Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Link on weapons range and power:

http://defensetech.org/2010/03/01/taking-back-the-infantry-half-kilometer/

This deals with 5.56 in the sandbox, but makes me appreciate my 308 AR Carbine all the more.

BMT

Last edited by BMT; 03/02/15.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
This deals with 5.56 in the sandbox, but makes me appreciate my 308 AR Carbine all the more

What I seem to be seeing as much as anything, is we need to tell the rest of the world to piss off and start loading projectiles that do damage. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by milespatton
This deals with 5.56 in the sandbox, but makes me appreciate my 308 AR Carbine all the more

What I seem to be seeing as much as anything, is we need to tell the rest of the world to piss off and start loading projectiles that do damage. miles

AMEN!

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager

AMEN!

l
+1 from here. Who cares about NATO or what everyone else is running? We do 99% of the heavy lifting in every war zone, anyways!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

AMEN!
+2
This notion of a touchy-feely war where no one gets hurt is the height of stupidity. Load up TSX's in 5.56 and get busy.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GunGeek

AMEN!
+2
This notion of a touchy-feely war where no one gets hurt is the height of stupidity. Load up TSX's in 5.56 and get busy.

If f'kin' only.

Tip them bastids with a polymer of pig blood/fat, and we are freakin' THERE.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My father fought the Pusan perimeter in August of 1950, and at that time, he was issued an M2 Carbine. Per dad, the automatic feature and the 30 rd clip was worthless. That said, it killed the Koreans pretty well. per him, they were on one side of a river, the NK's on the other. Dad was in combat for about a week including the defense of one major push across that river and again, it never failed him, if on semi auto and about 15 rnds in the mag.

as an aside, the full auto feature WAS handy to celebrate new years on Jan 1 of 1951, per him.

Dad as been gone 15 years now, and man do I miss him

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

The main thing I take away from these Carbines in Korea threads is, they work fine in the summer.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
More I think about Kevins position I can see it. More firepower. and i'm convinced from what I've seen with the 223 on game, especially on pigs, that with good bullets, I've shot a bunch of stuff with 75 bthp match rounds since I have thousands of them around.... that a good bullet and 223 will allow me more ammo, to put more on target faster, and I'm not overly worried about shooting things out to 300-400 yards with 223.... its worked fine on deer and pigs out to that distance and further.

So I can see it. BUT having shot things with ball 30 carbine it just has not been impressive at all.

Iam's post is the first report almost first hand basically that said the carbine was worthy in that particular situation. And it makes it worth the consideration I suppose.

There are plenty of naysayers on the 223.... every force I've talked with, and granted I'm generally not talking to run of the mill folks, talking to ones running the 77 bthp loads in the M16 versions have to the last one said it works great and they need nothing larger unless SDM is the call.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I've only ever had one patient shot with a .30-06 M2 Ball round. It was a woman who used a Garand to kill herself in her bathroom. The bullet traveled through her and was found sideways on the second layer of sheet rock in the wall. I walked around to where the bathroom was on the other side and found the tip of the base of the bullet just starting to poke through the off side. So it went through one body, and not quite through 2 layers of sheet rock.

i do know of a guy that loaded one round of m2ball in a springfield went into the bathroom, put the barrel in his mouth and pulled the trigger. It did work. Also put a hole clear through the roof, among other things.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 03/03/15.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
I see some chatter here, basically correct i think, about the 110grain ball round not being as effective as a 150grain round from a garand at further distances.
Let me think. What does a m16 fire and how much energy does IT have at 500meters?
And the reason I still like a m1A given i hopefully will never see invading hordes of north koreans in phx. Well, from the south it might be a different species.

Out of an M16A2?

M855 ball, 3100 fps at the muzzle gives 1322 ft.lbs. at the muzzle with 27 pound-feet of momentum and a TKO of 6. At 500, it drops to 1706 fps, 400 ft.lbs., 15 pound-feet, and a TKO of 3. Good thing it tumbles and separates, huh?

and that's kind of my point probably inperfectly expressed. The carbine was never meant to be a distance weapon. But yet we field a rifle and bullet that was designed for gophers.
In my own limited experience there are heavier better designed bullets that for sure work better, but that isn't what is issued so much to the main line troops. And 855 doesn't always tumble and separate per se, particularly at distance as velocity drops.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I found this interesting:

The Mk 262 is a match quality round manufactured by Black Hills Ammunition made originally for the Special Purpose Rifle (SPR). It uses a 77-grain (5.0 g) Sierra MatchKing bullet that is more effective at longer ranges than the standard issue M855 round.

In 1999, SOCOM requested Black Hills Ammunition to develop ammunition for the Mk 12 SPR that SOCOM was designing. For the rifle to be accurate out to 600 yards, Black Hills "militarized" a cartridge that used the Sierra 77 grain OTM (Open Tip Match) projectile; it switched from a .223 Remington to 5.56 mm case, increased pressure loading, crimped and sealed the primer, and added a flash retardant to the powder. The Mk 262 Mod 0 was adopted in 2002. Issues came up in development including reliability problems in different temperatures and when the weapon got dirty, and cycling issues in cold weather due to the slightly shorter barrel of the SPR compared to the full-length M16A2 barrel. The problems were addressed with a slower burning powder with a different pressure for use in the barrel, creating the Mk 262 Mod 1 in 2003. During the product improvement stage, the new propellant was found to be more sensitive to heat in weapon chambers during rapid firings, resulting in increased pressures and failure to extract. This was addressed with another powder blend with higher heat tolerance and improved brass. Also during the stage, Black Hills wanted the bullet to be given a cannelure, which had been previously rejected for fear it would affect accuracy. It was eventually added for effective crimping to ensure that the projectile would not move back into the case and cause a malfunction during auto-load feeding. Although the temperature sensitive powder and new bullet changed specifications, the designation remained as the Mod 1.[95]

According to US DoD sources, the Mk 262 round is capable of making kills at 700 meters. Ballistics tests found that the round caused "consistent initial yaw in soft tissue" between 3-4 in at ranges from 15 feet to 300 meters. Apparently it is superior to the standard M855 round when fired from an M4 or M16 rifle, increasing accuracy from 3-5 minute of angle to 2 minute of angle. It evidently possesses superior stopping power, and can allow for engagements to be extended to up to 700 meters when fired from an 18 inch barrel. It appears that this round can drastically improve the performance of any AR-15 platform weapon chambered to .223/5.56 mm. Superior accuracy, wounding capacity, stopping power and range power has made this the preferred round of many Special Forces operators, and highly desirable as a replacement for the older, Belgian-designed 5.56×45mm SS109/M855 NATO round. In one engagement, a two-man special forces team reported 75 kills with 77 rounds.[96][97] The Mk 262 has a higher ballistic coefficient than the M855 of (G7) 0.181, meaning it loses less velocity at long-range.[85]

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Anybody that has ever skinned a coyote knows why so many cartridges "suck."

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I found this interesting:

The Mk 262 is a match quality round manufactured by Black Hills Ammunition made originally for the Special Purpose Rifle (SPR). It uses a 77-grain (5.0 g) Sierra MatchKing bullet that is more effective at longer ranges than the standard issue M855 round.

In 1999, SOCOM requested Black Hills Ammunition to develop ammunition for the Mk 12 SPR that SOCOM was designing. For the rifle to be accurate out to 600 yards, Black Hills "militarized" a cartridge that used the Sierra 77 grain OTM (Open Tip Match) projectile; it switched from a .223 Remington to 5.56 mm case, increased pressure loading, crimped and sealed the primer, and added a flash retardant to the powder. The Mk 262 Mod 0 was adopted in 2002. Issues came up in development including reliability problems in different temperatures and when the weapon got dirty, and cycling issues in cold weather due to the slightly shorter barrel of the SPR compared to the full-length M16A2 barrel. The problems were addressed with a slower burning powder with a different pressure for use in the barrel, creating the Mk 262 Mod 1 in 2003. During the product improvement stage, the new propellant was found to be more sensitive to heat in weapon chambers during rapid firings, resulting in increased pressures and failure to extract. This was addressed with another powder blend with higher heat tolerance and improved brass. Also during the stage, Black Hills wanted the bullet to be given a cannelure, which had been previously rejected for fear it would affect accuracy. It was eventually added for effective crimping to ensure that the projectile would not move back into the case and cause a malfunction during auto-load feeding. Although the temperature sensitive powder and new bullet changed specifications, the designation remained as the Mod 1.[95]

According to US DoD sources, the Mk 262 round is capable of making kills at 700 meters. Ballistics tests found that the round caused "consistent initial yaw in soft tissue" between 3-4 in at ranges from 15 feet to 300 meters. Apparently it is superior to the standard M855 round when fired from an M4 or M16 rifle, increasing accuracy from 3-5 minute of angle to 2 minute of angle. It evidently possesses superior stopping power, and can allow for engagements to be extended to up to 700 meters when fired from an 18 inch barrel. It appears that this round can drastically improve the performance of any AR-15 platform weapon chambered to .223/5.56 mm. Superior accuracy, wounding capacity, stopping power and range power has made this the preferred round of many Special Forces operators, and highly desirable as a replacement for the older, Belgian-designed 5.56×45mm SS109/M855 NATO round. In one engagement, a two-man special forces team reported 75 kills with 77 rounds.[96][97] The Mk 262 has a higher ballistic coefficient than the M855 of (G7) 0.181, meaning it loses less velocity at long-range.[85]

Once the 77 was out, it changed the AR game totally for troops IMHO. Likely we may have had to go to 6.8 if it were not for finally getting HUA and using the right bullet. A shame its not standard issue IMHO.

Though personally a 55-62 tsx type would be even a better choice.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

Hang 'me on a fencepost

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Travis
It's not the cartridge, it's the shooter. Using the wrong tool for the job, or not hitting the right spot. But a lot of guys blame the tool, not the user.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I see some chatter here, basically correct i think, about the 110grain ball round not being as effective as a 150grain round from a garand at further distances.
Let me think. What does a m16 fire and how much energy does IT have at 500meters?
And the reason I still like a m1A given i hopefully will never see invading hordes of north koreans in phx. Well, from the south it might be a different species.

Out of an M16A2?

M855 ball, 3100 fps at the muzzle gives 1322 ft.lbs. at the muzzle with 27 pound-feet of momentum and a TKO of 6. At 500, it drops to 1706 fps, 400 ft.lbs., 15 pound-feet, and a TKO of 3. Good thing it tumbles and separates, huh?

But it doesn't tend to tumble and break up at distances over 250 yards, just makes a .22 caliber hole.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by night_owl
Besides lower velocity and energy, carbine ball doesn't yaw and produce wounds by the same mechanism as a spitzer projectile.
No it does not. Inside of 250 yards, the 5.56 is far more effective. When a 5.56 gets beyond 250 yards it loses the yaw effect and it drills .22 caliber holes, so the .30 carbine can actually produce a larger wound.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Travis
It's not the cartridge, it's the shooter. Using the wrong tool for the job, or not hitting the right spot. But a lot of guys blame the tool, not the user.

Thanks Kevin.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i do know of a guy that loaded one round of m2ball in a springfield went into the bathroom, put the barrel in his mouth and pulled the trigger. It did work. Also put a hole clear through the roof, among other things.
Yeah I've responded to that call a couple of times. Everything from the lower jaw line is gone. But that's from the muzzle blast, not the bullet.

The woman I was speaking of put the muzzle in her chest.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

404 members (1badf350, 160user, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 2500HD, 1lesfox, 34 invisible), 2,020 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,089
Posts18,501,851
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.