Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ldholton
Let me play devial's advocate, First you say it was in a bad area , so the cops are used to all kinds of BS in that area,.Next you say you let the area when instructed not to do so.( yes I understand why you did and probably would have done the same) So what the cops new there was a problem in a bad area and all parties left the seen and they don't know you from adam . so yes they might be a bit short and "rude" till thinks get lined out

1. A dispatcher cannot instruct me to do a damn thing. They can suggest stuff, but they can't order me to do anything. And when it is stupid, I don't have to listen.

2. When they met me, I was at my place of employment, in uniform (scrubs) not some idiot doofus on the street in the Phillips neighborhood with pants at my knees and some flat-billed cap on backwards.

3. Telling someone they shouldn't be allowed to have handguns because they are a civilian is a tad past "rude."

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Judge Napolitano covered it last night. If you're directed into a sobriety checkpoint hand the cop your license and registration, keep your mouth shut. You aren't required to have a conversation with the cop.

Right. The sooner this bullcrap is thrown our by SCOTUS, the better off we will be.
What's next, "Sir, can I see your smartphone" - oops too late. This is in the same arena as "red light cameras".
bigwhoop - retired leo.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
OT-

There was the guy here in Oregon that got a DUI while pushing a broken down motorcycle over to a friends house so they could work on it. He had been drinking, but isn't DUI Driving Under the Influence?

Or the cases of people getting a DUI while sleeping in their car, after drinking and presumably driving, but because their keys were in the passenger compartment they are presumed guilty, rather than presumed innocent.

Lots of similar cases of DUI arrests.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Oh yes let's hear this story".

Been a damn sight more than one where I'm concerned. I've related them on this forum before, and some in conversations around a real campfire with members here.

Your opinion is not important enough for me to do all that typing again.

And I reckon I'll see Gunner at Ed's gathering in a couple of months. If he's still interested, I'll tell him then.

I'll just say that some of you must have led a sheltered life if you've never come across a badge heavy cop.

But to discount other folk's experiences based on your lack of experiences is arrogance beyond belief.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Some people seem to attract trouble too. I never "discounted" your experince, so sorry to hurt the one feeling you had left

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by nighthawk
I've never understood how people get joy by poking a hornet nest with a stick.

Right, and by the number of cars I see parked without a driver and waiting on a wrecker, I'm glad they have the drunk checkpoints, don't drive drunk or on dope and you don't have a thing to worry about.

People are to damn pussified these days.

If you don't drive drunk or on drugs then you won't feel you need to try tricks on an officer. Now the debate about constitutional another argument. I am for taking drunk and drug impaired drivers off the road but I am not sure such stops are legal without probable cause. Sadly that probable cause to often comes in the form of a drunk passed out in his car parked in the middle of an accident where sober law abiding people are already dead.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting thread. Just to clarify - in most states law enforcement only needs reasonable suspicion to stop you to investigate to see if a crime is being / has been committed. They need probable cause to effect an arrest.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by oldtimer303
Folks if an officers asks for permission to search/ take a quick look or whatever, he does not have legal authority to do a search. If he already had probable cause, he would not ask for permission. Use your right to say no thank you. Why give consent for vehicle search when you would not even think twice about denying search of your home. GW

Good advice, folks.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am more terrified of Latheshia having an argument with her boyfriend on the cell phone as she barrels down on me in her Land Rover than Granddad having 3 beers and driving home. Common sense, and letting a cop make a judgement call is no longer an option, the dipchits like MAD with "save one child" carried it too far, reasonable behavior is punished, Latishia is more deadly and drunks on their 10th offense still drive a car.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I29 through South Dakota is used for a fair amount of drug shipments. Never ceases to amaze me how often a drug runner will grant permission for a search after being pulled over for a minor traffic offense.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
It always entertains me to no end and at the same time confuses me when I see these anti-cop posts here on the campfire. Simple solution to it all is don't draw attention to yourself and you won't have an issue. If you're driving drunk in this day and age you deserve to go to jail. It's not like you haven't been warned. And that theory pretty much applies to every other issue one might have with Law Enforcement. If you're not drawing attention to yourself by pushing the limits of the law, no one will even look twice at you. It's when people run their mouth about what they can and can't do that someone takes notice and when they break the law they are the first ones to get it broke off in their azz. But, then again this is the inter-web.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Fireball2
OT-

There was the guy here in Oregon that got a DUI while pushing a broken down motorcycle over to a friends house so they could work on it. He had been drinking, but isn't DUI Driving Under the Influence?

Or the cases of people getting a DUI while sleeping in their car, after drinking and presumably driving, but because their keys were in the passenger compartment they are presumed guilty, rather than presumed innocent.

Lots of similar cases of DUI arrests.

What you're dealing with is the laws on the books and how they are written. The laws usually refer to "operating" a vehicle as well.

It sounds like a stretch at first glance, but pushing a vehicle on a public roadway could be classified as "operating" a vehicle.

Parked with the key in the ignition...that might look like "operating" under the law as well.

There are lots of things you can do legally while sober that are illegal to do when intoxicated, and for good reasons.

The charge might have been Drunk in Public if he was not pushing a vehicle...he can fight the charge...I would.

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Aught6
It always entertains me to no end and at the same time confuses me when I see these anti-cop posts here on the campfire. Simple solution to it all is don't draw attention to yourself and you won't have an issue. If you're driving drunk in this day and age you deserve to go to jail. It's not like you haven't been warned. And that theory pretty much applies to every other issue one might have with Law Enforcement. If you're not drawing attention to yourself by pushing the limits of the law, no one will even look twice at you. It's when people run their mouth about what they can and can't do that someone takes notice and when they break the law they are the first ones to get it broke off in their azz. But, then again this is the inter-web.

Yep, that's right. Just roll over and take anything they say or want to dish out to you. Your type is just as guilty as the overzealous cops concerning this problem.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
My type doesn't have issues with law enforcement because I don't go around breaking the law or shooting off my mouth about it. Perhaps down south you have a different brand of justice as "check points" aren't conducted where I live because they were found unconstitutional years ago. You need a valid reason for a traffic stop in Michigan not just random harassment. Our LEO's have a higher threshold to meet and operate at a higher standard apparently. I've seen many threads on here about these things and most are generated out of Florida and other southern states. Sounds like they have some catching up to do.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mirage243
Yep, that's right. Just roll over and take anything they say or want to dish out to you. Your type is just as guilty as the overzealous cops concerning this problem.

[sarcasm] Yup, go to the mattresses over every perceived slight no matter how insignificant or you're a commie-pinko-pussy. [/sarcasm]

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ldholton
Some people seem to attract trouble too. I never "discounted" your experince, so sorry to hurt the one feeling you had left
You seem to be a rude dickweasel.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
if you're not drunk driving, why not cooperate? if you are drunk driving, you deserve a good stick beating and heavy fine.

My diploma is a DD214
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Bottom line is; If you're not drunk while operating a vehicle on a public roadway you won't go to jail for it. If you do, get a lawyer and fight it at the expense of the agency that jailed you. If you are drunk and operating a vehicle on a public roadway then your ass needs to go to jail and if you whine about it you should have your ass kicked because you are endangering the rest of the law abiding people on the road. If you have issue with that then you are most likely a drunk in denial.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You need a valid reason for a traffic stop in Michigan not just random harassment. Our LEO's have a higher threshold to meet and operate at a higher standard apparently.

Joseph Weekley could have shot a child sleeping on a couch in any other state and got by with it so don't go claiming yours are better than everyone else's. Great thing about police, they are all about the same and the system to allow them to operate as they do is about the same where ever you go.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bottom line is; If you're not drunk while operating a vehicle on a public roadway you won't go to jail for it. If you do, get a lawyer and fight it at the expense of the agency that jailed you. If you are drunk and operating a vehicle on a public roadway then your ass needs to go to jail and if you whine about it you should have your ass kicked because you are endangering the rest of the law abiding people on the road. If you have issue with that then you are most likely a drunk in denial.

Fortunately the officer and the agencies aren't on the hook for the legal bills. Fortunately, that gets paid by the tax payer.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

245 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 21 invisible), 1,711 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,122
Posts18,483,677
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.