Print Thread
Hop To
B
BGunn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
wow... I've dropped some stuff down the ice hole before that I had to get back, but I've always been able to do so without going swimming.

lol.

Something clever here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
crazy

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is why I refuse to buy one of those underwater cameras that uses your phone or tablet as the screen. I can just see myself or my kids fumbling it and down she goes.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
B
BGunn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
After about 40 years of ice fishing, I've been very lucky not to loose anything down the hole (Knock on Wood !!), other than about a 15# whitefish I landed, and then it went nuts in the ice hut, and back down the hole cry .
Instead of phones though, we all use cheap FRS radio's to talk to friends on the ice just for that reason.

My cousin did loose a set of brand new $400.00 eye glasses up at Simcoe one day, while landing a 13# northern on 2# test line.

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Lifeproof phone cases are waterproof and the make the LifeJacket cover to go with them. It's a float that the phone case snaps into, buddy of mine got one for his daughter to use when they go out on his saltwater boat. If it goes overboard you just scoop it up with the landing net and rinse it in freshwater.

I don't have one but I have thought about it, especially when trying to film and throw the spear at the same time. Usually just wedge mine in between the support poles and the fabric of my popup so I can listen to tunes while I fish if I'm alone.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I go fishing to get away from that stuff, no phone or radio on the ice or in the boat either. Took a vow when hunting with a cousin and a party of favorites years ago. We were pushing a river bottom for pheasants in head high weeds when Don's phone goes off and he calls a halt to the drive. All you heard was Yes dear. Yes dear. We'll be home soon dear. Turned out he was getting a grocery list and orders to bring the groceries home soon.

Was a few years before we let him live that one down.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
All I can say is if you choose to use one of the things to take videos, play tunes, be your fishfinder, and (for all I know) give you a pocket massage, then you should just plan on dropping the thing overboard. Personally, I use my phone to make phone calls. It stays in an inside pocket unless it rings or I need to call home. I use my hands to hold fishing rods.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another reason NOT to bring a phone - if you do anything stupid it will end up on youtube! I can feel some of the fellow's pain though. Last weekend I lost the front cap to a spinning reel. It popped off as I landed a fish. . Got the fish in the bucket in time to see it float to the bottom on the underwater camera ( that doesn't connect to my cell phone!) Laying there nice on the bottom. The reel still works, but I don't think the spool will come off without persuasion. And as long as it works it will stay in once piece! Went back to my shop and got the big retriever magnet, but alas it was not steel ;-( Oh, and I have 3 depth finders laying on the bottom. But no way am I diving!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (22250rem, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 260Remguy, 61 invisible), 2,529 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,479
Posts18,490,041
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.