Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
My vote would be for another rifle not listed, I'd go with a Remington Mod 700 XCR II and the left over money would go toward a Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 scope, for just a little more than your rifle budget you could have a first class rifle and scope, I have Had at least a 1/2 dozen of these rifles and every one has been MOA accurate right out of the box, they are surprisingly light and feel/handle great.............Good luck...................Hb

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Spot on assessment Hillbilly.......he he he.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 17_wizzer
There should be a Forbes 20b or 24b on your list. If you shop around you can find one near your price range.

Very accurate with many different loads and bullet types
easy to carry
durable
and a great bargain compared to a NULA

The forbes can easily compete with any of those on your list. It will beat several for sure in accuracy and weight.

With my biased opinion, having shot only number 3 and 5 on your list - the Remington and the Winchester- I chose Forbes.

I agree. They had some growing pains like ALL companies do, both of mine were just recently made and the fit and finish is outstanding.

I have owned two Nosler Patriots. Both were extremely accurate, with excellent fit and finish. The Nosler's stock is a B&C which for me, was a little too chunky. Also, they are push feed which seems to matter a lot to some people. Several of my family members have the Winchester M70 EW and they too have been excellent rifles. Accurate and reliable. Again, not a fan of the B&C stock, but throw a McMillan Edge on them and they are outstanding.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Out of the box, Kimber. If you can like and shoot a truly featherweight rifle. Under 6 lbs in a short action, under 7 in a long action. If you want a lightweight rifle that can come in between 7-7.5 lbs for $1200 buy a used Remingon or Winchester and buy an Edge for it. I prefer Winchester.

No one makes a lightweight stock for the Ruger. If you want a heavier 8+ lb synthetic I have no complaints with them.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
that list makes me laugh... espicaly since m $600 Tikka will outshoot every one of them....

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
That and a Sako A-7.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another vote for the Tikka and enough money left over to buy a good scope too.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
+4 ( i think that's where we are at) for the Tikka T-3 ..... My limited experience with mine has changed the way I view a hunting gun. It is vigorous to shoot(.300 Win mag) but accurate thus far and fits good and is slick and feeds smooth and is light and did I mention it is Accurate. You get the point. Only thing to do to it is clean it once in a while and shoot it......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by UncleSoapy
Who is number one, and why?

I'm a wimp and not interested in a heavy rifle so make mine a Kimbergrin . Recently put a new scope on an 84M in 7mm-08 and shot 430y, 490y, and 670y with good results using the 162gr AMAX.

Still need more testing, but so far its very forgiving to shoot at distance considering the light weight.

[Linked Image]

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I assume that all the 'fire folks that need a lightweight rifle have a real need for one given their hunting methods?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I was after a short action I'd try a Kimber, if I wanted a long action, or magnum I'd try the Montana rifle.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by EdM
I assume that all the 'fire folks that need a lightweight rifle have a real need for one given their hunting methods?

How many "Need" a heavy rifle? Just a preference. But it sure is nice when climbing at over 10k ft.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by ringworm
Steyr prohunter packaged with Zeiss 3-9 in Talley rings...1199.
Beats the chit out of everything listed.

Not a popular choice for sure, and it has to be the fugliest rifle on the face of the earth . . . bar none. sick

There's a reason they're selling (or not selling) so cheap.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
Another vote for the Tikka and enough money left over to buy a good scope too.

Based on the rifles on his list, I am thinking he wants a good stock too wink

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have in my safe both the MRC XWR .308 and Kimber Montana .223. Unfortunately neither one is mine! I bought the XWR for my son-in-law and the Kimber Montana .223 for my wife.

Fortunately, I have shot both.

I haven't put the Kimber on paper but have shot it at some short range (200 yards) steel. I gotta say that the Kimber Montana in .223 is probably about the most fun you can have with your clothes on. I am impressed with the overall package enough that if it ends up not shooting well, I'll just keep it and have it rebarreled.

I am extremely impressed with the XWR. I have spent a bunch more money on rifles that would not shoot nearly as well. Here is the thread I posted about the XWR. Note that the group shown is a 10 shot group. I'd venture to say that not many factory hunting weight rifles will do this…

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ntana_Rifle_Company_XWR_Rang#Post9645294

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
I have in my safe both the MRC XWR .308 and Kimber Montana .223. Unfortunately neither one is mine! I bought the XWR for my son-in-law and the Kimber Montana .223 for my wife.

Fortunately, I have shot both.

I haven't put the Kimber on paper but have shot it at some short range (200 yards) steel. I gotta say that the Kimber Montana in .223 is probably about the most fun you can have with your clothes on. I am impressed with the overall package enough that if it ends up not shooting well, I'll just keep it and have it rebarreled.

I am extremely impressed with the XWR. I have spent a bunch more money on rifles that would not shoot nearly as well. Here is the thread I posted about the XWR. Note that the group shown is a 10 shot group. I'd venture to say that not many factory hunting weight rifles will do this…

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ntana_Rifle_Company_XWR_Rang#Post9645294

John

Damn good shooting John. I have a 9.3x62mm that will shoot like that on any given day. Are you thinking about keeping that MRC and giving your son in law a different rifle now?? grin. I'd hang on to that sombeesh!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by UncleSoapy
Here are the contenders in no particular order:

1.) Kimber Montana
2.) Montana Rifle Company X2
3.) Rem 700 Mountain Rifle SS
4.) Nosler 48 Patriot
5.) Winchester 70 EW

Who is number one, and why?

2. Because it's made in America and it has all the features I look for in a well made rifle...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Originally Posted by ringworm
Steyr prohunter packaged with Zeiss 3-9 in Talley rings...1199.
Beats the chit out of everything listed.

Not a popular choice for sure, and it has to be the fugliest rifle on the face of the earth . . . bar none. sick

There's a reason they're selling (or not selling) so cheap.

Pretty just spreads her knees, ugly has to know how to fk.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
#2.

I think it's interesting that this is one of the "hotter" rifles on here and basically copys a pre 64 M70 with modern up grades.

Been hunting with similar stuff for decades. It's "familiar".

In 7/08 I'd take the Kimber simply because of the weight.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Sako 85 finnlight.

It's not on the list but should be.

Dink

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,394 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,422
Posts18,470,622
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.