Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Gents,

I know this is a "hunting" forum, but yall are my best source of CA intel. I have a fishing question. smile

My family will be on Vancouver Island in July.

I'd very much like to do some salmon and/or halibut fishing either in Campbell River or Ucluelet. We're camping at both locations for about 3 days each.

There are TONS of fishing charter boats there. If you can offer up wisdom on who you recommend (or moreover who you wouldnt), I'd much appreciate it.

I'm looking to do an ~8 hr trip or two for me and my 10 year old (a very, very avid fisherman). Not looking to break the bank, but really do want to have a successful trip.

Thanks in advance,

Shane

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I think that if you want to include halibut you are much better off on the west coast (i.e. Ucluelet). No idea on who is good, but if you post a question on http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/forum.php
you will get some answers to your question(s).

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Check the BC regs on bottom fishing on the east side of the island vs the west. They had put some restrictions on Rock and Ling a few yrs back, on the east side. As far as which side is better, that is a bit up for grabs. Ucluelet is quieter, Tofino is 1/2hr drive north and is has more of the charters, Long Beach is between them.
Oak Bay Marina has 4 hr jigging trips with 20 or so on board of 50ft'rs out of Ucluelet, also have 19ft'rs for charter out of Campbell River.
Tofino has all kinds of small charters, some of them run out of Ucluelet into Barkley sound, some run north. The area is very heavy with tourists in Jul/Aug, book accomodations ahead.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Morning Billy Goat,

FME the fishing is a lot better off the west coast. Ucluelet has a number of people running day trips, Oak Bay for one. I've done those a few times in the past, we usually caught fish.

If you really wanted to knock it out of the park Winter Harbour due west of Port Hardy is a great place to fish for Salmon, Halibut, Lings and cod.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Billy Goat,

I took my family to Campbell River for the first time last August and we fished for Coho and Sockeye with Gary at Coastal Island Fishing Adventures. The boat was good and he seemed to have a reputation for always getting fish. I went with my family of 5 and we all caught fish (pictures of the trip in the thread here: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...9169024/Family_fishing_trip.#Post9169024) Only comment with Gary was that he was hesitant to move somewhere else when the fishing was slow, even though his partner was doing well not far away. I eventually told him that I wanted to move, we did, and we started catching more. Saw some orcas, seals, and family had fun. He does do halibut, crab, and prawns as well, but it is in a different direction apparently. Ucluelet would likely be better for halibut.

PM me if you have any specific questions. We are heading back to the Island this July as well.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

306 members (16penny, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 40 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,035
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.