Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
One would think the slop would be very detrimental to accuracy but in practice it doesn't amount to a hhill of beans when it comes to hitting a target out to as far as you can manage with iron sights. Having owned a few rifles down through the ages with bolt sleeve and/or cocking piece sights I can attest to that. I once owned two Mannlicher-Schoenauers, at different times, that had Lyman cocking piece sights in addition to backup sights. One had a Redfield mount & scope the other had express sights on the barrel, and I couldn't tell a lick of difference in target hit-ability when jumping back and forth between them. The couple of 1920s I have messed with, with Lyman 54s, one current and one 20 years ago, display no ill effects either.

If someone wants to pay me the amount of value decrease I would experience by d/t'ing my 1920 and mounting a scope in order to make a comparison test, I'm your huckleberry! grin

My biggest gripe is the crazy cost of these cocking piece and bolt sleeve (tail block) sights for various pre-war heart throbs.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No matter how much slop can be felt, when the gun is cocked & ready to shoot the spring tension should take all that up and push every thing into the same position every time, the sear is always holding it from the same spot. I would think if it were possible to move the position of the cocking piece while it were cocked it would return almost exactly to it's original position as soon as the force moving it was released. I have some 22's with a lot of play in the cocking piece and if you move them they always look like they go right back to were they were.

Gene
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
...guess I'm gonna scrap that Lyman 54 on my 20/26..piece of junk bolt sight.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Ha ha. Let me know when you take the garbage out next week...

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JeffG

I'll take it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Longbeardking

I'll take it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin

GOOD GRAB! grin

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Let me add, with all kindness in my heart, "grab this!" laugh

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

How much will "THAT" cost me? grin grin

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted By JeffG

How much will "THAT" cost me? grin grin

I wish you guys would dicker over a price offline. grin

Rod

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Dicker crazy - I don't even know her wink

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Realizing that sometimes there's a difference between the theoretical and the pratical, I appreciate your comments on the performance of Lyman 54s and bolt sleeve sights.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I reckon I could do an experiment with my .300, since it came D&T for a sidemount scope, and with a bent bolt handle. I'd have to round up the mount & a suitable scope, and shoot groups. Then swap in the other bolt, with its Lyman 54, and repeat the accuracy tests.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's up to you what you do, but for me, I would never in a lifetime switch bolts in ANY gun and shoot it. crazy crazy crazy

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Or just shoot one gun with the scope and then the other with the 54 as a comparison while using the same ammo in both. That would probably work good enough for the experiment and it doesn't require you to swap out anything.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
It's up to you what you do, but for me, I would never in a lifetime switch bolts in ANY gun and shoot it. crazy crazy crazy

I checked the headspace before doing so - which I should have mentioned. There was only .002" difference between the two bolts, which is not enough to worry about.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by olgrouser
Jeff is referring to item #255 at the Amosteag auction.

The rear peep sight is something else. Anyone have images of similar English bolt mounted sights?

I was trying to figure that thing out..,and couldn't, how does it work as a sight? There is also a tangent sight mounted on the barrel.

[Linked Image]

Overall, I guess the gun is alright...in a kind of dicked-with-non-factory way. wink

5250.00 Nice Price It Sold For

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1899sav
Originally Posted by olgrouser
Jeff is referring to item #255 at the Amosteag auction.

The rear peep sight is something else. Anyone have images of similar English bolt mounted sights?

I was trying to figure that thing out..,and couldn't, how does it work as a sight? There is also a tangent sight mounted on the barrel.

[Linked Image]

Overall, I guess the gun is alright...in a kind of dicked-with-non-factory way. wink

5250.00 Nice Price It Sold For

I was there but had to leave early. I was sitting next to the guy that bought the A2 special. That was a gorgeous rifle. I handled the 1920 that you mentioned. That was the slickest little rifle ever. That cocking piece peep sight was something to behold.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
So what's the story on the fancy 1920? Is it a Factory or a privately made custom? And beyond some guy having over 5K to drop on it, what makes it so valuable?

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not factory, reworked in England for some member of the aristocracy, just cool. Like anything, it is worth what someone will pay for it.

And to think, I paid less than $500 for one of Larry Koller's 1920s.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The people I saw bidding on the custom Savages were doing nothing less than drooling. The market might be soft to some people, almost every gun I saw sold, sold for more than the auction estimate. I am heading back over in a couple minutes. The same fellow that bought the A2 bought the 1920. If you REALLY want something,you'll pay the price.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

326 members (17Fan, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 1100mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 43 invisible), 2,434 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,077
Posts18,501,560
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.