B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
1951 std wt.....:

Picture was taken the first time I had it in my hands:
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Grandfather gave my Dad a 1957 FWT in .243 to deer hunt on the family place in San Saba TX. It still had the 10X Unertl Ultra-Varmint on that the previous owner, a judge in GA, had on it. He used it as his truck gun for crows. Apparently it went back to Winchester at some point. It was free-floated and glass bedded and there was a business card from the Winchester Custom shop under the forend for a little pressure point.

My Dad only used it once and determined he was much more a pheasant and quail hunter than a deer hunter.

When the USN had the wonderful insight to send me to Washington State my Dad gave it to me and I rescoped it with the a Leopold 2.5-8X33. I hunted with it many years in Washington and then on the other family place in Kentucky. Killed a lot of deer and groundhogs with it over the years. I have no idea how many rounds have been down that barrel but it still shot very well even though a 55 gr Sierra would just fall out of the case before it ever found the lands.

I gave it to Jake, my nephew, when he was 13 a couple years ago and he has killed his first 2 deer and a coyote with it so far.

[Linked Image]

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by handwerk
SNAP, great story, thats the stuff pre 64 M70's are made of......

Chapter 2.

It was the late 60s, I was 22 and all my friends were enrolling in the new college near my home, so, in a weak moment, I SOLD my beloved .338 back to the old dealer along with my Browning Safari LE .30-06, which had been my working L-O rifle.....what can I say, I was a kid......

I tried, over the next many years, to buy it from him again, but, no success and then, I moved to the BC coast to get married. I went home sometimes, but, lost touch with so many I had known as one does in life.

In autumn, 1987, my favourite aunt died and I drove the 450 miles to Nelson, BC, to then go to Trail, BC, to her funeral. I stopped at the sign for a small gunstore run by a guy I knew slightly and looked in the window, to see an old 70 on the rack.

It was almost closing time and I went in and asked to see this rifle; he said it was HIS and NOT for sale. I then noticed a closed guncase on the rack beside it and somehow, I just KNEW what was inside, when he said, proudly, Dewey, look at THIS one and pulled MY Alaskan from the case......

I went rigid with surprise and desire and then told him of my former ownership of this rifle and HOW I would LOVE to buy it back. He said that Al Biesen, from Spokane, some 170 miles south of Nelson, has heard of its presence here and offered him serious coin for it, but, he was not sure.

I said I would call once the funeral was over and I wss back in Vancouver and he told me that he would wait for my call. Christmas passed and I could NOT get this gun off my mind, so, called and offered him $1250.00 whereupon he insisted on $1400.00, at that time a high price for this model.

I worked a deal to pay in installments and sent him a large cheque, then, somehow, managed to talk my wife into paying the rest forthwith. Later that week, at 08:00 one grey and GREAT morning, the rifle arrived, 20 years to the day after I first bought it and at seven times the original price!

Big Tom Tom, named for my brother who had died of Diabetes in 1982 and for its thunderous report was HOME and has NEVER left my side again! I have many fine rifles, custom Dakotas worth several times the value of this old Alaskan, an original Oberndorf 9.3x62 from 1936 and so on and on and on.

But, there IS really ONE rifle in my elderly heart and not even a Weibe, Martini, Echols or Purdey could-would take its place...............

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SNAP
Originally Posted by handwerk
SNAP, great story, thats the stuff pre 64 M70's are made of......

Chapter 2.

It was the late 60s, I was 22 and all my friends were enrolling in the new college near my home, so, in a weak moment, I SOLD my beloved .338 back to the old dealer along with my Browning Safari LE .30-06, which had been my working L-O rifle.....what can I say, I was a kid......

I tried, over the next many years, to buy it from him again, but, no success and then, I moved to the BC coast to get married. I went home sometimes, but, lost touch with so many I had known as one does in life.

In autumn, 1987, my favourite aunt died and I drove the 450 miles to Nelson, BC, to then go to Trail, BC, to her funeral. I stopped at the sign for a small gunstore run by a guy I knew slightly and looked in the window, to see an old 70 on the rack.

It was almost closing time and I went in and asked to see this rifle; he said it was HIS and NOT for sale. I then noticed a closed guncase on the rack beside it and somehow, I just KNEW what was inside, when he said, proudly, Dewey, look at THIS one and pulled MY Alaskan from the case......

I went rigid with surprise and desire and then told him of my former ownership of this rifle and HOW I would LOVE to buy it back. He said that Al Biesen, from Spokane, some 170 miles south of Nelson, has heard of its presence here and offered him serious coin for it, but, he was not sure.

I said I would call once the funeral was over and I wss back in Vancouver and he told me that he would wait for my call. Christmas passed and I could NOT get this gun off my mind, so, called and offered him $1250.00 whereupon he insisted on $1400.00, at that time a high price for this model.

I worked a deal to pay in installments and sent him a large cheque, then, somehow, managed to talk my wife into paying the rest forthwith. Later that week, at 08:00 one grey and GREAT morning, the rifle arrived, 20 years to the day after I first bought it and at seven times the original price!

Big Tom Tom, named for my brother who had died of Diabetes in 1982 and for its thunderous report was HOME and has NEVER left my side again! I have many fine rifles, custom Dakotas worth several times the value of this old Alaskan, an original Oberndorf 9.3x62 from 1936 and so on and on and on.

But, there IS really ONE rifle in my elderly heart and not even a Weibe, Martini, Echols or Purdey could-would take its place...............

Awesome story Dewey!!!! Isn't it weird how you received the rifle 20 years to the day from the first time you bought it. Life is kind of strange that way. I had my 375 H&H put together on my dad's birthday. The rifle is a '56 and my dad was born in '56. I also just went back to a previous job I've been away from for exactly 3 years. I left on March 2 of 2012 and returned on March 2 of 2015 grin

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No interesting story here. Bought my first one in 08-09, an 30-06 fwt. Couple years later I bought another 06 fwt, with a reblued barrel and a refinished stock. Put it in a McMillan and planned to rebarrel to 25-06. Never did, I'm too lazy and like the 30 cal too much.

They are 2 of my 3 centerfires, and I've been quite happy with both.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
In about 1990 I was about 20 years old and was starting to get into fox and coyote hunting with a group of guys and I was using a variety of different guns from a Ruger #3 in 223 to a 80's Featherweight in 270. My dad surprised me with a P64 M70 Varmint rifle in 243 with a 6.5-20x Leupold on it and said that if I was going to fox hunt I had to have the right rifle for it! I lugged that tank of a gun many a miles through snow field (we hunted them by driving with both dogs and people and since I was one of the young ones I always was the driver). I still have the gun and it still shoots light bullets into tiny little holes. This was the gun that got me interested in M70s.

It didn't take me long to realize thought that while it was a super accurate and classy rifle there were much better options for a walking fox gun. I was the first of the crew to buy and use an AR15 which I found to be perfect. I no longer hunt with the crew but the guys who still do all gave up their heavy barrels for AR's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mine is a 1957 M70 Varmint model 243 that I ordered new in 1957 while working a summer job.

That barrel is SS, medium heavy and 26" long.

I used it for competitive target shooting at 200 yds and for chucks.

The barrel wore out however a friend had a new one in 220 Swift and it's on the rifle now and shoots as well as ever at varmints.

I paid about $140 for it.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Bought a standard grade 30-06 "shooter" for $500 when stationed in FT Bliss, TX in 1988. Shot one deer with it in PA and later sold it for $500 a couple of years later.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I bought my first M/70 in the mid 1970's while in gunsmithing school in Colorado, it was a prewar .30-06 which I restocked with a fabulous exhibition grade walnut blank purchased from Herters. Over the years between then and now I have owned many pre '64 M/70's. Currently I own two, a prewar standard grade .257 Roberts and a Super Grade '06 that I had rebored to a .35 Whelen. Will probably never sell either of those rifles, I have hunted whitetail with the Whelen and would like to take the Roberts deer hunting some day.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
About three years ago after spending a bit of time on this subforum I bought this 1948 .257 Roberts in a fit of irrational behavior:

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313
About three years ago after spending a bit of time on this subforum I bought this 1948 .257 Roberts in a fit of irrational behavior:

Dear God, Thank you for blessing us rifle loonies with irrational behavior. laugh

G
GSPfan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I'm new here but this forum has provided me with a very nice 243 varmint.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

[Linked Image]

You should be flogged to death with a wet noodle.... laugh

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have not behaved irrationally since about 6pm this evening when I lost a bidding war for a 270 Featherweight. I'm still not sure if the irrational act was the amount I bid or the fact that I didn't bid enough!

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My first was a late 50s Fwt in aught 6. smile

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

[Linked Image]

You should be flogged to death with a wet noodle.... laugh

Nice hunting rifle with no nonsense rings & bases that work, but the scope is an old clunker that should be replaced by high quality modern one.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

[Linked Image]

When you get over your lunatic fringe.. call me.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Razz
I have not behaved irrationally since about 6pm this evening when I lost a bidding war for a 270 Featherweight. I'm still not sure if the irrational act was the amount I bid or the fact that I didn't bid enough!

Razz, don't fell bad. I've missed a lot more than I've hit. There's always another one coming along.. Besides, you'll have another dollar or two by then. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

I got my first pre 64 in 2005.
It was made in 1956
The owner in Alaska, "Bert" Den herder, was said to have died, but I see now he lived for 6 more years.
He had it re barrelled from 30-06.
He had the barrel counter bored.
He cut off part of the stock but.
The previous owner shot:
2 grizzlies
6 moose
10 mountain goats
6 sheep
109 Sitka Black tailed deer
16 black bear
2 caribou

----------------------------
I paid his nephew $585 with Redfield TV scope.
--------------------------------

I put a 22" Pac Nor featherweight 270 barrel on it.
I put a Bordon Rimrock stock on it.
I put a Leupold scope on it.
I put a Harris bipod on it.
It now weighs 8.9 pounds and kills everything to 400 yards.

-----------------------
A age 56 in 2007 I shot my first deer with it.
I shot 5 deer that year with it.
I shot 4 deer the next year with it.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Not my first but a few of my favorites.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (160user, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 1lessdog, 65 invisible), 2,892 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,186
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.