Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Whatever happened to the table that the treaty was signed on?

General Sheridan purchased the table and gave it to Libbie Custer. Where it is now, I surely don't know.

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
GB4

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Yes, the Yankees stole the damned furniture from the homeowner too.
They bought it from the owner.

[Linked Image from ]
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by ConradCA
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Yes, the Yankees stole the damned furniture from the homeowner too.
They bought it from the owner.

Not according to Mr. Mclean.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Lincoln ought to be dug up and shot again.

Chamberlain, however, appears to be a morally upright and worthwhile character.

Too bad he was on the wrong side.

Chamberlain's words in 1901. I was always impressed with the way he honored General Gordon. And General Gordon's action (as well as the actions of his steed) alway brings a tear to my eye. Only the honors that can be paid between two old enemies. Those between fighting men.

http://www.civilwar.org/education/history/primarysources/the-last-salute-of-the-army.html

Last edited by kaywoodie; 04/09/15.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are two words that define that war - Union and Confederacy.

Look those two up and give it a thunk. That war is still playing out, the "elite moneyed folk" overbearing the people who grow food and build the infrastructures, race be damned. Hence the "elites" who are running D.C.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Harry M
Damn pucking Yankees.... grin

I wish they would quit invading the South,

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I know that a lot of Yankees retire to Florida, but where else in the south do they go?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
What a bunch of sore losers.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I know that a lot of Yankees retire to Florida, but where else in the south do they go?

Only about half way back between Yankee land and Florida. In other words, right where I live.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by smarquez
What a bunch of sore losers.

We did not lose, only restocking. You are from CA so you don't count. :-0

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
What is there of interest for Yankee retirees in NC?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
What is there of interest for Yankee retirees in NC?

Better weather, scenery, family up north and Florida, used to be better housing for the dollar, other family members moved here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I guess, to each his own. After spending time at Fort Bragg, I figured that I'd seen all of NC that I ever wanted to see, although the Asheville area is rather nice.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
LOL. Yep, Fort Bragg is the pit of NC. I live 20 minutes north of Asheville which is on top of too many lists.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Regardless what happened in 1865, we do have a Negro problem today.. Nationwide.

Those living in the South can proudly stand and proclaim, "We never brought the Negro here, we just purchased them from Yankee traders."

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In the decades leading up to the War of Secession cotton production became to increasingly dominate the economy of the South, enormous acreages being turned over to its production.

Unfortunately, the perceived necessity for slaves to do the actual labor of producing this crop had the effect of further entrenching the institution of "African slavery" (to use a Southern term) as an indispensable component of Southern society, to the extent that slaves actually outnumbered the free population in South Carolina and Mississippi, and rivaled it in others.

As I said in that other thread, the South's dependence upon cotton exports was comparable to the Saudis' dependence upon oil exports today. ALL of the de-facto Southern Aristocracy, and ALL of its leaders owed their fortunes to slave-produced cotton.

The idea of secession was nothing new in '61, it had been bandied about for decades, and national politics had been for at least that long all about accommodating the disparate goals of North and South with respect to the expansion of that slavery.

In their own words, a primary concern of the Southern States at the time of secession was that population growth and demographic shifts would reach a point wherein the Northern States might legally impose abolition upon the South.

No accident then that the Confederate Constitution when it was written specifically enshrined and protected the institution of chattel slavery in perpetuity.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
It took some real bravery to face each other in battle the way they did back then. Those boys on both sides were studs.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
My God! 600,000 dead!

It was Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver (SFC E-7)who said:
"No, no, I've got them right where I want them -- surrounded from the inside."

http://www.macvsog.cc/1969.htm
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Actually, that "last time in history" is a bit of hyperbole, if you skip to 2:25.

I'm trying to recall the book years ago where I read an account of an elderly Confederate Veteran many years after the war at a reunion at Fredericksburg. His quote went along the lines of "Many people today are still fighting that war, those of us who were actually in it are just glad its over."

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
http://www.sobran.com/articles/tyranny.shtml

excerpt:

The Civil War, or the War Between the States if you like, resulted from the suspicion that the North meant to use the power of the Union to destroy the sovereignty of the Southern states. Whether or not that suspicion was justified, the war itself produced that very result. The South was subjugated and occupied like a conquered country. Its institutions were profoundly remade by the federal government; the United States of America was taking on the character of an extensive, and highly centralized, empire. Similar processes were under way in Europe, as small states were consolidated into large ones, setting the stage for the tyrannies and gigantic wars of the twentieth century.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1234, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 59 invisible), 2,239 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,924
Posts18,479,785
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.