R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
I love that stuff!

It makes a great coffee creamer.

Ingwe, where you been? I though you'd died.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Just not posting much. Had the flu last week, and got tired and disgusted with some of the drama here. Heading your way in a week! Tell the pigs that I'm coming, and hell is coming with me! laugh

Last edited by ingwe; 02/09/15.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Texas is the new Africa for those who don't want to get Ebola or pay $1500 for a plane ticket--and want to bring the meat home.

Sorry to hear about your flu. We've been lucky so far, but a few of our other friends haven't. Charlie Sisk got it at the SHOT Show and was in bed for a week.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Will be heading back to the Eastern Cape of RSA in mid April 2016. Tops on my list this time are Kudu and Bushbuck. I'm also looking into hunting the Limpopo area in either 2017 or 2018.

Craig

"Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes along the skyline."
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Just not posting much. Had the flu last week, and got tired and disgusted with some of the drama here. Heading your way in a week! Tell the pigs that I'm coming, and hell is coming with me! laugh

Glad to know you're on the green side of the sod.

I hope we have good weather while you're here. This past Friday some of us were at camp setting up for our parish men's outing on Saturday. The wind was whipping out of the north at about 25 mph, and with the temp at about 62 degrees and damp, the windchill was flat cold. Even the pigs stayed in bed! Glad you're over the flu, though. This time of year the yankees still wage war on us by bringing down their northern bugs. sick

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
John, think we can get some leopards started?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Texas is the new Africa for those who don't want to get Ebola or pay $1500 for a plane ticket--and want to bring the meat home.

Sorry to hear about your flu. We've been lucky so far, but a few of our other friends haven't. Charlie Sisk got it at the SHOT Show and was in bed for a week.

Mr MD, or anyone else with experience for that matter.......have any of you guys eaten scimitar oryx? I'm wanting to kill one to eat if it's anywhere near as good as a gemsbok???????

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have shot and eaten both. SHO tastes exactly like Gemsbok to my palate. Good stuff!!

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
+1

Ive eaten both..so similar it would be hard to pick who is who.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Have been to Namibia in '07 and enjoyed it immensely but at present have no plans for going back. Those blue bulls in Texas do interest me though.

If going back to Africa, I'd like buff and eland where I could reasonably combine those two. A good eland bull evaded me the first time.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 02/10/15.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
+1

A man your size knows a lot about food smile ..........Thanks for the intel!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Bighorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thinking about going back to TX for another Nilgai- man are they good eating!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JGRaider
+1

A man your size knows a lot about food smile ..........Thanks for the intel!

I love to cook, and you should NEVER trust a skinny cook....

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Since scimitar-horns and gemsbok will successfully interbreed, it's no wonder they taste similar. In fact one of the ranches I've hunted in Texas had a male crossbreed running around. Nobody was allowed to shoot him....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Very little of Africa actually has Ebola risk, but many hunters are canceling nonetheless.

Somehow I just can't go to TX to shoot African species, and the plane ticket to Africa isn't much more these days!

I'm planning to return to Namibia soon.

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that" - George Carlin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've left enough meat in Africa that a trip to Afritex seems my right move. I'd like to fill a freezer with cow eland. laugh

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, shooting "girls" is a good way to fill a freezer! I have plenty of trophy heads from Africa on the wall already, and some of the Asian animals available in Texas taste pretty darn good too....

John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Scimitar horned oryx and axis deer top my list of Texas edibles, with the caveat that I haven't yet shot a nilgai. I have a tough time deciding which is best, but I lean toward the oryx.

The last oryx I shot, while testing the Wby Back Country rifle, was this weird, deformed-horn fellow who the rancher wanted out of the herd. This was one of the fattest bulls I've seen, and a most-welcome addition to my freezer. If you can find a cull hunt for oryx, which is a bit like winning the lottery, jump on it!

[Linked Image]

This oryx is the one I put on the wall, posed looking back over a shoulder so the horns are parallel to the wall. It's a beautiful mount.

[Linked Image]

Axis rank high on my list for both trophy and tasty qualities. It is well worth the small expense of having hides from does tanned. The hides are beautiful additions to any game room.

[Linked Image]

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Looking at possible eastern cape but thinking Zambia for some unique species.

I though of Texas for a Scimtar Horned Oryx and a few other species you can't get in Africa.

Texas seems expensive for the African species.

JIm

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I'd like to see more African plains animals imported to S. Texas. Especially threatened/endangered ones. BTW...how about Siberian Tigers in the northern Rockies?

Last edited by idahoguy101; 02/10/15.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (22kHornet, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 222ND, 12344mag, 160user, 46 invisible), 1,957 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,876
Posts18,478,877
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.