Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
S99VG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I broke down and, after 20-years of drooling, bought myself a 1920-26 Savage with a Lyman 54. I don't have possession yet because we have a 10-day waiting period in CA. But, I do have the bolt and sight. In looking over the net, I have saw three, maybe four different versions of this sight. Mine has the elevation knob on the left and an adjusting screw for the windage. I have come across several pictures of identical 54s as well as 54s that are basically reversed in construction with some having windage adjustment knobs. I have also saw pictures of some that have adjustment systems that look much like Lyman 40s. Are there more configurations of this sight? Also, I have read that these rifles have mushy trigger pulls. Are they really mushy or is it a military two stage pull, which I have no problem with. Many thanks for any comments.

Last edited by S99VG; 02/22/15.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Two stage trigger pull

I could never get used to it.

Just me

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
They remind me of shooting a miniature 1903 Springfield. The trigger feels like a standard two stage military trigger.
[Linked Image]
Mine is the earlier 1920 without an aperture sight.

S
S99VG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Since I'm also a sucker for 1903 Springfields I have no issues with the two-stage pull. Thanks for your input.

Last edited by S99VG; 02/22/15.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
[Linked Image]
Me too.

IC B2

S
S99VG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Speaking of 54s, in this case early Winchester 54s, I think the 1920 and 1920-26 are much better proportioned rifles.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Me three.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A Lyman 54 I built out of a bare base a couple years ago. (It looks a little different now- elevation clamp screw replaced with a knurled knob.)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by gnoahhh; 02/22/15.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
I built two for a couple of my rifles. I have seen them like what I built and have seen them 180 opposite.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

S
S99VG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Wow, you guys built 54s. I am God smacked in awe of that! My 54 is identical to Longbeardkings, except my windage adjustment is nothing more than a tiny screw head at the end of the windage shaft. It looks factory to me. Could it be something did to streamline the site for the hunting market, you know like what Redfield did with their Hunter knobs.

Last edited by S99VG; 02/23/15.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Very nice, Steve. I eschewed the screw adjustable windage because I just didn't see myself needing to make adjustments once it was sighted in on a rifle that gets fired maybe once a year. My hat is off to you for executing that feature!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Yours is the way they should be. There's no need for constant micro-adjustment. Luckily I have a boss that is more than willing to let me play once in awhile.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

S
S99VG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
So here's a stupid question. The elevation lock knob on my sight is very tight. Are they meant to lock down by finger pressure or is there something else that does it? I ask because it appears to be a three piece asembly with one of the pieces having two drilled holes, looking like it may take a special screw driver head.

Last edited by S99VG; 02/23/15.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
If I'm understanding you correctly. The knurled knob is threaded onto the "T" nut that is locked into the sight base. The center of the knurled knob has a disc that is ALSO threaded onto the same shaft. There are two small holes holes about .030" in diameter, 1/4" apart. That is a lock nut. To loosen it you need a spanner wrench. OR if your careful a small set of snap ring pliers with inserts small enough to fit into the two holes.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
And yes, by my experience, those buggers must be torqued down tight to prevent slippage under fire. It seems that for some reason these Lyman 54s on 1920s are more prone to that for some reason. (Perhaps because the tail block isn't as solid a platform for a receiver sight as a non-moving installation would be, and as such suffers from vibratory influences?)

S
S99VG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I suspect those of you in the know have seen this, but the auction site that sounds much like "stockbroker" has an Savage "Experimental" rifle that can be found with the following search:

Savage Experimental Rifle (British SMLE style)

I have absolutely nothing to do with this auction nor the capitol to do anything about it. I just find it an interesting artifact in the lineage of the 1920.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Whoa, those are a new one on me.

S
S99VG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I had looked at it before, but never made the connection. The similarities seem to be undeniable. But like I said, it will be a hot day on the dark side of the moon before I could pony up the greenbacks for that one.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by S99VG
I broke down and, after 20-years of drooling, bought myself a 1920-26 Savage with a Lyman 54. I don't have possession yet because we have a 10-day waiting period in CA. But, I do have the bolt and sight. In looking over the net, I have saw three, maybe four different versions of this sight. Mine has the elevation knob on the left and an adjusting screw for the windage. I have come across several pictures of identical 54s as well as 54s that are basically reversed in construction with some having windage adjustment knobs. I have also saw pictures of some that have adjustment systems that look much like Lyman 40s. Are there more configurations of this sight? Also, I have read that these rifles have mushy trigger pulls. Are they really mushy or is it a military two stage pull, which I have no problem with. Many thanks for any comments.

A TEN DAY waiting period! For a BOLT ACTION RIFLE!

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
S
S99VG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Yep, 10 days for everything; handguns, rifles and shotguns. We are used to it here as at it was worse back in the 90's when it was 20 days. In spite of that, and being an advocate of the shooting sports, I will not condemn my home state on account bad politics. I have lived and worked elsewhere and still find the range of regional geography an amazing thing. Oceans, deserts, high mountains and spectacular valleys. Sorry, just a personal soapbox.

Last edited by S99VG; 03/03/15.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

S
S99VG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
By the way, I pick up the 1920 today.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 53 invisible), 2,556 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,475
Posts18,471,521
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.