Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yes, i am. You are 100% correctamundo.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
The laws of nature seem cruel to humans. Liberals have a particularly hard time with them.

The laws of nature ARE cruel - and unforgiving.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One of those natural laws is straight out of the Bible:
2Th 3:10 For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

Unfortunately, the liberals have bypassed this very important rule of nature with disastrous results.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Eurasian colored doves are doing just great around here, all winter long. They've already started some courting/nesting behavior this spring, and we're still below zero nights right now.

We regularly get to 20 below for a few days here and there, and occasionally colder. So they seem to handle the cold weather just fine.

Birds obviously don't need open water to survive (pheasants for example). I always assumed they nibbled on snow, but I don't really know.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Why are your doves different than the ones here? They're not dying from the temps.

Last edited by tzone; 02/28/15.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't understand doves. At the first cool snap in the fall, they are gone from the Dalotas and Kansas, where I hunt them.
But I have 15-20 at my bird feeder in the Minneapols area every day all winter long. And we have seen a good bit of sub zero weather.

Having studied up considerable on birds over the years I believe COLD per se, does not usually kill birds, certainly not as temperate a species as mourning doves anyway. There are numerous incidents of summer birds even down to the size of hummingbirds surviving long into northern winters as far north as Alaska as long as they had a reliable supply of food.

Feathers are EXCELLENT insulation, I believe the incidence of ice forming overnight on the white-wing doves head being an illustration of that. Ice against the actual skin of the head would AFAIK quickly and fatally chill the bird, OTOH roosting birds are often covered with snow, so little heat escaping through the feathers that no snow melts to wet the bird.

Lack of FOOD however will kill most birds in a matter of just three or four days. Their metabolisms are cranked so high that they rarely freeze to death per se, what happens is they run out of the fuel in the form of body fat needed to fuel that high metabolism and body heat and burn out suddenly and quickly.

I suspect those dead doves are separated from their usual seed crop by ice and snow.

White-winged doves are a special case in that, being essentially a tropical species, their fleshy feet that enable them to climb somewhat like a parrot when feeding (I have never seen this) are especially vulnerable to freezing. If they lose too many toes they cannot walk or perch and so die of starvation. This I believe is the major factor at present limiting their spread northwards.

I have not heard the same thing about Asiatic Collared Doves.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Never mind. Birdie answered it.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The mourning doves in so. Idaho usually migrate out at the 1st hint of cold weather. we often have a cold spell right around Labor day so they disappear just as the season is getting going. On rare occasions, I've seen a couple at the bird feeder in mid winter but that's unusual. The collared doves, however, don't leave. Ever.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Doves have a very high mortality rate. Most of them only have a life span of about 18 to 24 months. Thats the reason they lay eggs and nest several times a year. They are also very poor nest builders.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by tzone
Why are your doves different than the ones here? They're not dying from the temps.

You have white wings. I think these were hit by a strange phenomenon. When driving home from coyote hunting yesterday at about 23 degrees, the air was almost like a misty fog. It looked like mist hitting my windshield, but it had to be very fine sleet at that temp. I think it wss fine enough to thaw when hitting the wsrmer doves roosting and then refroze in progressively thicker layers of ice overnight, if they were not adequately protected buy thick leaves on roost tree limbs, resulting in some being unable to fly normally today.

We normally have lots of doves roost in the back yard live oaks which normally have tons of live leaf cover. A recent ice storm broke many limbs and trimming the hanging limbs has left a lot of open sky with less leaf cover. Maybe some birds used to roisting in that tree all their life know of no other place to go and sat in places more exposed to the elements than usual.

White wings originally were from sreas in south Texas or farther south. They only started showing up here 20 years ago when we had global warming. smile

Last edited by eyeball; 02/28/15.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I see a lot more White Wings here in town than I do at the Ranch, 60 miles north of here. We kill usually half Whitewings & half morning doves ate the Ranch, though.
And hunting at my buddies Ranch in Coleman, which is 60 miles south of here,we hardly ever shoot a Whitewing.
We also go on a yearly dove hunt on opening day in San Angelo, and it's all Whitewings.

Also, I've seen a couple of coveys of Blue Quail at the Ranch in the last three years. And we haven't seen them before since the late 1970's. I have not hunted them, but I'm hoping by protecting the Covey's I have seen, that we will have a hunt-able population in a season or two.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For a few years, we had a January dove season. I haven't looked at the booklet to see if we still do, or not.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We have a late Dove season here that starts on Christmas Day and lasts for 2 weeks! It's usually pretty good.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I see a lot more White Wings here in town than I do at the Ranch, 60 miles north of here. We kill usually half Whitewings & half morning doves ate the Ranch, though.
And hunting at my buddies Ranch in Coleman, which is 60 miles south of here,we hardly ever shoot a Whitewing.
We also go on a yearly dove hunt on opening day in San Angelo, and it's all Whitewings.

Also, I've seen a couple of coveys of Blue Quail at the Ranch in the last three years. And we haven't seen them before since the late 1970's. I have not hunted them, but I'm hoping by protecting the Covey's I have seen, that we will have a hunt-able population in a season or two.

Well, i wouldnt know about that since i suppose those hunts are reserved for your VIP friends. wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hopefully we can get together on that next season, Doc.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Oh i am so happy i suckered you into that trap. wink grin

Im hoping too that you can get out here some time with Doc R and me on a hunt.

Oh but the agony of having our cup running over.

Last edited by eyeball; 02/28/15.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds good to me!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
White wings originally were from areas in south Texas or farther south. They only started showing up here 20 years ago when we had global warming. smile

Ya I'm recalling "Outdoor Life" from the seventies, where to a teenager in New York stories of shooting white-wings on the Border were as alien as if it took place on the moon.

On a different species... Coopers Hawks are the original "chicken hawk", a species intensively persecuted to the extent it became "a rare forest hawk" over most of the Lower 48.

Pretty much every tree in San Antonio has white-wings nesting in it now, the population in the city alone estimated at more than two million. Since I've been in Texas, Coopers Hawks have always been present in the Hill Country just north and west of town, they even nest in the wild setting of Camp Bullis, technically within the city limits.

Never did make the leap to nest in the city though, despite the enormous prey base in the form of white-wings now available.

Starting about ten years ago, Coopers were noted as nesting in several Florida cities, as noted ruefully by those who keep colonies of purple martins. Several martin colonies have been wiped out entirely by these hawks.

These urban Coopers have been spreading east, first across Louisiana, and a few years back in the Houston area. Ain't reached San Antonio yet, but when they do they should prosper.

The point being that the Western Coopers in the Hill Country, tho' outwardly identical, obviously differ in behavior from these new urban ones, most likely due to genetics.

Same thing appears to be true of White-wings, it likely weren't climate that kept 'em out, more'n likely the birds themselves. Nowadays they have gone urban, big time, flying considerable distances out of these centers to surrounding rural areas to feed.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Having studied up considerable on birds over the years I believe COLD per se, does not usually kill birds, certainly not as temperate a species as mourning doves anyway. There are numerous incidents of summer birds even down to the size of hummingbirds surviving long into northern winters as far north as Alaska as long as they had a reliable supply of food.

Feathers are EXCELLENT insulation, I believe the incidence of ice forming overnight on the white-wing doves head being an illustration of that. Ice against the actual skin of the head would AFAIK quickly and fatally chill the bird, OTOH roosting birds are often covered with snow, so little heat escaping through the feathers that no snow melts to wet the bird.

Perhaps you can tell me what killed the dove in what I described earlier, with many, many dove being lethargic, then dead in a 12 hour period where there was a temperature change from the 60's to minus 15?

It happened relatively fast. At dusk all the dove were lethargic and you could walk right up to them, and in the morning they littered the ground. Killed all of them. No exceptions. Dead dove were everywhere in any direction for at least 75-100 miles.

That storm killed lots more than dove too. It killed cattle, and various other livestock and wildlife. A guy took a picture of a fox that was frozen dead, and it was curled up, looked like it was sleeping.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Some call it "nature".

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 15 invisible), 1,954 guests, and 991 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,707
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.