Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Well,the new Hawkeye 280 arrived this evening. I got to give it a quick hands on inspection before putting it to bed for the night.

Overall the wood is OK. Good serviceable straight grained walnut.A bit of tool chatter down the sides,but nothing terrible.There was some light scuffing on the floor plate. It must have been sliding back and forth in the box a bit.

One thing that really surprised me was the barrel was floated quite nicely to the front of the shank. I figured there woud at least be forend pressure. Nice!

The front action screw wasn't torqued to 95 in/lbs. That too was nice. Now I can easily get it out of the stock for some trigger work.

The trigger was surprisingly light. Lots of creep though.

Now for another interesting discovery. For this being a new Lawyer Era rifle,the throat is VERY short. I will never need the whole magazine that's for sure. 139gr Hornady Spire Points seated to a COAL of 3.330 won't allow the bolt to close. 3.300 and it will close,but with distinct land marks. Not sure I like it this way. Gonna be hard to get all the juice from the round.

Over the weekend I hope to get a couple pics posted,and maybe fire a couple. The weather doesn't sound too promising,but we will see.

More to follow.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The free floating barrel is kind of a surprise. When you take the stock off see if there is still a pressure pad at the forend tip. My .243 Hawkeye purchased in January was free floated to the barrel shank as well so it was interesting to see they left the pad in the stock. Looks like they changed the action inletting to raise the barrel but didn't change the stock making program to remove the speed bump.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Will do Jim. I really like the feel of the Hawkeye stock. Nice slim grip. Lighter than I expected too.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Extremely rare that it would be freeloating. Trigger is "surprisingly" light too???? Hmmm...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My trigger was the same way - 4 pounds out of the box, not really light by itself but compared to the usual 6 pound pull of my other Hawkeyes it was a pleasant surprise. No creep but typical over travel, even that wasn't horrendous. Had a lighter spring installed when it was at the smith's getting bedded and that brought the pull down to just under 3 pounds, very nice indeed. The gunsmith remarked that he didn't have to polish the nose of the sear at all, that it was well polished from the factory.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Otter6
Now for another interesting discovery. For this being a new Lawyer Era rifle,the throat is VERY short. I will never need the whole magazine that's for sure. 139gr Hornady Spire Points seated to a COAL of 3.330 won't allow the bolt to close. 3.300 and it will close,but with distinct land marks. Not sure I like it this way. Gonna be hard to get all the juice from the round.

From my samples of those bullets collected over time it seems Hornady fattened the ogives a few years ago.

More recently the same thing seems to have happened to the 150 grain .308" flat base. To my annoyance I might add, my rifles not liking them as much.

Last edited by mathman; 03/26/15. Reason: content added
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Can't wait to see pics, wanna see the walnut.

I won't drink the swirled Kool-Aid
.....well, maybe, if it looks like wood
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Extremely rare that it would be freeloating. Trigger is "surprisingly" light too???? Hmmm...

I was laying in bed thinking about that last night. I would be willing to bet upon further inspection that it is sitting on the mag box. Dollars to doughnuts once the mag box is freed up it won't be floated anymore. Just a hunch.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The trigger was surprisingly light. Lots of creep though.

Congrats on your new Rifle. I picked up a new All-Weather 280 last October, followedby a .308 Scout and, within the last month, a lefty .308 Hawkeye for Daughter #1. All of the triggers were better than those of days past (M77, MKII) but they are very easy to clean up and all three are now very good.

The .308 Hawkeye was not floated but I fixed that. The All-Weather isn't floated either but shoots so nice I'm going to leave it as-is for now.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

My thoughts exactly. My last Hawkeye needed trigger work for sure and had pressure pads at the fore-end.

Otter,

Congrats! Post pics and let us know how it shoots.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I was laying in bed thinking about that last night. I would be willing to bet upon further inspection that it is sitting on the mag box. Dollars to doughnuts once the mag box is freed up it won't be floated anymore. Just a hunch.

If yours is free, it may well be the first. None of mine have been free (all three I still own and probably four that I have sold).

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you calculate the amount of powder that .03 inches of neck would allow you to add and apply JB's 1-4 formula, I doubt you'll lose too much.

Pointy bullets seated way out there do look pretty wicked, though! I'm pretty sure the AI crowd will be after you to ream it out and you could have the leade lengthened when you succumb to the pressure.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The shorter the better. Count the short lead as a big win.

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Pappy348
If you calculate the amount of powder that .03 inches of neck would allow you to add and apply JB's 1-4 formula, I doubt you'll lose too much.

Pointy bullets seated way out there do look pretty wicked, though! I'm pretty sure the AI crowd will be after you to ream it out and you could have the leade lengthened when you succumb to the pressure.

A gunsmith buddy of mine has the reamer. He will likely be the first to bring that up,lol.

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by UncleSoapy
Can't wait to see pics, wanna see the walnut.

I'll do my best. Photo bucket won't open for me anymore. I don't know where I'll end up for hosting now.

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
OK here we go. I fiddled with the Hawkeye a little after work. Took her out of the stock. Relieved the mag box. Studied up the trigger a bit. I may order a spring for it. Honestly,the more I mess with it,the more I think I'll try it "as is" for now. Not really terrible. There is in fact a speed bump in the tip of the barrel channel. Oddly enough it's still floated. Don't understand it,but I aint gonna bitch. A bedding job will likely evolve anyway. Just seems like the thing to do. I forgot how well the classic style Ruger stock feels. I am quite taken with the Hawkeye grip dimensions. What with my squat,thick hands.

Here a few pics. The weather is pretty much crap. I hope to at least fire her a time or two this weekend. We'll see I guess. A real range session would be great.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Here are a few bullets seated to be .005" to .010" off the lands.The 160 A-Bond eats up a bunch of case capacity. The 150 BT not nearly so much.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing frilly, just a handsome rifle. Probably all a boy would ever need.

How did you relieve the mag box? Is the idea that it not touch the action or the bottom metal, or just not be wedged between them?

Last edited by Pappy348; 03/27/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I filed the notches that the trigger guard and front action screw/ floor plate hinge fit in. A little at a time checking the fit a couple times until the box will wiggle a little with all the screws tightened. It's not rattling around in there mind you,but it's not bound up either.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Otter, Does your bluing have a gloss finish? I always thought Hawkeyes had a matte or satin finish. Nice looking rifle!

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
The barrel and receiver are gloss,and the bolt and handle are matte.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 79 invisible), 2,662 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,593
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.