Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Depending on whether I am hunting a rifle or shotgun only area I use a T/C pro hunter with a sporter weight 250/3000 or the 20 ga
pro hunter with 20 ga hand loaded Hornady 250gr SST bullets.

Doc

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
.308 Ruger American stainless carbine

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used everything from Semi-autos in 223 to Model 70s in 300WM. Revolvers from 357 to 500S&W. And everything in between. Use a 788 in 308 most when stand hunting with a rifle this past season.

Been thinking about a 500S&W barrel for my TC Encore lately...

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Try stuffing five slugs into an old Browning A5 silently some time.

Try unloading those 5 quietly as well. One guy I heard a story told on found a pretty easy albeit super noisy method. This was told for true by a couple of guys. TIFWIW. Seems getting down time came and the fellow in the tree didn't really want to eject the shells. Not even the one in the chamber. Shotgun didn't have a sling so he tied his pull rope in the trigger guard and somehow wrapped the long end around the barrel to keep the gun going down butt first. Only problem was somehow the barrel wrap came off, the shotgun pointed down, knot knocked the safety off and the old Browning ripped off 5 shots while bouncing up and down on the rope. Supposedly hunter learned from his error and the story tellers were cracking up about it.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
The sound of racking a auto in a tight woods situation makes my teeth hurt..Pappy348 John Prine fan me to

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have several shorter rifles for treestand hunting. They are my Howa .243 Youth, Ruger M77/44, Marlin Guide Gun, and a Winchester M94.

The Howa has a very thin 20" barrel and a 2-7X33 VX2, the 77/44 has a 1-4X20 VX2, the Guide gun is equipped with a FX-II 2.5X20 Ultralight, and the M94 has a Williams receiver sight.

I'll take one of those is I know I'll be up in a tree, but I'm not against carrying them around on the ground, either. Conversely, I have several rifles that are large, and I may climb with one of those. I may decide to change my hunting method, or conditions may make the choice for me.

The terrain I typically hunt means that shots are usually short-range and in somewhat thick vegetation, so the shorter rifles are generally easier to move about with.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I haven't really seen a poor rifle for tree stands,if the stand is decent.back in the seventies when I started a stand could consist of a 2x4 in the fork in a tree.now in the age of no permanent ones allowed,stands tend to be pretty decent to be in.
I prefer a bolt action,with a 2x7x32 compact scope,and carry Leopold 10x mini binos.
Last few years we have used fish house on wheels deer stands, and the same rifle works good there.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Well, the last shot I broke from a tree stand came out of a Remington 700 ADL. It is chambered for 6mm, and has a 22 inch tube.

I also shot a couple does from a stand last fall, and used a 45 caliber Knight Muzzleloader to close the deal on those two.

This fall, barring sickness or calamity, I'll likely sit in that stand with my little Ruger American Ranch, chambered for 300 Blackout.

I mounted a Leupold VXII 2-7x on it and it loves 125 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips.

I enjoy hunting with the 30 WCF, but for some reason I really enjoy prowling around on my hind legs when I hunt with that Marlin.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
TC Encore with a custom 20" .356/.358 Win, 7x57, or even 18" .357 max bbl;", is about as perfect as it gets for stand hunting in the thick, or to 250-300 yards, IMO. You can pick another poison, but the encore package is about as ideal as it gets, for tight places.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 03/07/15.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Right now my stevens 200 in 308 is one I like. Not so dear if it gets banged around a bit, plenty accurate and plenty of horsepower for any deer I might run across.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A little bolt action carbine in 7.62x39 works beautifully.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've never shot anything with the 7.62x39mm, but I have always thought that it had a great deal going for it as far as utility.

Now the 300 Blackout comes along, with performance that seems to be the fraternal twin of the Russian, and the benefit of stupid simple brass and a .308" bore diameter.

I really didn't get horned up about the cartridge until I saw it chambered for short, light bolt guns. Then I started thinking I had to have one.

I do not regret that purchase at all, and look forward to field testing it on game. Planning to run the 125 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip for now, but I really would like to make a run at a 150 grainer that would feed from the magazine and expand a little at the lower velocity of the Blackout.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by driftless
The sound of racking a auto in a tight woods situation makes my teeth hurt..Pappy348 John Prine fan me to

In the bad old '60s and '70s, the A5 was the hot setup in the southern Maryland woods. Slug barrels were rare, but most shot to the bead anyway.

Once, while sitting on the ground in very thick cover, I saw one of my buddies, another A5 guy, sneaking through the woods about 30 yards out. How he missed seeing me in all that orange I'll never know. Anyway, I slipped the bolt back quietly with the cutoff operated, and then released the cutoff. When that flack-whack rang out, he just about messed himself. As a Browning boy, he knew that sound and thought he was a dead man!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
I've never shot anything with the 7.62x39mm, but I have always thought that it had a great deal going for it as far as utility.

Now the 300 Blackout comes along, with performance that seems to be the fraternal twin of the Russian, and the benefit of stupid simple brass and a .308" bore diameter.

I really didn't get horned up about the cartridge until I saw it chambered for short, light bolt guns. Then I started thinking I had to have one.

I do not regret that purchase at all, and look forward to field testing it on game. Planning to run the 125 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip for now, but I really would like to make a run at a 150 grainer that would feed from the magazine and expand a little at the lower velocity of the Blackout.

I've killed 8 with it thus far, and none have gone more than 40 yards. 6 of them have been DRT. Fantastic little round.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Not trying to hijack the thread, but but what kind of ammunition (bullets) are you running in your rifle? If I remember correctly, you have one of the little CZ carbines?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Remington and Federal SPs shoot to the same POI. Both wreck deer.

Interarms mini-Mauser. The precursor to the CZ.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Well, glad to hear that. Will definitely be spending time with my 300 this fall. Tide Jr claimed pig hunting rights with that rifle earlier today. Looking forward to seeing how it works out on the little bacon precursors.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I use my Weatherby Stainless Carbine, 7mm-08, 20" barrel, McMillan Sako classic, Zeiss 2.5-10x42 Diavari Victory, this boar should not have interrupted my deer hunt:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The first one I pick up as I walk out the room headed to the field. WILL

DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF:......IT'S ALL SMALL STUFF!
D@MN; I miss my meds.
THE WINDS OF TYRANNY HAVE SHIFTED. BETTER TIMES AHEAD.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Ruger 77/44

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

695 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 68 invisible), 2,944 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,846
Posts18,478,321
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.