Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Bought a Super 91 .504 a few years ago and finally getting around to doing some work on it and trying to get it to shoot. Bought it with quite a bit of external rust and a fairly banged up stock, but a good bore. It came with a (broken) Nikon 4x scope in unknown rings on two piece bases, an intact front ramp site with gold bead, but no rear open site. I would like to replace the missing rear site, but cannot find what site White originally put on these muzzleloaders, or what other options would fit this gun. The White's website doesn't seem to exist anymore. Anyone have any insight as to what rear would fit this gun?

Brandon Gleason
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
With a gold bead front it would most likely be a Williams like the picture below. Steven Brown (whiteriflesgmail.com) still had an inventory of White parts the last time I contacted him in 2013. He listed complete fiber optic sight sets for $40.

[Linked Image]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
PM me your e-mail address and I'll forward you the PDF parts list he sent me.

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Much appreciated! PM inbound...

Brandon Gleason
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Also, just check the Williams Gunsight site. They may have what you want and possibly a receiver sight as well.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Williams will set you up with a rear sight. You'll have to call them to give them screw spacing and blade height.

http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/gunsightsdefault.htm

Charter Member

szihn

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thank you, guys. I've emailed the address tmitch provided me. If that does not help, I will call williams with measurements. I'm now trying to decide if I might actually prefer a peep on the receiver over an open site on the barrel.....

Brandon Gleason
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
It's a matter of personal preference, but given the choice I would pick the peep over the barrel sight if you're not going to scope it.

Charter Member

szihn

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by tmitch
It's a matter of personal preference, but given the choice I would pick the peep over the barrel sight if you're not going to scope it.

Becoming an older shooter, this is where my sight set-ups are heading. The peep and visible front sight work better for my limits.

TM - sending a PM for the parts list as well.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by FFemtRN5287
Thank you, guys. I've emailed the address tmitch provided me. If that does not help, I will call williams with measurements. I'm now trying to decide if I might actually prefer a peep on the receiver over an open site on the barrel.....

This is the way to go. IMO no comparison. Nice gun, by the way. Mine is pretty much all i use for hunting now.

Good on ya for givin in some care and getting it back up and running.

Last edited by Crockettnj; 03/06/15.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks, Crockett. Currently rehabbing the stock a bit. The original (I'm assuming) fiberglass thumbhole stock has seen better days. A bit of bondo to full a few chips, and now has a base coat of green krylon drying on it before I hit it with some black webbing and a few coats of clear.

Still no email back from the aforementioned white's website. Either way, going to call Williams' on monday and order a rear peep. Then maybe finally shoot it?!?!

Brandon Gleason
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I've never seen a thumbhole version, not that they didn't exist. Doc made a few semi custom models and I believe the rifles his team used in matches were thumbholes. Is there a GW stamped on the action? Doc would stamp his initials on guns he personally worked on.

Charter Member

szihn

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
No GW that I can see on the action. There is "BB" etched (looks as if by hand) on the underside of the action, just in front of the trigger group.

I'll put up a photo of the stock once the clear dries that I just applied.

Brandon Gleason
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Finally got her all put together today. Photos below of the thumbhole stock I acquired her with. After shouldering, I'm thinking the stock is not going to work well at all with a peep sight (or any open sight in general!). Might be back to looking at Leupold's muzzleloader offerings.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Brandon Gleason
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Nice job! Yeah I can see how irons are going to be hard to get into.

Charter Member

szihn

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 46 invisible), 2,247 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,097
Posts18,502,051
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.