-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The ground squirrels are definately up good in NE Oregon.

My brother in law and I went to a large cattle ranch near Enterprise Oregon yesterday and had good, steady shooting all day long. A fantastic day with bright sunshine, cool temps, the Wallowa mountains in view as a backdrop, and plenty of targets.

One highlight was when I inspected a kill that I made with my Marlin 22WMR. Through the scope it looked like more and larger "chunks" were thrown than usual. Upon inspection, I had knocked four squirrel embryo's from thier hiding place. This means with one shot we managed to take out five fleabag, grass chomping hole diggers. And, I had never seen a squirrel embryo before. Kinda wierd.

Another highlight was seeing the sky full of Bald Eagles that have learned to associate the sound of rifle fire with a dinner bell. We left our last field a little earlier than we otherwise would have to give them all a chance to eat in peace and in daylight. Two of the bald Eagles were, we presume, juvenilles. Unless there is such a thing as midget Bald Eagles.... They had their adult coloration, but were about 1/2 the size of what looked to be mom and dad showing them the way to the buffet line.

I had never seen small bald Eagles before, so that plus seeing another 8 full sized Eagles and one Golden Eagle was a real hoot for both of us. The single Golden Eagle landed on a fence post nearby to us, and boy are they ever huge! What a sight.

Got some blood on my BIL's new AR-15 but only with battle sights as his VORTEX scope has not arrived yet. Also bloodied my new to me Ruger 10-22 SS, checkered deluxe stock target model 10/22. Man, that thing shoots! Nikon rimfire 2-7x scope atop is a wonderful combo and set up. For a challenge we tried knocking over squirrels at a measured 125 yards and managed to connect a few times with the new Ruger. If we ere holding correctly, the rifle was up to the task. We kept the wind right in our faces and this helped with those shots a bunch. 125-140 yards was pretty simple with the 22WMR, and almost automatic with my old Sako Riihimaki .222 fed with Moly'ed 50gr TNT's.

We decided for this day to just bring light rifles and shooting sticks. No benchrest, left the heavy barreled .223 and 220 Swift at home. Made for a relaxing day, and helped us sharpen our field shooting skills in preparation for big game hunting later in the year. Shooting from a bench is not much preparation for hunting marksmanship.

All in all, a just terrific day. Probably my last hurrah before I go in for my Kidney transplant in a couple of weeks as I am really paying for my fay of fun today. But I am not regretting going even with the pain and exhaustion today. I hope ya 'll can get out and shoot a few hundred yourselves, soon.

As I am fond of saying:

"Blasting ground squirrels on a sunny day in the mountains is as much fun as a man can have with his clothes on!"

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They came out of their holes here today. Some didn't make it back in. laugh I'm trying out the 55 varmageddons in my 243 and impressed so far. My wife had her 204 but she was at the other end of the pasture and didn't take any pictures. She was shooting 32 vmax, and they don't leave much for pictures anyway. grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

http://pin.it/_WJQ2xO

and FREE EYEBALL!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Those pics look really similar! Glad you have some targets out, now.

Too much fun, isn't it smile

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (06hunter59, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 49 invisible), 2,322 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,039
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.