Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Guys,

You may be aware that many BPCR shooters use primer wads over the primer or under the powder in an attempt to further reduce the primer power (brisance). The intent is to reduce velocity extreme spread and lower standard deviations. I’ve been using under-powder wads punched out of 0.004” copier paper, but until now have never run tests to determine if they’re effective or if a different thickness is a better solution.

After completing a good bit of range testing primer wads I just published the results on my website. Titled, BPCR Primer Wads Test Results, the article can be found at the following link: http://www.texas-mac.com/BPCR_Primer_Wads_Testing_Results.html

But first you may also be interested in a previous article I just updated titled, Large Pistol Primers and Primer Wads in BPCRs, which includes an introduction to using primer wads. The link is http://www.texas-mac.com/Large_Pistol_Primers_and_Primer_Wads_in_BPCRs.html.

Wayne

NRA & TSRA Lifetime member. NSSF member. Author & Publisher of the Browning 1885 BPCR book.
See www.texas-mac.com
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Man, I never DREAMED of using .030 or .060 UPWs....I think that one would be back to square 1 in terms of moving the powder column in a disparate and erratic fashion.

I can really DIG the idea of putting .008 under the small pistol primers,....provided the firing pin's a fairly large dia, and set up with a soft radius.

As you've noted, we saw a LOT of breech face damage back than when it was all the craze and rage. You'll probably recall my getting my nose bit once or twice by endorsing the use of RIFLE primers in RIFLE cartridges, and using PISTOL primers in PISTOL cartridges. I had to REPAIR a lot of that damage to original breech blocks, and KNEW I was on firm ground.

Always called what you're calling UPWs a PWUP,...and was most concerned with NOT having any drop tubed powder down in the flash hole,....thereby getting a more uniform flame front.

I honestly think that if one FEELS that he's getting better accuracy on match day with any and all of these contortions, that he SHOULD go ahead and make em', as long as he's leaning toward longevity for himself and his rifle's hard worked parts.

Thanks for another good read, Wayne !

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
I honestly think that if one FEELS that he's getting better accuracy on match day with any and all of these contortions, that he SHOULD go ahead and make em', as long as he's leaning toward longevity for himself and his rifle's hard worked parts.

Thanks for another good read, Wayne !

GTC

Words of wisdom there.

Over the past couple of years, and for the first time in my shooting career, I have been serving as a range safety officer at our local range. I see it all, including many who spend considerable time and money "experimenting and testing", while not understanding and applying the most basic principles of science. So long as they do it safely, I really don't GAS, but it's kind of amusing in a sad sort of way. Just yesterday I watched and listened to a high roller with a $10K+ plastic rifle expound on his pet theory. He seemed a bit miffed at my obvious skepticism.

I see a lot of shooters, or at least gun nuts, with more money than sense.

But, hey, it's a free country.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
FWIW, I have a small quantity of those "Primer Pocket Bushings" that some entrepeneur was spooling up and flogging in the BP classifieds,.....jeez, at LEAST 10 years ago.
Good examples of what a Swiss Machine with a bar feeder can spit out, they take a standard LR pocket down to SP.

Anyone interested in playing with em' PM and I'll send em'. You'll owe me a beer,....and putting your (coherent) results here.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
In addition to his excellent tang sights, Kermit Hoke also offers a primer pocket swage tool.

I guess I'm too lazy or complacent to bother experimenting with pistol primers in my BPCRs. Or maybe it's just because I have plenty of rifle primers on hand, and my rifles shoot to my satisfaction. I do have a knowledgeable shooting buddy who swears by Remington pistol primers, though.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by texasmac
Guys,

You may be aware that many BPCR shooters use primer wads over the primer or under the powder in an attempt to further reduce the primer power (brisance).

No. blush I read the book that said use Federal 215's grin

Maybe I should try standard rifle match primers. I have more of those around, anyway. smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
FWIW, I have a small quantity of those "Primer Pocket Bushings" that some entrepeneur was spooling up and flogging in the BP classifieds,.....jeez, at LEAST 10 years ago. Good examples of what a Swiss Machine with a bar feeder can spit out, they take a standard LR pocket down to SP.
Anyone interested in playing with em' PM and I'll send em'. You'll owe me a beer,....and putting your (coherent) results here. GTC.

Greg, those bushings were a necessity back during the early days of the .454 Casull as it needed the oomph of a small rifle primer to get consistent ignition of all that H-110/W296. Eventually, they started making .454 Casull brass with a small primer pocket and thousands of the bushings became orphans.

I seated hundreds of them for my F/A .454 before switching to the small primer pocket brass.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

214 members (12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 17 invisible), 1,672 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,800
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.