Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
A new kid on the block was exciting when it came out. Now that the dust has cleared and the shiny is off the new; what are your thoughts now? I know some of y'all have owned several or at least doted on one.

With newer premium bonded bullets and premium this and that bullets for the 5.56 do you regret going down the 6.8 road? Magazine prices and extra added recoil seem to be the only real draw backs. From what is available and being sold and on the shelf you would think this newfangled 30 caliber was taking the AR-15 world by storm, leaving the ugly old obsolete 6.8 in the dust of yesteryear and grandpa's model T.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Nope - still enjoy shooting mine. The same premium bullets are available in .270 caliber for the most part, and generally available.

It does what I need it to do, and will continue to do so.

There no doubt in my area that the .300BO is the new "shiny", it's by far the best seller. But I'm in a suppressor friendly state, so that has some weight on sales. I've tried one, not something I need.

As far as magazines, there are a number of same cost brands as 5.56. PRI mags are expensive in any caliber. ASC mags are all same priced, and work for mine.

Last edited by AH64guy; 04/02/15.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I've got 3 6.8 uppers and love the cartridge. More destruction than the 5.56 with bullet impacts. I am very happy with the 6.8.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Robert_White
A new kid on the block was exciting when it came out. Now that the dust has cleared and the shiny is off the new; what are your thoughts now? I know some of y'all have owned several or at least doted on one.

With newer premium bonded bullets and premium this and that bullets for the 5.56 do you regret going down the 6.8 road? Magazine prices and extra added recoil seem to be the only real draw backs. From what is available and being sold and on the shelf you would think this newfangled 30 caliber was taking the AR-15 world by storm, leaving the ugly old obsolete 6.8 in the dust of yesteryear and grandpa's model T.

I traded mine off a couple of weeks back. I was into it for awhile but...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I have one necked down to 6mm.

All I can say is I've shot quite a bit of stuff with it, but after a few years of that, I fell back to grabbing a 223 almost every time. And I have a few of those and the 6 and a 50 beowulf currently, but rarely shoot anything but 223 because it is easy, cheap, and gets anything done I need to get done from pigs to deer to varmints.

I don't see the use for it, but everyone has their own uses.

And I don't see there being much difference from a 95 ttsx out of the 6.8 and the 85 out of the 6mm version, IE I don't see that going up to full 6.8 could cahnge much for me.

Typically my mind set says 22lr, then 223, then 308, then a magnum. As far as whats "needed"

Doesnt mean I don't have in betweens that are fun, but I don't see a "need" so to speak.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
my mature thoughts.

To me the 16 inch barreled 5.56 is a very versatile gun, so next on my list is a second free floated LW 223. The 5.56 with a 62 TSX is more than adequate for any WT deer I will ever encounter, yet still shoots those now "somewhat" less expensive 55 grain practice bullets, wonderful cartridge.

I tried the 300BO in a pistol, it was not practical at $30/20 for Barnes 110 grain Vor-TX cartridges to give you only about 30 carbine performance. It is simply over hyped for hunting and really was intended for a specific application. Even the practice ammo for it was expensive and first time I saw a cartridge lose a primer to go under the trigger locking it up, no thanks. (Anyone want an almost brand new Eotech XPS2-0 for $450 shipped?)

The 6.8 seems to be a 250 savage in an AR15 platform. As I am just an old broken down (mature) dude that does not want to jump out of trees onto live hogs with a hunting knife and thus to me sitting in a ground blind in the dark at 50 yards from a hog feeder I find that the butt pucker factor is variable like the wind sometimes. So to me it depends on if your sitting there with an 11.5 pound SR762/red light combo resting in the Bog Pod tripod loaded with 150 grain WW "hog hammer" bullets or the 8 pound DD 5.56 loaded with 62 grain TSX bullets and red light. The 300BO pistol never made it that far, again primarily the butt pucker thing regards large animals in the dark, adequate penetration, and inability to make as good a hits with it, etc.

big mature thought..the pucker factor involved with crawling around on the ground looking for blood in the dark by yourself with a flashlight and a less than dead hog?? another mature thought, deer at a minute before last legal light, the 223 small blood trail, I will take only a neck shot, something to also consider.

The 6.8 OTOH looks very promising, and looks very doable in a sub 9 pound full up rifle.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The 6.8 was the sole reason I got back into the AR platform. I'd given up on it before that due to the marginal performance of 223 loads of the time. Now there are better 223 loadings but I love the 6.8 and I'm never looking back. ASC and CPD mags are cheap and recoil isn't bad. Can't wait to build an SBR version. If I want a 223 all I've got to due is swap out the upper. If you really want to learn more about it you need to check out 68 Forums.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Another Fad...to keep $$$$ circulating!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by rost495

Typically my mind set says 22lr, then 223, then .270 Win/308, then a .338 Magnum. As far as whats "needed".

There, fixed it for you. grin

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I put mine together a number of years ago when I had back surgery and was looking for a lighter weight deer suitable rifle that didn't kick much. A .223 with modern bullets would have worked just fine, but rifle loonies just can't turn down another excuse to buy a rifle.

Better bullets have come on the market since then that make the 6.8 even more suitable for deer, or maybe just more suitable for deer at longer distances. I can't imagine killing deer at distances farther than 300 yards in Michigan, so the other rifles have stayed in the safe.

I've got a bunch of older C-Product mags that work, so I don't need to buy newer expensive mags. I don't believe in loading over SAAMI length to gain more powder capacity either. The 4/1 ratio of powder capacity increase to velocity increase says that it just doesn't make sense.

I don't/can't hunt with a can, so a 220gr bullet at subsonic velocity offers nothing. I can't see using 125gr bullets at 7.63x39 velocities except in a 7.63x39 and I don't own an upper in that caliber and have no desire to do so. If AAC hadn't marketed the BO to sell more suppressors, it would still be almost unheard of.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mine is two years old so the 6.8 is not "old" to me. In fact, it's my favorite and most accurate AR. Weighs 8lbs as pictured. Comparable killing power to a non +P loaded 257 Roberts or 250 Savage in an AR platform.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by scottfromdallas; 04/02/15.

Scott
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jimmyp
my mature thoughts.

To me the 16 inch barreled 5.56 is a very versatile gun, so next on my list is a second free floated LW 223. The 5.56 with a 62 TSX is more than adequate for any WT deer I will ever encounter, yet still shoots those now "somewhat" less expensive 55 grain practice bullets, wonderful cartridge.

I tried the 300BO in a pistol, it was not practical at $30/20 for Barnes 110 grain Vor-TX cartridges to give you only about 30 carbine performance. It is simply over hyped for hunting and really was intended for a specific application. Even the practice ammo for it was expensive and first time I saw a cartridge lose a primer to go under the trigger locking it up, no thanks. (Anyone want an almost brand new Eotech XPS2-0 for $450 shipped?)

The 6.8 seems to be a 250 savage in an AR15 platform. As I am just an old broken down (mature) dude that does not want to jump out of trees onto live hogs with a hunting knife and thus to me sitting in a ground blind in the dark at 50 yards from a hog feeder I find that the butt pucker factor is variable like the wind sometimes. So to me it depends on if your sitting there with an 11.5 pound SR762/red light combo resting in the Bog Pod tripod loaded with 150 grain WW "hog hammer" bullets or the 8 pound DD 5.56 loaded with 62 grain TSX bullets and red light. The 300BO pistol never made it that far, again primarily the butt pucker thing regards large animals in the dark, adequate penetration, and inability to make as good a hits with it, etc.

big mature thought..the pucker factor involved with crawling around on the ground looking for blood in the dark by yourself with a flashlight and a less than dead hog?? another mature thought, deer at a minute before last legal light, the 223 small blood trail, I will take only a neck shot, something to also consider.

The 6.8 OTOH looks very promising, and looks very doable in a sub 9 pound full up rifle.

Jimmy

300/221 was a suppressed round from the get go. Don't know why folks saw anything other than that in it. Physics have not changeds.

RE pigs, on the ground, after dark and such. The only thing that matters is shot placement.

I"ve killed so many pigs with bows, at dakr, and then crawled around to find them in the dark, and I"ve never had a single issue with a pig to speak of. I had to kick one about 200 pounds in the snout once to deflect it. And I did stomp about a 100 pounder in the side of the head when it tried to get up. All places where guns where not allowed. No big deal.

Most of the paranoia of these things is in your head.

When allowed to use guns to this day I rarely use anything more than a 22lr anyway.

The joy of it is you can use whatever you want.

With the advent of good bullets in 223, the step up to a 250 is not nearly enough of a step up to get me excited at all.

But I still love playing wiht different rounds and seeing how they work, which is fun, since i have a stable of proven working guns if the experiments fail.

BTW IMHO if you are on the ground and facing a wounded pig at dark, I'd take my shotgun every last time with 3 inch #1 plated buckshot every last time. If I was afraid of what might happen.
Its what I took to trail my wifes largest hog shot with her bow... just in case... he bottomed a 325 pound scale and when she told me he was big, biggest she had seen, I decided maybe to be on the safe side. Then she says I shot him in the heart I'm sure, and he just stood there eating with my arrow in him and bouncing at each heart beat.

Really didn't need the shotgun, but with her along a few hours later to go look for him, I wanted to at least protect Carolyn just in case.

Was like I figured, 50 yards or less and dead.... but he had turned around and was bedded facing his back trail....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
dude I knew you were going to call me a wimp, smile but I am sticking with my crawling in a creek bottom thicket inclination...looking for a 200 pound long toothed somewhat pissed off animal at 2:00AM is not my cup of tea, I don't move as fast as I used too! I just carry a .45 ACP with ball ammo in it, but shotgun with buckshot seems like a plan!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I am not calling you a wimp at all, just saying pigs ain't as bad as folks make em out to be. At least to me. 50% of their "scare" is in your head.

Obviously you have to respect them.

but what I probably didn't say very well was, IF you have an issue with them, going from 5.56 to 6.8 ain't a move I'd be happy with.

When we hunted in a swamp bottom, that was when I bought the 50 beowulf. To start with a big hole and maybe even exit bigger. And to have some stomp if needed.

Buckshot is great for trailing... I use it all the time. I've flattened more than a few 200 plus pound pigs in the face with it. They flop. Never seen it not work, but then you do need to be fairly close with it, so have some patience.

And if I were you, I might be inclined to think more along the lines of 338Federal or 358 Win or such in an AR10, at least that would be a significant move forward.

I consider 223 to 250 to be like 223 to 243, sure its a jump but its not much of one.

PS I have used the 45 on a few pigs, but I"ve not been happy with ball ammo, I've bounced ball ammo slugs off old tires and such, I carry a decent 200 or 230 HP in it typically, or carry a 230 lead bullet. The 230 lead ones have taken more than a few deer in a trailing situation. They work much better than the ball rounds.

Have a great evening and weekend and Happy Easter if it suits you.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For my needs, the 6.8 doesn't do anything a .223 wont. If I were to try a different cartridge in the AR-15 it would probably be a 6.5 or 6mm variant. From the get-go, the 6.8 has just always been........meh......to me. I like my .308 for launching a larger round.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am considering it for two reasons. 1. Driving a 110 grain TSX a bit deeper into an animal than I can drive a 70 or 62 grain TSX and 2. it might make a bigger blood trail on a deer with an 85 TSX.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I am considering it for two reasons. 1. Driving a 110 grain TSX a bit deeper into an animal than I can drive a 70 or 62 grain TSX and 2. it might make a bigger blood trail on a deer with an 85 TSX.

In my experience the6.8 does more damage, no question.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The best thing to happen to the AR Platform and still is .

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
those 3 would be as dead with a 223.... just saying.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yep...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 308ld, Anaconda, 35, 11 invisible), 1,482 guests, and 850 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,749
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.