Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Gibby
There you go, Trail Boss for lead only.

BS

Look at the load data on it. It's for jacketed bullet use. I've used it w/ jacketed bullets in a low-numbered Springfield quite successfully.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by montanabadger
Had a 17 grain Blue Dot 55 grain nosler load possibly destroy my 243 AI today. I weighed every load and seated each bullet right after powder was poured into the case. It's possible to get a double load in one, but I'm pretty positive I didn't. The shot was loud, I felt some particals hit my face, and the bolt is stuck so tight it can't be hammered open. Other than having to change my shorts I had no injuries.

Were you using a powder measure or dispenser?

Did you weigh each loaded round individually after loading?

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Originally Posted by Gibby
There you go, Trail Boss for lead only.

BS

Look at the load data on it. It's for jacketed bullet use. I've used it w/ jacketed bullets in a low-numbered Springfield quite successfully.

You looking at Hodgdons (IMR) data?

I see only lead. That is what it is designed for. Out of the box without data, possible with jacketed. But why do it. There are better powders for that.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Originally Posted by Sycamore

You do know why Trail Boss and SR-4579 were invented?.

P.S - glad you're okay. And I've played with Blue Dot to some degree, but luckily (I suppose) it never gave me any sort of accuracy.

I have read that SR4759 is discontinued

Sycamore

It has been, but there's still some in the supply pipeline. And who knows? They may bring it back like last time it was discontinued.

Hodgdon still lists 4759 among their lineup. Alliant doesn't show data for Blue Dot in the 41 Mag. (That really doesn't make sense since they show stuff on both sides, both in size and in pressures.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I fill all my cases and compare with a flashlight before I start seating bullets. That being said, I use rifle powder in my rifles, so a chance of a double charge isn't very realistic. You're not going to fit 80grs of 4350 into a 243 case...

IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Originally Posted by Sycamore

You do know why Trail Boss and SR-4579 were invented?.

P.S - glad you're okay. And I've played with Blue Dot to some degree, but luckily (I suppose) it never gave me any sort of accuracy.

I have read that SR4759 is discontinued

Sycamore

It has been, but there's still some in the supply pipeline. And who knows? They may bring it back like last time it was discontinued.

Hodgdon still lists 4759 among their lineup. Alliant doesn't show data for Blue Dot in the 41 Mag. (That really doesn't make sense since they show stuff on both sides, both in size and in pressures.)

Data for Blue Dot in the 41 is listed in many of the older manuals.

Then a recall of the data was done. The distributer issued a warning to not use Blue Dot in the 357 with light bullets (125 HP) or any bullet in the 41.

That warning did not scare me so badly that I pulled the 300 rounds of 41 already loaded with Blue Dot. But they are loaded to very light pressure/low velocity.

I have though, replaced Blue Dot in my powder storage cabinet with SR 4756 and HS-6.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by rost495
If everything anyone ever did was ONLY waht the label showed it worked for we'd still be shooting muskets..... and who printed the load data for muskets?

Would be kinda hard to READ THE LABEL with both eyes out and a hand OR TWO missing!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Would have never been able to shoot 90jlks as there was NO published data from Viht about them.... all I ever shot was Viht....

Ever read the owners manual on a rifle? Quite a few have suggested factory ammo only....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A few more things I have learned on the 'Fire...

A.Don't pour gasoline down a yellow jacket hole...

B. Don't put Blue dot in rifles...

C. Don't bring up shipping a Gun...

D. Don't discuss self-defense plans...

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Steelhead
When I want to sling 6mm bullets at slower speeds without using a bunch of power, I use my 6x45.

Pistol powder is best left to pistols.

I tend to agree. The closer we stick to original design parameters the easier life seems to be.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by montanabadger
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by rifle
I have to ask...why Blue Dot in a rifle cartridge?

I've been asking the same thing for 30+ years. crazy
. Do a search on this site, and you will find a whole bunch of info on the subject.

Doesn't mean you should try it. Blue Dot in a rifle cartridge is counter intuitive.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Why? Give reasons.

Is it only not listed for rifle roudns because it would work reduced, but can't make the speeds most folks want to see? Does it spike pressures at higher speeds?

I"m not saying I'm right and you are wrong, but so many say it can't be done because nothing is published...

Not sure how folks think loads and wildcats are worked up anyway...

Detonation is generally prevented by filler material and is never a negative in any case thats not approaching 100 percent density anyway. With even powders and loads that are published, IMHO.

FWIW I run pistol powder in my 300/221 also... have run quite a few blue dot loads too over the years since finding out about it.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rifle
A few more things I have learned on the 'Fire...

A.Don't pour gasoline down a yellow jacket hole...

WTF? Best way to get rid of the nasty little buggers, especially when a match is added soon afterward.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by rost495
Why? Give reasons.

Mostly subjective.
1) Blue Dot is a very low volume powder which lends itself easily to a double charge. When it comes to rifle loads I much prefer a high volume charge.
2) Its pressure spikes very quickly.

As you mentioned, filler will prevent detonation.

I just don't support the use of pistol powders in cartridges above the volume level of a 7 BR.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Those reasons make sense.

My point is typically if done correctly and safely, in most things you will be fine.

This would be one of those cases IMHO.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the past I've used blue dot a few times in the .223 and .308 for mild loads. I found the accuracy to be excellent and recoil was very mild.

Than a buddy let me shoot his 475 Linebaugh with some mid range loads worked up with blue dot. As I recall lit went something like this, bang, bang, Kapow!!!, bang, bang. I had to pound the high recoil round out of the cylinder. Needless to say I have no idea what happened with that round as I wasn't the one who loaded it, but my shooting buddy is both extremely experienced and careful. My thoughts are blue dot can for whatever reason cause unpredictable pressure spikes in some instances.

So from my limited experience I've discontinued the use of blue dot in rifle loads and am carefully using it up in handgun loads. There are two many fine predictable powders out there w/ no history of pressure spikes to mess with blue dot.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
For [bleep] sake. If I had a nickel for every gun I've had to hammer open I'd be a millionaire.

Reload and keep shooting.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, my action is toast, anyone need some Mex Mauser parts?

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used Blue Dot years ago for full-house .357 mag loads in a 4" barrel, where I wanted full speed without the heavier charges of 296 and similar. At least theoretically that should have been good in a short barrel. Not much later Alliant started warning not to use Blue Dot in the .357. I never had a problem with it. but others apparently did.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by deflave
For [bleep] sake. If I had a nickel for every gun I've had to hammer open I'd be a millionaire.

Reload and keep shooting.

Travis

I wouldn't be a millionaire, but I would have a dime, and still have eyes and fingers.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (06hunter59, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,592
Posts18,492,149
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.