Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by montanabadger
My cases sit upside down in the loading block, I weigh the charge pour it into the case, from there the case goes directly into the press and the bullet is seated

Gotcha.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Glad you are ok..

Molon Labe
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Detonation as the gunsmith used it, I'd think meant what happens when you use too little of some slow powders. Don't fill the case and the powder doesn't burn correctly and causes a huge spike in pressures. lots of times referred to as a secondary explosion or detonation. But not something you'd think would happen with pistol powder. I've been reloading since 1959, and don't ever use pistol/shotgun, powders in a rifle case for something like fire forming.

Ghost
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
That stuff leaves a lot of unburned powder in the barrel, if this happened after a long string, you may have had a bullet stuck in the barrel.......happened to me once, but I noticed the stuck bullet before the next shot.

Double_D
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Double_D
That stuff leaves a lot of unburned powder in the barrel, if this happened after a long string, you may have had a bullet stuck in the barrel.......happened to me once, but I noticed the stuck bullet before the next shot.
The previous shot mad a hole in the target.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
glad you are not hurt.

If you have a digital scale, you might weigh the rest of the loaded rounds. It's a fairly quick way to spot any double or missing charges.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I've learned not to trust powder measures at all. I have two of the top brand measures and both of them will occasionally get the drop tube jammed enough to prevent the full charge to drop. But on the next one the extra powder comes down and you have an overload. This has happened too many times, even with short cut powders. I haven't seen it with the super fine ball powders though. So now I put each charge on the scale enough to catch the real light or real heavy loads. Slow but I don't shoot that much center fire at a time anyway.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
At least you still have your parts connected.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My cases sit upside down in the loading block, I weigh the charge pour it into the case, from there the case goes directly into the press and the bullet is seated

Glad you're okay. By the way the above system must be correct. It's how I do it. smile

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
easy with a flake powder like blue dot to get bridging in the drop tube but OP states he was weighing each charge and then filling a case. all I can say is thank God you can still see!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You do know why Trail Boss and SR-4579 were invented?.

P.S - glad you're okay. And I've played with Blue Dot to some degree, but luckily (I suppose) it never gave me any sort of accuracy.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Good example of why powder manufactuers don't know [bleep] ...........sarcasum

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My first and only double charge that I caught was in 45acp coming off a Dillon turret press. Made a big impression. I now look into every case that rotates around the shell holder after throwing a charge. I also use a shell block/holder for rifle cases and look into every case before seating bullets after powder is dumped in. I've saved myself a lot of pain and money by doing so.

Last edited by SBTCO; 02/21/15.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

You do know why Trail Boss and SR-4579 were invented?.

P.S - glad you're okay. And I've played with Blue Dot to some degree, but luckily (I suppose) it never gave me any sort of accuracy.

I have read that SR4759 is discontinued

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Happy to hear you are OK and have survived a loading mishap of some sort. I'll just casually suggest that human error, as much as we'd all like to believe it "wasn't me", is usually to blame in these instances. After a surprise with pistol powder in rifle rounds, I've changed my practices accordingly. I, like you, am quite meticulous in my loading habits...but I've been around long enough to know that most [bleep]-ups in life belong to those who where there to witness them.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have to ask...why Blue Dot in a rifle cartridge?

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rifle

I've been asking the same thing for 30+ years. crazy

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Easy to make mistakes, probably so double dip. Wonder what a chrono would of read on that load. Just something that makes you more aware of what your doing.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Has this been answered here?

Anyway, I do not use Blue Dot powder. It is a good powder but has a freakish nature to it. There is a warning not to use it in the .41 Magnum. Why, who knows. Just like 800X for the 10 mm. Wrong combination of bullet, load density, temperature and other varibles can cause a problem without warning. Best just to stay away from it.

Glad your okay.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

I've been asking the same thing for 30+ years. crazy
. Do a search on this site, and you will find a whole bunch of info on the subject.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 52 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,408
Posts18,470,229
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.