-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 21 of 22 1 2 19 20 21 22
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for posting the images. That lady lived more life in those years than most could do in 4 lifetimes.

1Minute
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great, great photos! This is perhaps mt favorite thread in 11 years here. So glad you added to it. Thanks!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Great addition to the thread Bob!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
"Osa Johnson: The Woman Time Forgot"

video

Published on Jul 5, 2012
A collegiate student documentary sharing the story of Martin and Osa Johnson; Chanute, Kansas natives and famed explorers/filmographers. Produced by Pamela Peters and Kristen Livingston.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-U_5Q4CHlM

I HIGHLY recommend that folks here watch this video!

-Bob F. smile

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Thanks Bob!!!! What awesome photos! I really enjoyed them. I will try to share them with the wife tomorrow!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob, where is the museum located? Thanks--- Mel

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The museum is located in Chanute, Kansas.

http://www.safarimuseum.com/

-Bob F. smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Great to see you back, Bob! Great pictures as usual. Man how I would have loved to have done that flying safari! There is an interesting anecdote about that safari and she relates the story in one of her book. They were lost and almost out of gas when they found a large lake with a huge mansion next to it in the middle of nowhere. There is a book called The Africa House and it's a great read:
The Africa House

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BFaucett

-Bob F. smile

Thanks Bob, We'll be traveling in the area sometime this spring and will try to stop in. See was an awesome lady. I wish I could have had half of her experience. --- Mel

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Leslie Tarlton, old time African pioneer in the Safari trade out of Nairobi. I found this on the Donald Young site:

"The original Newland & Tarlton was founded in Nairobi Kenya in 1904. Victor Newland & Leslie Tarlton were the true pioneers of luxury safaris in Africa: inventing the concept of professionally organized tented safaris led by the finest guides and best camp crews. Their passion for excellence re-defined the Swahili word SAFARI and made it synonymous with stylish luxury and romantic adventure. Newland and Tarlton invented the concept of safari as we know it today and brought the “Golden Age’ of travel to Africa.

Newland & Tarlton’s clients included the Duke of Connaught, the Marquis of Waterford, Carl Akeley of the Field Museum, President Teddy Roosevelt and many others. Today, as during the “Golden Age of Travel,” Newland, Tarlton & Co. still set the standards for excellence and the true safari experience. "

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

-Bob F. smile

I've traveled through Chanute probably four times..Like a lot of places I learn too late what could have been seen there.

T
T
Great Story, rifle and life.

Best wishes.

The "T

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This is a great story. LOVE the pictures and history. Need to see some more pictures of this great old mauser

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Bump....after reading the recent enjoyable short story post "Rifle" that follows the fictional history of a WW II bringback, I was reminded of this thread and felt it was worth bringing back to the top.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Fun thread, inspired me to drive up to Chanute to visit the museum.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I read Osa's book 50+ years ago and was just loaned a couple of Martin's books on lions. For marrying a naive little Kansas kid, Martin did better than all right. They for sure had more adventures in their short years than 50 of us here will ever experience in our considerably extended lives. Great examples of never giving up on ones dreams.

Have the museum on the bucket list if I ever stoop to driving across this country again.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/12/17.

1Minute
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
I am new to the 'fire. Saw this thread listed. Just phenomenal the conservation that has been taking place over the years. I am definitely in the presence of those in the know. Have learned oodles of knowledge and just deepens my desire for a 9.3x63mm Mauser. Will nab a CZ when I can. This is just too cool. Thank you all. Now I need to put in overtime on top of overtime to get ANOTHER rifle I just gotta have.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Wife's family lived in Carthage, later moved to Wichita. We've been thru the area a number of times, never to Chanute, although pretty close.

When asked about it, wife said she remembers her parents mentioning Chanute.

I will make it a point to visit the museum next time we're up there. I'll do some homework beforehand, need to start reading their books.

Too cool...

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Although you will see various promo photos of the Johnsons posing in the cockpit and with flying caps,
they were not the pilots and navigators of the S-38 and S-39.

That credit goes to Vern Carstens, Boris Sergievsky and Al Morway.

Boris was a chief-pilot for the Sikorsky Co.
[Linked Image]
https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=95941429
--

Test pilot- Vern Louis Carstens:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
https://findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=35822607

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Still one of my all time favorite 'Fire threads.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 21 of 22 1 2 19 20 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 54 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,404
Posts18,470,164
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.