Hop To
Page 16 of 23 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 22 23
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Shodd
Originally Posted by smokepole
We'll know soon enough if any Utah laws were broken.

Anyone care to wager on that? I'm talking about his shot selection, not the blaze orange or the issue of shooting over the road.

I'd wager that he will not be convicted of any offenses because he was stupid enough to take a 900-yard head shot.

Any takers?

As a parent if your child behaved as such do you feel it would warrant zero discipline?

Shod

None of my sons would take that shot. I've taught them better than that. None of them would take any shot and post it on youtube.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
We'll know soon enough if any Utah laws were broken.

Anyone care to wager on that? I'm talking about his shot selection, not the blaze orange or the issue of shooting over the road.

I'd wager that he will not be convicted of any offenses because he was stupid enough to take a 900-yard head shot.

Any takers?

Suckers bet. grin

No one with a brain would take it...or familiar with legal proceedings. Disposition could include any number of things short of a conviction. Continued without a finding,nolo contendere,among others, come to mind.

Rolling dice on predicting the outcome of any proceedings in a courtroom is for amateurs. The pro's don't do it.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

All I've ever said was, what he did, regardless of the ethical issues, should not be against the law

Your statement

So you feel that taking a head shot at 900 yds is wrong but on the other hand you feel it would not warrant being against the law? I'm a bit confused

Shod

Shod, I've explained this at least once, but I'll give it another shot. So to speak.

Two things: 1) It's un-enforceable; and 2) there's no way to develop a legal standard to cover shot selection that wouldn't outlaw ethical shots by people who have the ability to make them.

Here's another way to say it, which I've already asked but you didn't answer. As far as his shot selection, what did he do that you think should be illegal, and how would you write a law to make it illegal?

Was it the fact that he made a 900-yard shot? Many here would make that illegal; some here could make a 900-yard shot.

Was it the fact that it was a head shot? Many have made those.

Was it the combination of a 900 yard shot and a head shot? Now, I agree that a 900 yard head shot was a poor choice, I think we all do. Posting a wounding shot on youtube was even worse, but like someone said, there's no law against being a dickhead.

Anyway, I can't think of a way to write a legal standard that covers that without outlawing other shots by able shooters who can make them. That would be an unintended consequence that is worse (IMHO) than allowing idiots like this to take 900-yard head shots.

The whole issue is, where do you draw the line, why do you draw it there, and who gets to decide. Like Jordan said, we don't want the general public deciding these things; lots of stuff could be outlawed like running shots.

The distance at which a shot can be made varies with the shooter, the conditions, and the animals themselves. There are too many variables to pick a distance.

But the "why do you draw the line there" is the part that I struggle with. Some will say that shooting an animal at 600 yards is using technology for an unfair advantage. But in my opinion, the same can be said about a 200 yard shot. Are we going to outlaw those? I don't think so. The difference is, many hunters can make a 200 yard shot, so it's OK by them. Most can't make a 600 yard shot, so it's not OK by them. Personally, I'm not smart enough to draw that line.

One of the things I like about hunting is, you're out there on your own, and for some things like shot selection, you are the one who makes the choice. I'd like to keep it that way.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
OK Bob, then put your money where your mouth is.

Do you want to bet on whether they will charge him with any offenses that are strictly related to his poor shot selection?

That's tilting it wayyy in your favor since we all know that LE charges people with violations that they know won't stick all the time.

Let me know. I have $100 that says they won't.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 4ager

As a parent if your child behaved as such do you feel it would warrant zero discipline?

Shod

There's nowhere that smokepole said anything like that.

[/quote]

Did I say he said that? I was asking a question to try to better understand where he is coming from.

Shod

Last edited by Shodd; 02/27/15.

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Shod

Did I say he said that? I was asking a question to try to better understand where he is comming from.

Shod [/quote]

He's been quite plain in what he has been saying and why.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Shod

Did I say he said that? I was asking a question to try to better understand where he is comming from.

Shod

He's been quite plain in what he has been saying and why. [/quote]

My question was quite plain however you implyed that I said the man would not discipline his children when I in fact asked the man whether he would or not.

I was in fact very pleased with the answer smokepole gave and have respect for that.

Shod

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I implied nothing. I stated very plainly that smokepole had said nothing like what you questioned, and then said that he'd been very consistent in his positions and his statements. Those are facts, and without need of any implication nor with any made.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I implied nothing. I stated very plainly that smokepole had said nothing like what you questioned, and then said that he'd been very consistent in his positions and his statements. Those are facts, and without need of any implication nor with any made.

You implyed that I implyed that she said that he new somebody that implyed that you were making the implication that no implication was made. grin

Shod

Last edited by Shodd; 02/27/15.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

All I've ever said was, what he did, regardless of the ethical issues, should not be against the law

Your statement

So you feel that taking a head shot at 900 yds is wrong but on the other hand you feel it would not warrant being against the law? I'm a bit confused

Shod

Shod, I've explained this at least once, but I'll give it another shot. So to speak.

Two things: 1) It's un-enforceable; and 2) there's no way to develop a legal standard to cover shot selection that wouldn't outlaw ethical shots by people who have the ability to make them.

Here's another way to say it, which I've already asked but you didn't answer. As far as his shot selection, what did he do that you think should be illegal, and how would you write a law to make it illegal?

Was it the fact that he made a 900-yard shot? Many here would make that illegal; some here could make a 900-yard shot.

Was it the fact that it was a head shot? Most have made those.

Was it the combination of a 900 yard shot and a head shot? Now, I agree that a 900 yard head shot was a poor choice, I think we all do. Posting a wounding shot on youtube was even worse, but like someone said, there's no law against being a dickhead.

Anyway, I can't think of a way to write a legal standard that covers that without outlawing other shots by able shooters who can make them. That would be an unintended consequence that is worse (IMHO) than allowing idiots like this to take 900-yard head shots.

The whole issue is, where do you draw the line, why do you draw it there, and who gets to decide. Like Jordan said, we don't want the general public deciding these things; lots of stuff would be outlawed like running shots.

The distance at which a shot can be made varies with the shooter, the conditions, and the animals themselves. There are too many variables to pick a distance.

But the "why do you draw the line there" is the part that I struggle with. Some will say that shooting an animal at 600 yards is using technology for an unfair advantage. But in my opinion, the same can be said about a 200 yard shot. Are we going to outlaw those? I don't think so. The difference is, many hunters can make a 200 yard shot, so it's OK by them. Most can't make a 600 yard shot, so it's not OK by them. Personally, I'm not smart enough to draw that line.

One of the things I like about hunting is, you're out there on your own, and for some things like shot selection, you are the one who makes the choice. I'd like to keep it that way.

Thanks Smokepole, I better understand your position and you do make some very good points. smile

Shod

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Pathetic. You call yourself a sportsman? Please never do that again.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
An insecure male, for some reason they have to try stupid things to make themselves feel better about themselves. It is far better to actually stalk something and get as close as possible.

Gerry.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Fotis

I don't understand waiting all that time to draw a quality unit in Utah for a trophy animal,and then taking a head shot (first video). Is this some kind of a cult thing in Utah or something, or do these people just need lessons in anatomy and where to aim?

I doubt either of these guys hit where they were actually aiming.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
OK Bob, then put your money where your mouth is.

Do you want to bet on whether they will charge him with any offenses that are strictly related to his poor shot selection?

Let me know. I have $100 that says they won't.

I didn't think so.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by gerrygoat
It is far better to actually stalk something and get as close as possible.

I hope no one takes this as defending the OP, are you talking about this particular example, or LR hunting in general? If the latter, "far better" in what way?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P

Looks like the guy on the second vid took a Texas heartshot at a running bull that went high.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Would love to see OP along with a witness on a 900 yd range, steel targets, elk head size of course, 100 shots.

Anyone venture to guess his score out of 100 shots?

Money talks here..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The 900yd number is really irrelavent. This azzclown is a liar so what makes anyone think he'd be honest with the shot distance? If you're gonna lie about one thing what difference does it make if you lie about two, because after all, liars gonna lie.

CR

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pat85

Looks like the guy on the second vid took a Texas heartshot at a running bull that went high.

That is where the first shot landed for sure. In the elk's azz. No big game animal deserves that.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Page 16 of 23 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

699 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 69 invisible), 3,143 guests, and 1,346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,748
Posts18,476,161
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.