Hop To
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Enough money can ensure that each time a person is charged for DUI, it's a first offense, and may be plead down to a lesser offense.

CD.....you and I are of a similar mind in regards to checkpoints, but we'll diverge on the above statement (at least in my AO).

If I plea a DWI charge of any sort, including a DWI 2nd or Aggravated DWI down to a "basic" first offense, I am mandated NY RSA to write a letter detailing why I did so to the AG. Those letters are, by nature, open to a FOIA inquiry. Not sure I'd like to write too many of those or have a repeat offender kill someone after I pled it down and document it.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
i'm gonna ask my local sherrif when i see him what he thinks his deputies reaction would be.Think i'll stick to just cooperate with leo

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Think i'll stick to just cooperate with leo

I think that is what most here will do. Thing is some of us don't think it is constitutional. Some here seem OK with bending over for the boys in blue, and some of the boys in blue seem to like that. The ones of us that think that it is against the constitutional will keep trying to get it stopped. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It appears I didn't make my point clearly.... I'll try again:

A first offense, with no attendant vehicle accident, is ALWAYS a misdemeanor here. BUT..... it can be used to enhance a subsequent offense, and therein lies the danger as far as a first conviction.

So...... you spend whatever it takes to avoid the FIRST conviction. A good lawyer can ALWAYS plead it down to reckless driving, public drunkeness, etc.

But, if you are charged again in the same jurisdiction, and get the same P A , they can be MUCH harder for your lawyer to deal with.

A fishing friend of mine currently doing 90 days in the County Jail for a THIRD DUI offense. He also got a TEN year probated prison sentence. The P A went all the way back 19 years to get the one that made it a Third Offense.

He ran up over 20 grand in legal fees to avoid the Pen.

Sad thing is that he hasn't learned and no amount of money will get him off if he is charged again. He will go straight to Huntsville to do his ten years.

If he had spent a fraction of that twenty grand on the one he got 19 years ago, he would have been much better off.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DWI Checkpoint = "can I see your paper's" ...in my best east German speak..

Last edited by atvalaska; 02/23/15.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Not your fault.....I understood but didn't reply as coherently as I should have. Multitasking on the cell, apologies.

My above applies to a first offense as well. It's a Misdemeanor B (the lesser of our two misdemeanors) for a first. It used to be "standard" to plea a first to a Reckless Operation and the "client" would eat ALS (the Admin. suspension from the state). Then came the letter writing......

I agree, though, that a client is better off spending the cash on the first offense to try to beat it (if they can't simply NOT drink and drive).

George

Last edited by NH K9; 02/23/15.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You should drown your friend the next time yall go fishing.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Any good cop should treat drunks like this.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by mirage243
Any good cop should treat drunks like this.

While the urge to slap the [bleep] may be over whelming ( I have that urge from time tto time myself with some people ) , a professional can not do that , big no no

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ldholton
While the urge to slap the [bleep] may be over whelming a professional can not do that , big no no

Sure he can, didn't you watch the video?

LOL
IC B3

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
"I tell you what to do, you do it. It's that simple"

Bring on the checkpoints!

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Give the cop credit for slapping him BEFORE he cuffed him. It generally happens AFTER the cuffing, when it happens at all.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
You should drown your friend the next time yall go fishing.

See... it's like I posted earlier... you cops don't comprehend "Live and let live".

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by milespatton
Think i'll stick to just cooperate with leo

I think that is what most here will do. Thing is some of us don't think it is constitutional. Some here seem OK with bending over for the boys in blue, and some of the boys in blue seem to like that. The ones of us that think that it is against the constitutional will keep trying to get it stopped. miles

I for one am not at all sure it is legal.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
best bet is to become friends with several of them, so when you get arrested for shooting up your old lady's ex's truck while he's sitting in it, they'll book you on something like attempted aggravate assault and the judge throws it out because either you assault someone or you dont.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

A good lawyer can ALWAYS plead it down to reckless driving, public drunkeness, etc.

No, he can't. Not always. Not even most of the time.

Unless you live in a jurisdiction where the prosecutor is corrupt.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

A first offense, with no attendant vehicle accident, is ALWAYS a misdemeanor here. BUT..... it can be used to enhance a subsequent offense, and therein lies the danger as far as a first conviction.

So...... you spend whatever it takes to avoid the FIRST conviction.

You only do that if you intend to continue driving drunk in the future.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

So...... you spend whatever it takes to avoid the FIRST conviction.

I always thought an honest man, if he blew over the limit, ought to just take responsibility for his actions and plead guilty.

I get a lot of disagreement about that.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deflave
DUI checkpoints are proof positive that this country is totally [bleep].

They should be fought tooth and nail in every jurisdiction in this country.

Travis

They're illegal in Texas.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

A fishing friend of mine currently doing 90 days in the County Jail for a THIRD DUI offense. He also got a TEN year probated prison sentence. The P A went all the way back 19 years to get the one that made it a Third Offense.

He ran up over 20 grand in legal fees to avoid the Pen.

Sad thing is that he hasn't learned and no amount of money will get him off if he is charged again. He will go straight to Huntsville to do his ten years.

If he had spent a fraction of that twenty grand on the one he got 19 years ago, he would have been much better off.

Yeah, he'd be drinking and driving for many more years to come.

You're kind of an enabler, aren't you.

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1minute, 160user, 21, 222Sako, 257_X_50, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 2,630 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,856
Posts18,478,514
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.