-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A good friend in Wyoming killed the #8 B&C elk with one shot from his .270 using 150 grain. I have killed several with the 130 core loct.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bob,

Eileen also once killed a Montana bull moose, about the same size as that cow bison, with a single Nosler .270 bullet. And the moose dropped much quicker, taking a step-and-a-half before piling up, also from a conventional chest-cavity shot.

But that was a 150 Partition, which is of course cheating.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I'd say that's pretty big. smile

Like a moose really.

Actually, buffalo is not like a moose. Buffalo are perhaps the toughest animal in North America. Few animals can take the punishment a buffalo can...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by moosemike
Telecaster, I hear you on the whole .270-.30/06 thing. I've agonized between those two cartridges for years. I was raised in a ".30-06 family" and if that sounds like some weird religious cult , believe me it was.

I totally understand. I was raised in a substantively similar "cult." wink

Now I find myself wanting to delve into 130 grain bullets for the first time . So I launched an exploratory committee. Hence this thread. smile

My first .270 was a Ruger No.1B I bought new when I was a 19 year old college freshman. At the time, my parents lived near the former Sierra Bullets factory in Santa Fe Springs, CA... As a kid, I used to walk or ride my bike there with a shopping list from my father to buy their "factory second" bullets by the pound in paper sacks. In my first .270, I shot whatever .277" bullets I could get from the Sierra factory in paper sacks. I wasn't too particular, but I was too poor to be particular.. LOL....

I don't have a .270 at present but I do have 400 rounds of 130 grain Interlocks over 55 grains of IMR 4350 in nickle R-P cases for the day when the inevitable happens and one comes home with me, as I'm sure one surely will at least one more time before I rotate off the mortal coil. Hopefully, it'll be a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight or Model 70 Super Grade this time........

I've got a .30-'06 if I feel I need to launch more lead, so I think I'll be inclined to keep life simple when another .270 does find its way in to my gun room and just shoot the 130's that the .270 built its well-deserved reputation with.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Don't mean to be an azzhole,but how so?

Because of their size or is it they are just tenacious?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
A model 70 FW or Super grade in .270 does sound ideal. I shoot a plain 'ol Win. 70 .270.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
When you get fed up with tracking, practice helps..

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
A model 70 FW or Super grade in .270 does sound ideal. I shoot a plain 'ol Win. 70 .270.

I'd be happy with just a plain ol' Model 70 in .270, too. A Model 70 is just fundamentally cool to me, no matter how "plain" or "fancy" it is. Heck, I even like the old push-feed examples.

My last .270 was a "new in box" c. 1951 Remington Model 721 and rifles don't get much "plainer" than a 721 ADL. wink It's one of the few rifles I've parted with that I regret selling.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I'd say that's pretty big. smile

Like a moose really.

Actually, buffalo is not like a moose. Buffalo are perhaps the toughest animal in North America. Few animals can take the punishment a buffalo can...

Bison look like really sturdy animals to me.I do know they taste good.

On the grizzly thing I 've never killed one with a 270 myself,but do know 4 people who have killed them with 270's and all used 130 gr bullets.Those folks all used Nosler Partitions and Bitterroots on them.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would say that with the best of our modern bullets the only line .270 users should be worried about is the one around the vitals of the game they are hunting. No matter whether it is a deer, a moose or a Grizzly

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As usual, Phil makes perfect sense in his comment. Personally, I've used a .270 for about fifty years now and haven't shot more than a handful of 150 grain bullets in any of them. I don't believe I have a single .277" 150 grain bullet in my reloading area. If I feel the need for more bullet weight than the 130 grain in my .270s, I grab a .30-06 instead (or bigger). If I only owned one rifle and it was a .270, I'd probably load a few 150s just to have in case I felt the need for more bullet weight.

TT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

I was working at a ranch that had a small herd of buffs for team penning. The next year they were gone and I asked why. Said they were too powerful and could go from standing still to full speed in about thirty feet while the cattle would take twice that. Buffs are really powerful. Would have been neat to see the great herds.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Not Shrapnel, I have shot 2 , the last one 2 months ago. Buffalo are big and built a little different than other NA game the heart lies pretty much protected by the frt leg. As JB already mentioned tight behind the frt leg 1/3 of the way up. Even shot in the heart or the plumbing above it it takes a buffalo a little while to get the message to lay down and die. Most of the time you buffalo hunt when they have their winter hair on, this can give you less than accurate idea of their lower body line so a lot of 1 st time buffalo hunters inadvertently make the mistake of placing their shot higher on the body missing the vital organs. Buffalo can soak up a lot of shots in the meat before they drop. Lungs are huge but again it takes them awhile to drop from blood loss . After you have seen a buffalo gutted and skinned it is a whole lot easier to see where the organs lie in their chest cavity. Most of the buffalo hunting today is for cows and spikes out of a herd environment for a specific animal. You have to wait for the angle you need and that there aren't others in the background that might be wounded by a pass thru shot. Big lead bullets will usually shoot thru from one side out of the other on a perpendicular rib cage shot, I imagine the Barnes acted much the same. When you are hunting buffalo in a herd that have been shot at more than a few times,you need to be as stealthy as if they were a herd of antelope because they just don't stand around long if they know you are there. Buffalo are very good eating, so it don't pay to have to shoot it more than once. I used a 500 gr paper patched bullet with 143 gr of Fg Goex in 50-140 Sharps at over 1500 fps to shoot my last one at 100 yds. It was a angling shot from the left rear of the rib cage to in frt of the right frt leg over 4' of penetration thru the grass bag,lungs, top of the heart,breaking the 4th rib behind the point of the brisket. The bullet was recovered from the muscle tissue of the rt frt leg. At the shot the cow stood there for 2-3 seconds made 3 steps going away, stood there for awhile before going down, another 4-5 minutes to expire. No 2nd shot possible ,the herd closed on her as buffalo do and tried to get her back up. Like I said before buffalo are different and don't act like other game animals. Hope this explains your question on buffalo toughness. Magnum Man

Last edited by Magnum_Man; 03/29/15.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TeleCaster

I'd be happy with just a plain ol' Model 70 in .270, too. A Model 70 is just fundamentally cool to me, no matter how "plain" or "fancy" it is. Heck, I even like the old push-feed examples.

My last .270 was a "new in box" c. 1951 Remington Model 721 and rifles don't get much "plainer" than a 721 ADL. wink It's one of the few rifles I've parted with that I regret selling.

I'm one of the few that much prefers push feed model 70 's. I don't like the looks of the Mauser claw extractor nor have I ever seen evidence that such a thing is necessary . The only actions that have given me feeding issues have been CRF's. I would choose a push feed over a CRF for dangerous game too. I read on an African hunting forum that push feed model 70's and 700's have been a common sight in the hands of PH's for decades. Now I'm sure Don (Savage 99) will be along shortly to tell me all the reasons CRF's are a must for Connecticut whitetail hunting, but I'll take my chances with push feeds.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Magnum Man,

A buffalo rancher in Wyoming, who'd been in the business for many years, also told me that bison metabolisms slow down noticeably in colder weather--which is, of course, when they're usually shot, because of the hides. He said in warmer weather they die a lot quicker.

I also know an older guide on the Ft. Belknap Reservation here in Montana, who's taken hundreds of people on bison hunts. Somebody once asked him his opinion on the best buffalo cartridge, and he said the .25-06--because he's used it to drop so many bison wounded by a hunter! But of course he knows exactly where to shoot them.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
270 Win with a 130 gr Nosler Partition would cover just about anything you want to hunt in the Lower Forty

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I shot my second moose at the age of 14 with a 700 ADL in 270 with 130 grain corelokts. It was about two hundred yards out in a clearing. I hit it right in the pocket(should area and lungs). It dropped right away and earned me Big Man at Moose Camp status, which impressed by present-wife.
While many here say the caliber is gay, my personal view is that it sure got me lots of ________. Not bad at all.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I also know an older guide said the - .25-06 because he's used it to drop so many _____ wounded by a hunter!

Fill in the blank, this pretty much covers all of Montana hunting, coyotes to elk.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
When people ask for advice I tell them to try a .270 and see if they like it.
I can't remember anyone being unhappy with their choice.
I just found a box of old Nosler 150 gr Solid Base.
I will load them up and see how the deer like them. My mechanic likes the .270 better than his 7mm magnum.
He says the rifle is so much lighter and handier.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man

Not Shrapnel, I have shot 2 , the last one 2 months ago. Buffalo are big and built a little different than other NA game the heart lies pretty much protected by the frt leg. As JB already mentioned tight behind the frt leg 1/3 of the way up. Even shot in the heart or the plumbing above it it takes a buffalo a little while to get the message to lay down and die. Most of the time you buffalo hunt when they have their winter hair on, this can give you less than accurate idea of their lower body line so a lot of 1 st time buffalo hunters inadvertently make the mistake of placing their shot higher on the body missing the vital organs. Buffalo can soak up a lot of shots in the meat before they drop. Lungs are huge but again it takes them awhile to drop from blood loss . After you have seen a buffalo gutted and skinned it is a whole lot easier to see where the organs lie in their chest cavity. Most of the buffalo hunting today is for cows and spikes out of a herd environment for a specific animal. You have to wait for the angle you need and that there aren't others in the background that might be wounded by a pass thru shot. Big lead bullets will usually shoot thru from one side out of the other on a perpendicular rib cage shot, I imagine the Barnes acted much the same. When you are hunting buffalo in a herd that have been shot at more than a few times,you need to be as stealthy as if they were a herd of antelope because they just don't stand around long if they know you are there. Buffalo are very good eating, so it don't pay to have to shoot it more than once. I used a 500 gr paper patched bullet with 143 gr of Fg Goex in 50-140 Sharps at over 1500 fps to shoot my last one at 100 yds. It was a angling shot from the left rear of the rib cage to in frt of the right frt leg over 4' of penetration thru the grass bag,lungs, top of the heart,breaking the 4th rib behind the point of the brisket. The bullet was recovered from the muscle tissue of the rt frt leg. At the shot the cow stood there for 2-3 seconds made 3 steps going away, stood there for awhile before going down, another 4-5 minutes to expire. No 2nd shot possible ,the herd closed on her as buffalo do and tried to get her back up. Like I said before buffalo are different and don't act like other game animals. Hope this explains your question on buffalo toughness. Magnum Man
Yes it does Thanks Magnum Man & Higbean.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,406
Posts18,488,965
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.