E
Originally Posted by RevMike
Trout, redfish, or snook?
Redfish and Snook.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Quarter ribs hinder scope choices, objective size. Other than how they look, I don't know if I'd spend a bunch of money having one fitted. Just me.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now don't you think this would look better with a Rigby fore-end, barrel band swivel, wrap front sight, and quarter rib?

O [Linked Image]

Looks vs. utility.

The barrel band lets the rifle ride much lower over the shoulder with sling. OK is thick stuff. If one likes to wrap up in a sling for a long shot, not so good.

Banded front sight, the Champlin has one, looks good, may be tougher than a ramp sight, but doesn't offer that much for me. A properly mounted ramp is pretty stout. I've already given my opinion on the quarter rib.

All that stuff looks cool and safari, just may not be worth the cost for what it offers.

I like pretty guns, but utility is a big deal for me.

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Quarter ribs hinder scope choices, objective size. Other than how they look, I don't know if I'd spend a bunch of money having one fitted. Just me.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now don't you think this would look better with a Rigby fore-end, barrel band swivel, wrap front sight, and quarter rib?

O [Linked Image]

Looks vs. utility.

The barrel band lets the rifle ride much lower over the shoulder with sling. OK is thick stuff. If one likes to wrap up in a sling for a long shot, not so good.

Banded front sight, the Champlin has one, looks good, may be tougher than a ramp sight, but doesn't offer that much for me. A properly mounted ramp is pretty stout. I've already given my opinion on the quarter rib.

All that stuff looks cool and safari, just may not be worth the cost for what it offers.

DF
Yup DF.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
RevMike Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Looks vs. utility.

DF

Y'all are without question correct. The only thing I'd quibble with is the quarter-rib. On the Zastava, even with a 30mm tube, 40 mm objective, and Warne QD low rings, there's still plenty of room between the bell and barrel. Besides, if the rifle had a rib it would be wearing 20 or 24mm glass, 1-6x or so, illuminated. Plenty of room, just like your picture. Also, I think a fiber optic front sight (like the one in your picture) with one or two rear leaves would be helpful in poor light when trying to find a pig in myrtle and oak thickets. You're in Louisiana, right? I'm in Florida. The thickets around our marshes aren't terribly different.

As for the barrel band swivel, again, you're absolutely right. I've always shot using a hasty sling so the swivel stud on the stock just makes sense. But there's still a lot of wood on the front of that thing!

The economics are hard to justify, as well. This isn't a pre-64 action or Oberndorf Mauser. It's a $550 Serbian rifle. I guess I didn't forget everything that 27 years as a CPA taught me. whistle

I expect ultimately what I'll wind up doing is the same thing I generally do: just continue to carry that old Mauser into the woods and kill stuff, while waiting for the urge to pass...assuming y'all will stop posting pictures that make me covet my neighbor's rifles! So much for Lent.... blush

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Who would do something like that.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Dang it!! mad

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
What is wrong Rev.

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
You ain't playin' very nice. I'ma tell Ingwe if you don't quit!

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
HAH! Tell him what?

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
What is that?

IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Winchester M 70 Stainless Steel .375 H&H.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by elkhunternm; 03/05/15.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Ah. Nice.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Betcha it'll kill a Florida porker. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
No doubt!

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Betcha it'll kill a Florida porker. wink

Although what I'd do is load that .300 H&H down and have some fun with it.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Rev,please don't take this the wrong way,BUT,load down a .300 H&H! Keep this up I'm gonna tell Ingwe. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I have that same .375 H&H SS Classic. I cut mine to 21", added NECG irons and a 3-9x40 Conquest.

And, yep, it'll sure stick a porker... shocked

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My brother-in-law just bought an Aimpoint and shared one of the video downloads he received. It's over an hour of Franz Albrecht and his friends taking out European boar in Hungary, almost all at full speed. On this particular video they're shooting Sauer 202s. Holy cow, can that fellow work a bolt. I've seen a clip of him with the Merkel and he's even faster...which is incredible. There's something to be said about young eyes and reflexes.

And the piggies end up in a nice little pile!

Even more amazing when you realize they're doing it all offhand.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348
My brother-in-law just bought an Aimpoint and shared one of the video downloads he received. It's over an hour of Franz Albrecht and his friends taking out European boar in Hungary, almost all at full speed. On this particular video they're shooting Sauer 202s. Holy cow, can that fellow work a bolt. I've seen a clip of him with the Merkel and he's even faster...which is incredible. There's something to be said about young eyes and reflexes.

And the piggies end up in a nice little pile!

Even more amazing when you realize they're doing it all offhand.

The shooting is incredible, no doubt about it. I don't know if you've seen the clips of the indoor range where they shoot, but it is a live-fire range with a video of running boar. At the shot the video freezes for an instant and a red dot shows bullet impact. I wish I had one of those handy! I remember as a kid reading one of Jack O'Connor's books and he had an illustration of how to practice a running shot by having someone roll a tire with a target in the middle down a hill. The only problem in south Florida is that we don't have any hills. grin

One of my parishioners is from Germany and his mother frequently shoots driven game. And you're right: they pile them up at the end, have a little ceremony respecting the game, then off to the market they go. He said it's a pretty interesting experience.

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

474 members (21, 12344mag, 160user, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 39 invisible), 2,092 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,796
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.