Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Hadn't seen this before, pretty interesting.

Randy Garrett posted on Marlin Owners forum the following message several years ago. I recently came across it and am wondering if this might be part of my problem with inconsistent accuracy with my Marlin 1895.

Garrett said this, "There is a subject I haven't seen addressed on the forum that is worthy of consideration. This subject may have already been dealt with by others, but if not it definitely deserves discussion. The issue is the relative frequency of underpowered hammer springs in Marlin lever-guns, and their effects on ammo performance.

I recently had a 1895SS turned into something special by Jim Brockman, and as he was finishing the project, he called to report that he just couldn't get the gun to shoot well at all. He was using my ammo exclusively. He reported erratic accuracy, with groups varying rather widely in their size. He even reported that one round didn't go off. At this point I knew that he had a rifle that had a weak hammer spring, and I suggested that he replace the spring and try again. He called the next day to report that after replacing the spring, and doing nothing else to the gun, he was able to shoot some of the best groups he had ever shot with the 45-70."

I have had 3 misfires/failure to fire since getting this gun (over about 600 rounds fired). I bought a reduced power Wolf Spring kit before coming across Garrett's post and had planned to install them in order to make it easier to work the lever and possibly reduce the trigger pull a bit but after reading his post I am thinking I should get a more powerful hammer spring instead. It does kind of surprise me that a weak spring could affect accuracy. It seems to me if the hammer hits hard enough to fire the cartridge what more do you need? Why would a weak spring impact accuracy so long as the cartridge fires? Just trying to learn. Thanks, Rufous

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You need to read everything I have said about hammer springs and primer impact.
Randy has the answer. Even all of my revolvers get an over power springs before shot.
I get nothing but flack over this with guys changing to lighter springs or backing out strain screws.
Refreshing to hear experts chime in after I get bashed over and over.
The junk of changing the primer is so much bull because even federal primers need impact. When is primer cup thickness going away?
Oh yes, a weak hammer fall will turn a gun into a shot gun. You are smart to listen. Just making a primer pop is just not enough. I learned in my IHMSA days when Rugers shot worse and worse. I bought springs by the dozen because they took a set. A spring change brought back accuracy but the Wolfe over power springs last longer.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (160user, 007FJ, 1minute, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,834 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,202
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.