Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#9657585 03/04/15
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Birds of prey.

We have red-tailed hawks, and the odd bald eagles passing through.

Any of the raptors in your back yard?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB4

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Too many, by a bunch.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Red-tails, red shouldered, Cooper's, sharp-shinned, and kestrels for hawks. Screech and barred owls. An occasional osprey and bald eagle drifting through.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Red-tailed hawks, bald eagles and brown (golden) eagles.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
eagles are like crows here. They wait for you to run something over.

I like liberals-------------------------------------they make good bear bait! grin
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
all kinds
bald(lots and lots of these around) and golden eagles

fair number of prairie falcons and kestrels may have the occasional peregrine, gryfalcon(havent seen one bt a friend has) and merlins

northern harriers

as far as hawks: redtail, sharp-shined, broadwinged, coopers, northern goshawk, rough-legged, swainsons and ferruginius

osprey

as far as owls: burrowing, eastern screech, great horned, long eared, short eared, snowy(saw one a few weeks ago), northern saw whet, and northern hawk owl(another ive not seen but a friend has)

favorites i always like seeing are the harriers, kestrels, prairie falcons and burrowing owls

Last edited by rattler; 03/04/15.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman
Too many, by a bunch.

Oh? Why? Enlighten us.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Harriers hawks, bald eagles, golden eagles, osprey and great horn owls are the ones I see the most in Colorado (that I reconize). Do see a lot on fences, trees, light poles and the like, but no idea what they are. Sometimes see a swainson's hawk.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rattler, I forgot about the harriers. Damn, what a gorgeous, graceful bird. We have a few here, too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
Rattler, I forgot about the harriers. Damn, what a gorgeous, graceful bird. We have a few here, too.

yeah, really common here, they are usually cruising 20 foot above the ground across the wheat fields looking for mice.....

i should throw the loggerhead and northern shrikes up there, not true birds of prey but they sure give'er hell to act like one laugh

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
A while back, I saw a mounted osprey on the wall in NW Ontario.

When I asked about the legality of it, he said the ministry owed him one.

I was impressed with that bird.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
A while back, I saw a mounted osprey on the wall in NW Ontario.

When I asked about the legality of it, he said the ministry owed him one.

I was impressed with that bird.

spent more than a few days out on the lake with one fishing the same bay i was.......makes a slow fishing day entertaining and all the more frustrating that the damn hawk can catch a fish and i cant laugh

P
PVT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Too many, by a bunch.

I don't get it. Raptors are the finest flyers(after me). We have Red Tails and Red Shoulderd Hawks right now. Lots of Sparrow a Hawks and a few Coopers. Screech and Barn Owls. One Bald Eagle that I know of. We get a few Ospreys in the summer. Love em.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
We have lots here but I couldn't tell you what they are. I reaally like the snowy owls though, very cool looking bird. Saw a little tiny hawk come down and grab a robin out of mid air right outside the archery club a couple summers ago, which was pretty cool.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Power poles out in the (treeless)country sure haven't helped the grouse any.

Seagulls are the worst when they follow the swather around and pick off pheasant chicks. I think some guys carry a shotgun in the cab for that very reason.

We've got a few little super speedsters that will drive bomb the cows when they are lined out feeding. Zoom down, flush and pick off the occasional cowbird or starling.

I've tried getting a pic but they are way too fast.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PVT
Too many, by a bunch.

I don't get it. Raptors are the finest flyers(after me). We have Red Tails and Red Shoulderd Hawks right now. Lots of Sparrow a Hawks and a few Coopers. Screech and Barn Owls. One Bald Eagle that I know of. We get a few Ospreys in the summer. Love em.

i dont get it either, love watching them....main killer of game birds we have is cold wet springs killing chicks.....birds of prey are alot farther down the list....hell crows might be harder on the game birds than the birds of prey cause they will spend the time figuring out where the nests are to eat the eggs.....

in even my short life time ive watched an explosion of bird of prey numbers around here but havent seen them have much of an effect on game bird numbers in the same time....the spring weather seems to dictate the numbers FAR more than anything....

Last edited by rattler; 03/04/15.

P
PVT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by xxclaro
We have lots here but I couldn't tell you what they are. I reaally like the snowy owls though, very cool looking bird. Saw a little tiny hawk come down and grab a robin out of mid air right outside the archery club a couple summers ago, which was pretty cool.

I'll bet the tiny hawk was a Sparrowhawk. Very maneuverable. I saw one buzz a tree full of wrens one time, flushing them out of the tree. The hawk then did a 360 degree turn and grabbed one in flight. Incredible!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
forgot about the seagulls Sam but your right there aswell....they are pretty damn predatory aswell and thicker than birds of prey.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't forget about the damn feral cats that stupid people spay/neuter and then turn back out into neighborhoods and the outskirts of town.

P
PVT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Power poles out in the (treeless)country sure haven't helped the grouse any.

Seagulls are the worst when they follow the swather around and pick off pheasant chicks. I think some guys carry a shotgun in the cab for that very reason.

We've got a few little super speedsters that will drive bomb the cows when they are lined out feeding. Zoom down, flush and pick off the occasional cowbird or starling.

I've tried getting a pic but they are way too fast.

Falcons? I'd love to watch a falcon hunt.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (160user, 12344mag, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,702 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,984
Posts18,480,954
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.