Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Been looking at the .380 line of pistols lately. Which does everyone prefer? I like the Kimber Micro Carry, the S&W Bodyguard, and also the Kel-Tec model. Any others worth giving a good look at? Just wanting something reliable for conceal carry when wearing lighter clothing. Smaller and lighter the better for this circumstance I'd think.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bodyguard to Kel-Tec.

Also, look at an Airweight J-frame Centennial. They carry remarkably well in the pocket.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Tried most of them and for the size, shootability and sight quality I choose the Kahr P380....headshots at 25 yards are easy...

Has been totally reliable...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by RJM
Tried most of them and for the size, shootability and sight quality I choose the Kahr P380....headshots at 25 yards are easy...

Bob

I forgot about Kahr. Did you get a chance to try the Kimber Micro Carry? Just curious. I have not shot it but it feels great in my hand.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Any kind of safety on the Kahr?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I carry the bodyguard in a sticky holster in a front pocket. I like the controls of the 1911 and the bodyguard is as close as i can find for minimum weight/size. I carry mine w/o the safety on as the holster and da trigger will prevent ME from an ad. I have carried it for 5 or 6 years and the only trouble ever was the bolt for the laser backed out early on.

I won't say head shots at 25 are easy....but it is WAY more accurate than I ever thought it would be.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Been looking at the .380 line of pistols lately. Which does everyone prefer? I like the Kimber Micro Carry, the S&W Bodyguard, and also the Kel-Tec model. Any others worth giving a good look at? Just wanting something reliable for conceal carry when wearing lighter clothing. Smaller and lighter the better for this circumstance I'd think.

Buy an LCR.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Or a S&W .38sp Bodygaurd revolver with the factory Lazer. They only weigh 13 ounces and cost about the same as the Ruger LCR, and it comes with the factory Lazer.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RJM

Bob

+1

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
To the OP's original question, on small auto's I've been carrying a KelTec, ever since they first came out. It's never failed to feed or fire in all the years I've owned it.
But if I was buying one of the newer model .380's it would be the Sig 238.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have been more than pleased with my Kel Tec P3AT. I have TRIED TO make it hiccup and have not been able to. Extra light. dissapears into about any pocket, NO STUPID AND DANGEROUS EXTERIOR SAFETY, and blows through even cheap foriegn ammo and +P+ Buffalo Bore carry ammo without ever a bobble.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You do realize the safety can be left in position a or b right? Just cause' it is there doesn't mean it has to be used.

Last edited by high_country_; 02/12/15.

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman
I have been more than pleased with my Kel Tec P3AT. I have TRIED TO make it hiccup and have not been able to. Extra light. dissapears into about any pocket, NO STUPID AND DANGEROUS EXTERIOR SAFETY, and blows through even cheap foriegn ammo and +P+ Buffalo Bore carry ammo without ever a bobble.

An exterior safety is stupid and dangerous?

Wow.

I seem to recall them being on 1911 style pistols, including that "uber" RIA 10mm.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for all the info so far! I'm definitely going to keep looking. But for now, I can't deny how that Kimber Micro Carry felt in my hands today. Plain awesome! I just know though that some of the others are lighter and thinner/smaller in size and that bothers me some I guess. Especially when conceal ability is my main concern.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Only 380 I own is an LCP hecause my wife bought it for me

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If the Kimber feels great go for it... That is why I chose the Kahr over the others it size...it just fit my hand well and I liked the trigger pull.

And no it has no external safety....which I have to agree with safariman isn't the best thing to have on a defensive handgun....and this comes from a shooter who has carried a 1911 everyday for 35 years.

Bob

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
not much of a fan of pocket carry but If I do It.s a Kahr p380

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm sold on the new Glock 42.

Had a Ruger LCP and traded it on the 42.
I can HIT Lots better with the 42, it has better sights.

With a Hogue slip on grip, it's also very comfortable to shoot.

Virgil B.

Last edited by vbshootinrange; 02/13/15.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
^^^^

Don't tell Safaridouche you like your G42, he predicted it would be a flop.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'll buy a single stack 9mm if/when Glock produces one. Until then, this will have to do. Haven't carried my Kel-Tec since buying the G42.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been struggling with this as of late, many posts are made about the "unreliable" expansion of hollow points in the .380. I have seen multiple posts suggest using fmj or solids of some kind as they are reliable penetrators. There are numerous tests showing the xtp and gold dots and similar expanding and penetrating 10-14" +/-. If a JHP fails to expand, is it less dangerous than a FMJ? I see it as making a hole and performing similar to a FMJ......school me up on my error.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Been looking at the .380 line of pistols lately. Which does everyone prefer?

RickyBobby,

I spent a fair amount of time doing trial and error with a number of pocket pistols. I'll share some of my experiences, and maybe you'll find some of it useful.

1. Sig P238 (.380). I owned, shot, carried and reloaded for this gun for a year or so. It shot very well, and I especially liked the "real" rear sight. The gun shot every brand of ammo I fed it, as well as my hand loads. It was easy to disassemble, clean, and reassemble. As you probably know, Sig is VERY proud of their magazines. Factory mags used to cost $36.95 each. I haven't checked on them recently, however, you can use Colt Mustang mags and they worked perfectly for me ($20 ea at Midway). There was some controversy as to whether Mustang mags worked reliably or not, but it appears that discussion was limited to early models. I owned two or three mustang mags and never had any problems. The P238 was really nice to hold.

I ended up parting with it, because I didn't like the notion of a single action gun in my pocket in Condition 1. I'm not saying it's unsafe to carry like that; I just didn't feel comfortable. Also, at the time, I was still on the fence as to whether the .380 was "enough" for self-defense. I didn't have a Dillon 550 at the time and single stage reloading was a pain. Factory ammo for the .380 was about $18 per box when 9mm was about $11. I decided to sell it a try something else.

2. Kel Tec PF9 (9mm). I didn't care for this gun. It looked cheap. It felt cheap. The trigger pinched my finger (it did the same thing to Hickock45 when he did a video about the gun), and the trigger was heavy and gritty (I shot another PF9 and the trigger was just as bad on that one). But…it functioned well and was accurate. I shot it as well/as bad as any other gun.

3. Ruger LCR (.38 Spcl, .22lr, and .22mag). I have owned a .22 Mag and a .38 Spcl. I have shot probably 4 others, belonging to friends and students. It's another economy gun. I've known two to fail. Both were .38's and the cylinder would not rotate when you squeezed the trigger--which can be a problem in a DAO revolver. The two I owned and shot were fine. Ruger, in my limited experience, has great customer service should you need it. The sights are fairly worthless, but likely no more so than on any other J frame gun. The trigger was OK--not terrible but certainly not "great" or even "very good"--just "good." But, don't forget, it's a budget gun. I think LCRs are a very good value (as long as it doesn't break on you). My dad owns one in .22 Mag (not the one I owned previously) and I didn't try to talk him out of it when he wanted to buy it.

4. Glock 42 (.380). I didn't own it, but was considering buying it. Back before the law changed here in WA, I borrowed one to try. My wife, her friend and I shot it. I liked it--it's just a little bit big for a .380, maybe. If you're going to get a gun that takes up that much space, there are a lot of 9mm's out there. But, make no mistake, I liked it. Here is a link to a thread discussing the G42 ad nauseum (my comments are in there if you care).

5. Kahr CW9 (9mm). I've owned this gun, shot it, loved it, then decided it was too big and sold it. Then I missed owning it and bought another--loved it, shot it and decided to get something smaller. But, I still miss it. If you're going to carry in a holster, I'd say this is as good as a choice as any. Nice trigger, economical on the wallet, easy to point and shoot, reliable. I really enjoyed this gun.

6. Kahr PM9 (9mm). This is the Kahr CM9 with polygonal rifling and some other "higher quality" parts. I got a bit of a discount through Kahr's Instructor Program, so I decided to go with the PM9 over the CM9. Since buying the PM9 I've had the chance to compare it side-by-side with the CM9 and would not hesitate to recommend the less-expensive CM9 to buyers. Many people don't see polygonal rifling as an improvement and certainly wouldn't pay extra for it. Kahr trigger are long, but no longer than a Glock. I like how smooth they are. I had night sights put on my PM9 and got a few extra magazines, including an extended 7-round mag. Their extended mag does hold that extra round, but other than that, there isn't much good to say about it. The magazine does not create that feel of extending the grip of the gun; instead it's just a longer mag wrapped in plastic/rubber. I shoot fine with the extended mag, but Kahr just made zero effort to make it asthetically pleasing. That said, I love my PM9. It's currently my EDC gun. It's small, thin, accurate, and reliable. It's a 9mm, which makes factory ammo cheap and affordable--especially if you shoot remanufactured stuff bought in bulk. It's easy to care for--no special tools or special knowledge required. No external safety, but I see that as a plus. YMMV.

7. Kimber Micro (.380). Remember my dad who has the LCR .22 Mag? Well, he thought he should own an automatic. At age 75, he lacks hand strength. He could not work the slide well (if at all) on any short barreled 9mm. So we went gun shopping a few times and last weekend he bought a Kimber Micro CDP . He fiddled with a Sig P238 and the Kimber before settling on the Kimber. I don't know why, but I didn't want to like the Kimber--maybe because I was already partial to the P238. But, as I was dinking around with it at the counter, I liked it. A lot. We got some plinking ammo and some self-defense ammo and headed straight to the range. It shot 50 rounds out of the box without a bobble. It was accurate and easy to point and shoot. It has back strap checkering (made of metal, not the Kimber plastic) and front strap checkering. It's aggressive too! But it won't make you bleed. Recoil is what you'd expect. The external safety is ambi. The trigger is better than average. If you are (1) going to carry a single action with an external safety, and (2) you insist on a .380 over a 9mm, this is the one to get if you can afford it (you pay $400 for the Kimber name). Kimber mags are $20 each for 6-rounders (dad got 2 extra). I haven't seen the 7-round mag since the store didn't have any. He plans to get one, though.

8. Smith 9mm revolver. Owned one and sold it. Read my comments in THIS THREAD if you care.

I've owned a few other "smaller stuff" but not really in the league you're interested in so I won't bother with them.

Anyhoo, I hope this helps. Let us know what you get. 'cuz around here: When you get a new gun, we ALL get a new gun!! Woo Hoo! cool

Last edited by Waders; 02/14/15. Reason: Clarified I DIDN'T like the Kel Tec

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Waders

RickyBobby,

I spent a fair amount of time doing trial and error with a number of pocket pistols. I'll share some of my experiences, and maybe you'll find some of it useful.

1. Sig P238 (.380). I owned, shot, carried and reloaded for this gun for a year or so. It shot very well, and I especially liked the "real" rear sight. The gun shot every brand of ammo I fed it, as well as my hand loads. It was easy to disassemble, clean, and reassemble. As you probably know, Sig is VERY proud of their magazines. Factory mags used to cost $36.95 each. I haven't checked on them recently, however, you can use Colt Mustang mags and they worked perfectly for me ($20 ea at Midway). There was some controversy as to whether Mustang mags worked reliably or not, but it appears that discussion was limited to early models. I owned two or three mustang mags and never had any problems. The P238 was really nice to hold.

I ended up parting with it, because I didn't like the notion of a single action gun in my pocket in Condition 1. I'm not saying it's unsafe to carry like that; I just didn't feel comfortable. Also, at the time, I was still on the fence as to whether the .380 was "enough" for self-defense. I didn't have a Dillon 550 at the time and single stage reloading was a pain. Factory ammo for the .380 was about $18 per box when 9mm was about $11. I decided to sell it a try something else.

2. Kel Tec PF9 (9mm). I did care for this gun. It looked cheap. It felt cheap. The trigger pinched my finger (it did the same thing to Hickock45 when he did a video about the gun), and the trigger was heavy and gritty (I shot another PF9 and the trigger was just as bad on that one). But…it functioned well and was accurate. I shot it as well/as bad as any other gun.

3. Ruger LCR (.38 Spcl, .22lr, and .22mag). I have owned a .22 Mag and a .38 Spcl. I have shot probably 4 others, belonging to friends and students. It's another economy gun. I've known two to fail. Both were .38's and the cylinder would not rotate when you squeezed the trigger--which can be a problem in a DAO revolver. The two I owned and shot were fine. Ruger, in my limited experience, has great customer service should you need it. The sights are fairly worthless, but likely no more so than on any other J frame gun. The trigger was OK--not terrible but certainly not "great" or even "very good"--just "good." But, don't forget, it's a budget gun. I think LCRs are a very good value (as long as it doesn't break on you). My dad owns one in .22 Mag (not the one I owned previously) and I didn't try to talk him out of it when he wanted to buy it.

4. Glock 42 (.380). I didn't own it, but was considering buying it. Back before the law changed here in WA, I borrowed one to try. My wife, her friend and I shot it. I liked it--it's just a little bit big for a .380, maybe. If you're going to get a gun that takes up that much space, there are a lot of 9mm's out there. But, make no mistake, I liked it. Here is a link to a thread discussing the G42 ad nauseum (my comments are in there if you care).

5. Kahr CW9 (9mm). I've owned this gun, shot it, loved it, then decided it was too big and sold it. Then I missed owning it and bought another--loved it, shot it and decided to get something smaller. But, I still miss it. If you're going to carry in a holster, I'd say this is as good as a choice as any. Nice trigger, economical on the wallet, easy to point and shoot, reliable. I really enjoyed this gun.

6. Kahr PM9 (9mm). This is the Kahr CM9 with polygonal rifling and some other "higher quality" parts. I got a bit of a discount through Kahr's Instructor Program, so I decided to go with the PM9 over the CM9. Since buying the PM9 I've had the chance to compare it side-by-side with the CM9 and would not hesitate to recommend the less-expensive CM9 to buyers. Many people don't see polygonal rifling as an improvement and certainly wouldn't pay extra for it. Kahr trigger are long, but no longer than a Glock. I like how smooth they are. I had night sights put on my PM9 and got a few extra magazines, including an extended 7-round mag. Their extended mag does hold that extra round, but other than that, there isn't much good to say about it. The magazine does not create that feel of extending the grip of the gun; instead it's just a longer mag wrapped in plastic/rubber. I shoot fine with the extended mag, but Kahr just made zero effort to make it asthetically pleasing. That said, I love my PM9. It's currently my EDC gun. It's small, thin, accurate, and reliable. It's a 9mm, which makes factory ammo cheap and affordable--especially if you shoot remanufactured stuff bought in bulk. It's easy to care for--no special tools or special knowledge required. No external safety, but I see that as a plus. YMMV.

7. Kimber Micro (.380). Remember my dad who has the LCR .22 Mag? Well, he thought he should own an automatic. At age 75, he lacks hand strength. He could not work the slide well (if at all) on any short barreled 9mm. So we went gun shopping a few times and last weekend he bought a Kimber Micro CDP . He fiddled with a Sig P238 and the Kimber before settling on the Kimber. I don't know why, but I didn't want to like the Kimber--maybe because I was already partial to the P238. But, as I was dinking around with it at the counter, I liked it. A lot. We got some plinking ammo and some self-defense ammo and headed straight to the range. It shot 50 rounds out of the box without a bobble. It was accurate and easy to point and shoot. It has back strap checkering (made of metal, not the Kimber plastic) and front strap checkering. It's aggressive too! But it won't make you bleed. Recoil is what you'd expect. The external safety is ambi. The trigger is better than average. If you are (1) going to carry a single action with an external safety, and (2) you insist on a .380 over a 9mm, this is the one to get if you can afford it (you pay $400 for the Kimber name). Kimber mags are $20 each for 6-rounders (dad got 2 extra). I haven't seen the 7-round mag since the store didn't have any. He plans to get one, though.

8. Smith 9mm revolver. Owned one and sold it. Read my comments in THIS THREAD if you care.

I've owned a few other "smaller stuff" but not really in the league you're interested in so I won't bother with them.

Anyhoo, I hope this helps. Let us know what you get. 'cuz around here: When you get a new gun, we ALL get a new gun!! Woo Hoo! cool

Excellent write up that I thouroughly enjoyed! It's these kind of posts that help me make a more informed decision when spending my hard earned money. Thanks a bunch!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I had a Ruger LCP but with my big hands I had to get a mag. extension to make it fit better. I added a laser because of the lack of sights and the trigger pulled was so heavy that it only worked best when I used two fingers (trigger finger from each hand)
In short, it was a cheap piece of junk that was easy to carry and conceal.
I came across the little sister to my Sig 226, It's Sigs 232, this gun is well made, has great night sights, nice trigger pull and conceals and carries with the best of them.
It's a pleasure to shoot.
[Linked Image]

"The older I get, the better I was"
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
I'll buy a single stack 9mm if/when Glock produces one. Until then, this will have to do. Haven't carried my Kel-Tec since buying the G42.

[Linked Image]

Me too. I haven't carried the PF-9 or the P-32 since I got the G-42. I do carry a G-27 or G-19 as my apparel allows but the G-42 fits most anywhere. I really wish they would make a 9 of course.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I think they'll eventually come out with a single stack 9mm, but don't think there's anyway it'll be the size of the G42. Lots of guys bad-mouthing the G42 on the 'net because it's "big" for a .380, but IMO, it's great, especially for those who have been training with and carrying Glocks for years. Glock controls, Glock reliabilty, real sights, and disappears easily.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Glock sure does have a huge following ... I need to start taking them more seriously

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by deflave
Buy an LCR.

Travis

I went to do just that after work tonight, but the only one they had was the display and the cylinder had rotation marks bad enough from everyone handling it that it turned me away. I'm headed to the big city next week and may see what I can find. Would really like to find a 9mm.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I ain't a moon clip kinda guy.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just picked up a Glock 42. Have been carrying a Glock 23 and the transition was simple. Yes, it is not the smallest .380 but it fits great and it's still a glock. Lots of other great .380's out there, its gotta feel right for you.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'm old school too. Two PPK/S Walthers and a Colt .380.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
glock 42 all the way. we live fairly close u can shoot one of mine if u chose

FJB
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Shot the 42 for the first time today, love the little bastard. Got 500 rounds of Gold DOT coming.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I'm not sure anyone answered my question earlier in this post, but does the Kahr p380 have any kind of safety on it?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not sure anyone answered my question earlier in this post, but does the Kahr p380 have any kind of safety on it?

Hammer less, Double Action Only. Why would it need a safety?

Swifty
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Hammer less, Double Action Only. Why would it need a safety?

Not sure really ... I guess comfort or peace of mind when carrying with a round in chamber. Educate me. Carrying is a whole new thing for me.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

[Linked Image]

What sights are on your 42?

How does it shoot? Does it jam?

I have heard rumors that the 42's can be cranky about ammo. I work with some guys that swear they can make head shots at 25 yards with their 42's. I find this hard to buy since the same guys can't make head shots at 25 yards with their glock 22's.

I really want a glock single stack 9 but may have to buy one in .380.

Dink

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Trijicon HD's.

Mine has been flawless with Hornady Critical Defense, Federal Low-Recoil Hydra-Shok, and UMC ball. Only ammo it didn't like is that Tula steel cased chitt from Wal-Mart.

Mine is stamped with the "1" revision frame/internals, but shipped with very first series magazines. I bought two more "02" stamped mags from Midway and haven't had any issues with either and haven't had any FTF/FTE (other than Tula) or any of the slide lock-back issues with rounds still in the mag.

I don't doubt there has been some problematic G42's, but I think a lot of it is people inadvertently hitting the slide release, limp wristing, cheap ammo, and a whole lot of re-reporting of troubled guns all across the 'net.

"My cousin's uncle's co-worker talked to his brother-in-law who is a cop and he said he was at the range and someone had a rental G42 and it malfunctioned".

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
As with any DAO, the long stiff trigger pull is your safety just like a hammer less revolver. Should be no worries carrying with 1 in the chamber as long as you keep your finger out of the trigger guard.

Swifty
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
As with any DAO, the long stiff trigger pull is your safety just like a hammer less revolver. Should be no worries carrying with 1 in the chamber as long as you keep your finger out of the trigger guard.

I see your point, just not sold on the idea. Not saying it's wrong at all. Just not something I'm wanting to maybe risk. I get some experience carrying and that may change. That Kahr p380 would probably get the nod if it wasn't for that.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

I see your point, just not sold on the idea. Not saying it's wrong at all. Just not something I'm wanting to maybe risk. I get some experience carrying and that may change. That Kahr p380 would probably get the nod if it wasn't for that.

Get pepper spray.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by RJM
If the Kimber feels great go for it... That is why I chose the Kahr over the others it size...it just fit my hand well and I liked the trigger pull.

And no it has no external safety....which I have to agree with safariman isn't the best thing to have on a defensive handgun....and this comes from a shooter who has carried a 1911 everyday for 35 years.

Bob

Are you carrying the p380 with a round in the chamber? Just curious.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Get pepper spray.

HaHa! You're real funny.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Buy an LCR.

Travis

That would be my choice for a pocket rocket.

Five pokes, full caliber 160gr wadcutter at about 1000 fps. Ruger LCR 357.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
It doesn't have a safety

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by RJM

And no it has no external safety....which I have to agree with safariman isn't the best thing to have on a defensive handgun...

That dumbphhuckk is constantly boasting how he carries a He-Man 10mm RIA 1911, which has TWO external safeties (thumb and grip), so I wouldn't pay one bit of attention to anything he says.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
How the [bleep] could one have ever carried a revolver?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I ain't a moon clip kinda guy.

I know, but cases of 9mm in the garage sure make it tempting.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

Buy an LCR.

Travis

That would be my choice for a pocket rocket.

Five pokes, full caliber 160gr wadcutter at about 1000 fps. Ruger LCR 357.

You know, this does interest me some though. I am familiar with the 357mag and have shot one for quite a few years. In fact, I reload for my 629 revolver and my Marlin 1894. I know how hard the 357mag can hit. I've witnessed it with my own 2 eyes! Now I'm really confused.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I know the story about opinions, azzholes, and doorknobs. Everybody has one or uses one.

For a pocket pistol, I'll take 100% reliability and complete penetration via full caliber wadcutter.

I had a S&W 642 some years back. Sold it. Today I'd roll with an LCR 357 pushing 160gr wadcutters at 1K fps.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
A 629 is a 44 magnum. Regardless, a revolver DOESN'T have a safety.

Get the pepper spray.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Kubaton... whistle

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
A 629 is a 44 magnum. Regardless, a revolver DOESN'T have a safety.

Get the pepper spray.

Sorry ... meant 686

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Still no safety

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
BaHaHaHaHa!

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I really think the Kimber Micro Carry is what I'll end up with anyway. Now I just have to decide on which model. I like that all stainless Raptor with the night sights ... just not sure yet.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Waders

RickyBobby,

2. Kel Tec PF9 (9mm). I didn't care for this gun. It looked cheap. It felt cheap. The trigger pinched my finger (it did the same thing to Hickock45 when he did a video about the gun), and the trigger was heavy and gritty (I shot another PF9 and the trigger was just as bad on that one). But…it functioned well and was accurate. I shot it as well/as bad as any other gun.

Nice write-up, Waders. You definitely dumped a lot of first hand info out of your brain and onto the table.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
This is worth looking at if you can find it locally. Some fluff, but good info with all kinds of specs/weights/sizes.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
This is worth looking at if you can find it locally. Some fluff, but good info with all kinds of specs/weights/sizes.

[Linked Image]

Thank you much! Know where I can look for it? Looks very informative.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I picked it up at Fred Meyer

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S&W 642; Ruger LCR.

Cut the bullschit and just get it done.

If you can figure out how to f'k up carrying either of those, you shouldn't be carrying anything other than a spare helmet for your window licking idiot self.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Alrighty then

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know the Op didn't ask, but am I the only one carrying the Taurus 738 TCP ?

No safety, double action only, 10.2 oz empty ( 13 loaded ) easy Crimson Trace adaptable. Slide locks open on last shot.

Mine has been utterly reliable with everything I run in it.

The CT laser sight works incredibly well and really brings out all the accuracy of the piece.

Last edited by Blacktail53; 02/15/15.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I put my Colt Mustang back in the box and bought a Colt Govt 380. Guess I like the Colts. It fits my larger hands and shots very well. All the neighbor hood cats (the ones left) run when they see me. "Here kitty kitty kitty"

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Trijicon HD's.

Mine has been flawless with Hornady Critical Defense, Federal Low-Recoil Hydra-Shok, and UMC ball. Only ammo it didn't like is that Tula steel cased chitt from Wal-Mart.

Mine is stamped with the "1" revision frame/internals, but shipped with very first series magazines. I bought two more "02" stamped mags from Midway and haven't had any issues with either and haven't had any FTF/FTE (other than Tula) or any of the slide lock-back issues with rounds still in the mag.

I don't doubt there has been some problematic G42's, but I think a lot of it is people inadvertently hitting the slide release, limp wristing, cheap ammo, and a whole lot of re-reporting of troubled guns all across the 'net.

"My cousin's uncle's co-worker talked to his brother-in-law who is a cop and he said he was at the range and someone had a rental G42 and it malfunctioned".

Thanks for the info.

Dink

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by RED53
I put my Colt Mustang back in the box and bought a Colt Govt 380. Guess I like the Colts. It fits my larger hands and shots very well. All the neighbor hood cats (the ones left) run when they see me. "Here kitty kitty kitty"

For some reason Colt is another one I forget about at times ... I'll look them up.

I called my local dealer yesterday and have him pricing several of the 380's out for me. Anxious to hear back from him so I can get a decision made.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
How many rounds are these little 380 pocket pistols good for?

.... because I do plan on having some range time

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

[Linked Image]

The store about 3 blocks to the east of you.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R

I read on the internet 310 ... so who's right???

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R

[Linked Image]

The store about 3 blocks to the east of you.

The only place of business 3 blocks east of me is a strip joint

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Seriously though

2,000 - 5,000 - 10,000 rounds

I wouldn't think the lightweight polymers would last as long, but then again that part has nothing to do with barrel life

... just curious

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Several years ago, there was a Rental Glock 17 at a Gun Range in CA that had over 200K documented rounds down range. Don't know if it's still going, but Glocks are Definately the Energizer Bunny of handguns.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Several years ago, there was a Rental Glock 17 at a Gun Range in CA that had over 200K documented rounds down range. Don't know if it's still going, but Glocks are Definately the Energizer Bunny of handguns.

Holy Smokes! Doubt I have anything to worry about then.

Really I find it very easy to go through 50-100rds a session with a semiauto pistol. If you do that once a month, maybe more, the rounds can add up quickly

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by RJM

Bob

Are you carrying the p380 with a round in the chamber? Just curious.

Yes...always...1911, Glock, Kahr...makes no difference.

Having taught CC classes since 1991 I know what you are going through psychologically and I have had tons of new shooters feel the same way about carrying a "loaded" gun. If you would put a snubbie in your pocket you can put a DA semi in your pocket just as safely.

DO NOT put a "safe action" like a Glock of XD in a pocket or IWB without using a holster. There are way too many cases of something getting caught in the triggerguard and discharging the gun... But I have never heard of a DA revolver or semi going off if the gun was not cocked to the single action position. And with the DAO Kahr it can't happen anyway.

Go over to YouTube or LiveLeak and do a search on "shootings", "armed robberies", and see how these actually go down...then ask yourself if you want a manual safety between you and death...

Took a lady who wants to start carrying to a large gun store today...she looked at just about all of the above mentioned guns and came home with a Kahr P380.

Bob

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks a TON!

I really am liking that Kahr P380 if I can get past the no safety part ... and you're definitely helping move me in the right direction. I'm especially liking the model with night sights. I think lots of range time handling the pistol and lots of days carrying it and I would get comfortable with it. The "no safety" truly makes sense to me ... just hard to get past right now.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It's pretty simple to pack a small DAO pistol safely in a pocket. Just DO NOT have any other items IN THAT POCKET!

No worry about something hanging up in the trigger guard that way.

Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'd be surprised if you keep putting 100 rounds per month through a Kahr .380, because after the honeymoon is over (maybe around the 6 month mark), you'll start to enjoy shooting it less. The recoil is snappier (is that a word?) in those micros, making extended range sessions kind of a drag (my experience anyway).

Regardless, I wouldn't sweat wearing one out. For $330, if you put 10,000 rounds through it and kill it dead, go hang it on the peg board in your shop and proudly show it off. How many people do you know that actually shot a gun so much that they flat wore it out?!

Go buy another and do it all over! smile

Anyway...have fun!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Was going to visit a friend tonight and actually carried the P380 tonight instead of the Commander I normally carry...

This is the DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster...it also works just like a Remora IWB holster as it appears to be made out of the same material.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Night sights while not really necessary have a better sight picture than the standard ones...

[Linked Image]

Bob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is exactly how my P-380 rides in my pocket. Seems like the hook on mine extends out farther though. Love how it comes out of the pocket with no holster. Cant also think it keeps some pocket dirt out of the pistol as well.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Got BodyGuard .380's for each of my three girls. They have Kimber .45's but none have their carry permit yet. Two working ion it, one lives in MD ('nuff said) but will be moving back to Colorado in a month or two and will get a carry permit here.

My PPK/s has been semi-retired in favor of a S&W Shield in .40S&W. The two are the same size overall but the Shield's trigger guard extends down further, as measured from the top of the slide, so I had to get a new holster.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Isn't Colorado talking about Constitutional carry or is that a pipe dream?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's a lot of pipe related dreaming in Colorado these days.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Isn't Colorado talking about Constitutional carry or is that a pipe dream?

One of the legislators has a proposal that would relax restrictions but I haven't read it. I've heard it would keep people who open carry legally from breaking the law if they put a coat on and "conceal" their gun by doing so. Don't know anything else about it.

Hope it passes.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Just sealed the deal on a Kimber Micro CDP w/night sights. It was an Internet transaction so might be a little while before I have it in my hands ... can't friggin wait! I sure hope I take a liking to it. I know the ones I held @ local shops felt really good in my hands, that's the main reason for getting it. Just felt right! Hope it's a shooter. I'll post up pics here when I have it. Haven't added to the stable for some time so it's exciting to me!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I really like my Glock 42,small,lightweight,easy to carry and I like the trigger much better than the bodyguard that I had,now if they would make an internal laser like the other glocks,it would be awesome,maybe in time...

There are a lot more ½" rifles than ½" shooters.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 21, 2500HD, 66 invisible), 2,427 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,413
Posts18,470,470
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.