Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Are you happy with the paint job? If so, its a non issue to anyone else...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Happy? kind of, proud no. I finished it off w/ some krylon textured outdoor furniture point which took off the gloss and greatly improved the grip so it was a success.

Some of the paint jobs I have seen on here are truly works of art. Mine not so much.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
pitchers, please.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If you needed it dulled to hide it from game, then if its dulled, its good to go.

for me, its HOW it works, not what it looks like.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I agree, form follows function.

Ready, no pictures, I am a luddite when it comes to these computer thingys. My last foray to photobucket produced nothing but anger and frustration.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BMT
Dibs on the SSA (If I may).

BMT

Sorry, too late!

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
...While I had the Dremel out I decided to see if I could further improve my AR triggers...
I'm now in the market for a new trigger...

Unless you are a qualified gunsmith, what made you think to do that?

Not a gunsmith but a trained machinist. Haven't earned my primary income as one in the last 30 years doing machine work but I did have a small manufacturing business that provided a nice supplement.

The S&W M&P-15 trigger was better than the one on my RRA LAR-15 trigger when comparing them as they came from the factory. Both sucked when compared to good triggers, though. I worked on them both 2-3 times, incrementally improving them. This last go-round was just a bit too far for the S&W due to the way the S&W trigger is cut on the rear, which allows more movement when in the 'Safe' position.

Over the years I've reworked most of my rifle triggers and some of my revolver triggers. All came out much better than they left the factory and until the problem with the S&W trigger, none were ruined.

Worst case, or maybe best depending on your point of view, I figured the fix for the S&W factory trigger was a $12 replacement part. (I actually ruined the hammer not the trigger, but it would probably still work in my RRA LAR-15.)

On the other hand, I figured if I screwed it up it would be a good excuse to buy a decent aftermarket trigger. A used Geissele SSA is on the way. Color me happy.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
PS he "ruined" a POS trigger anyway, not like there is any loss involved... LOL..

Correct.

Much scarier was reworking the trigger on my S&W Shield M&P .40S&W.
Youtube videos to the rescue, along with my Dremel, machinist's training and a pretty good mechanical aptitude. It went from long, a little heavy and clunky with some gritty spots to long (take-up) and much smoother and lighter. When dry firing now the front sight still dances a bit but far less than before.

Recently I've also worked the triggers on my two Ruger Hawkeye actions, an All-Weather .280 Rem and a .308 Scout. Both were relatively OK from the factory but much better now - smoother, lighter and less creep.

Sent my Ruger MKII in .223 Rem back to Ruger a while back, trying to get a factory fast-twist barrel on it. Ruger didn't have a suitable barrel but they did 'fix' the trigger which had previously received my attention, restoring it to factory specs. First thing I did when I got it back was restore it to my specs. Mucho bettero.

Best part is none of this or any of my other trigger work cost me a dime. I did pay a gunsmith to rework the off-the-12-pound-scale trigger on my Browning BDM back in 2000. The gunsmith did a good job on the trigger but bent one of the legs of the hammer spring to help reduce DA pull weight, making booms an iffy proposition. I called Browning and ordered a new spring, which I installed myself. That was the last time I paid a gunsmith to work on a trigger.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...Worst case, or maybe best depending on your point of view, I figured the fix for the S&W factory trigger was a $12 replacement part...

I respect your machine shop experience but not your reasoning. smile But worst case is someone dying because of a bubba'd trigger. Those parts should be destroyed.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pal
...Worst case, or maybe best depending on your point of view, I figured the fix for the S&W factory trigger was a $12 replacement part...

I respect your machine shop experience but not your reasoning. smile But worst case is someone dying because of a bubba'd trigger. Those parts should be destroyed.

In this case, no one is going to die because of a "bubba'd" trigger. The problem was immediately detected during functional tests following the work, with upper still removed. The trigger will be replaced long before anyone, including myself, loads live ammo and fires it.

The gunsmith that worked on my Browning BDM, however, gave it back to me in a condition that could easily have resulted in someone dying when, in time of great need, it failed to go 'boom'.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Wow. Pal. Have you ever heard of the only gun safety rule that ever needs to apply?

Its not only tinkered with parts that "fail".... keep that muzzle where it belongs, we'll all get along!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
rost495 -

With all due respect, you lost me on that one. Of course I know the rules and of course they can prevent unintentional deaths, "bubba'd" trigger or not.

Did you read my entire post? The trigger and hammer are being replaced (with a Geissele SSA). Once that happens the "bubba'd" part (hammer) will be hard pressed to cause a death.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
LOL, quick reply.. I was replying to Pal, hence the Pal. LOL.

His quips about danger and such... As long as you follow muzzle control the rest doesn't really matter in regards to safety. And we should all be cognizant of muzzle control.

FWIW if it makes you feel better, could not talk my buddy into spending money on a better trigger so took his out, cleaned it up a hair, threaded through the pistol grip, added a short set screw to take some creep out, bent the trigger spring legs and lubed surfaces... its lighter, creeps still too much for me. But its better.

Thats abotu all I can say... ugh...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
This thread can get as bad as the damn fire forming thread... folks that have NO clue how brass forms to chambers... screaming the end of hte world if you fire a 7 rem mag in a 7 wtby gun...

WTF, all my 257 wtby brass is stamped 7 Rem mag....

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
All my 6.5-06AI brass says .25-06. The fireform loads, if anything, are safer than my full-power AI loads.

Glad to know you were responding to pal. I was beginning to think I was getting slow between the ears. smile

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
i am slow between the ears..... as such one of these days you may get PM with machinist questions... now if you were only closer to thread all my muzzles... LOL

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Don't forget, we all have to learn what we can't do.

precision is group shooting, accuracy is hitting your intended target.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey, I'm one who tried the bobby pin in the wall socket. smile But I don't recommend it.

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pal
Hey, I'm one who tried the bobby pin in the wall socket. smile But I don't recommend it.

Wasn't a bobby pin but I recall being sent to my room for a nap, pulling a cord part way out of the socket and touching the prongs on the plug.

I think I was 4 at the time.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The incident left quite an impression for me to remember the doctor's visit and bandages nearly 70 years later! eek

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (1eyedmule, 44mc, 3333vl, 7887mm08, 308ld, 35, 11 invisible), 1,535 guests, and 889 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,772
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.