Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Coyote Hunter,

Pretty much reflects my experience. Both times I was out of the hospital in under 24 hours. Low level of pain, though some moves did hurt, and the 4 inch incision is pretty tender to start with. You must have a standard transmission like I do. I was able to drive sooner with the right one.

You should be in fine shape by elk season. I had a harder time because of having the second one just under 3 months later, so my elk season started just over 2.5 months into the second. Doc wanted me to wait that long so I would not over stress the first. I was pretty careful the first 6 weeks since there was so much bone healing during that time. You will find your limits at various stages of healing, but even barely a year out from the first one, I am still noticing improvements over what things were like beforehand. It is sooo nice to walk normally again, even if I do need a new knee.

Finding a place with an ultra low infection rate should be right at the top of the list - totally agree. And a proven good surgeon.

I hope OP finds this all reassuring.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had my left hip done in 1988. I hunted elk for years in Colorado and did 10 years on state fire hand crews and 10 more on fire engines. 27 years after the procedure I probably need a rebuild, but no problems doing what you want to do ......

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I'm one of those guys who refuses to be cut up. I've observed friends who have bad experiences, and i've had some bad experiences of my own.

So, at the moment I have a hip that needs replacing, a ruptured disc in my lower back, and a meniscus tear in my knee.

I say screw it, take some Advil, and go hunting. I did give in to getting all the meat out alone though. I have a friend that comes out to help me now.

I'm not recommending this to anyone else. I'm just saying it's my way.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by BarHunter
I'm one of those guys who refuses to be cut up. I've observed friends who have bad experiences, and i've had some bad experiences of my own.

So, at the moment I have a hip that needs replacing, a ruptured disc in my lower back, and a meniscus tear in my knee.

I say screw it, take some Advil, and go hunting. I did give in to getting all the meat out alone though. I have a friend that comes out to help me now.

I can appreciate that. A lot of people go that way,but finally subcumb to the pain.

For me it was either wheel chair or the knife. One of the problems with back injuries and others is permanent nerve damage.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I agree it's not the best way. However, i'm still hunting, and it's hard to give that up for a chance for less pain that might end up keeping me from hunting.

Sort of playing the odds.

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I'm 43 but had broken back, neck, with rods and fusions and right rip replacement in '97. Got in an accident.

Since then I live my life and still kill elk. I am not as strong or cardio solid as I was as an kid but I'm still doing what I want and am still hugely strong.

Good surgeon is half the battle but streching, conditioning, and recovering is the other half.

Have goals and keep actively walking or biking.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
PeaEye -

As saddlesore mentioned, I'm less than a week out of surgery. Was in the hospital under 25 hours total. My surgery used the newer anterior (frontal entry) method, which required a 10 centimeter incision and doesn't cut through muscle, as is done with the older posterior (rear or side) method. There are a lot of restrictions with the older posterior (rear or side) methods but essentially none with the anterior method.

While I've been told not to drive for 3 weeks, I currently have less pain when walking than I did before surgery. And it has been that way almost since the day after the surgery.

My hunting plans this fall include taking all three daughters on a Wyoming antelope hunt and Daughter #1 on her first elk hunt. Doc says it won't be any problem at all, although I do plan to take it easier when elk hunting than I do most years.

The surgery has been a learning experience and something I put off for 6 years. The main thing I'd look for are the experience and reputation of the surgeon, the method used (anterior/frontal is the only way I would go) and the hospital record on post-op infections. Saddlesore made a surgeon recommendation to me and, after seeing three and researching a fourth, that is the one I went with. PM me if you're interested in that info. I see you're in NM, my surgeon and hospital are in the very south Denver metro area so not necessarily out of the question for you and highly recommended by myself, every nurse and the three physical therapists I've talked to since the surgery. Definitely worth looking into even if you go another route in the end..

Great info, I was told I need a hip replacement. Didn't bother applying for an elk tag this year because of it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you are in any kind of shape when you go in - and have an anterior technique used - 3 months recovery should be enough to allow you to hunt elk in the fall - though probably not like you once did. (On the other hand, the season before I got my hips done, I could not hunt like I used to be able to anyway.) Based on where I am at now, a year of recovery, like the Doc told me, is probably close to getting back to "normal".

I have to admit, this year I may not be up to par yet come elk season because I just had a knee replaced - after both hips last year. But I am buying a tag and will be out there. A double whammy on a single leg is a little harder to rehab, but I am hoping that 5 months will be about enough.

It is important to find a good surgeon, and a good low infection facility. Both are worth traveling to for your best outcome.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have 8yrs on a double hip replacement, I'm 61 and hasen't affected my Elk hunting in the least.You MUST stay on the exercise program !!! "It is important to find a good surgeon, and a good low infection facility. Both are worth traveling to for your best outcome." Very true, and one of the tools to finding a good surgeon is to talk to the physical therapists , in your area, they have to get people up and running after surgery and they'll usually be straight up with ya.

" He who refuses to do the arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense" John McCarthy

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You will find youself hunting slower because of taking the time to select good foot placement and taking longer routes instead of just bailing off the top of the mountain.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
And I thought I had it bad with possible cataract surgery in the next few. Prospects of eventually having hip surgery worry me less then having a knee replaced.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

BarHunter -

Grin and bear it was my method for 6 years after I tore up my hip. Last year, after driving 40 miles back to camp I stopped to gas up. I could barely make it from the truck cab past the back door to the gas cap. Not just once but multiple days. Ended up hunting from the truck the last couple days because I couldn't do anything else.

Now I am almost 6 weeks past my replacement surgery. Yesterday I bought a hybrid bicycle and look forward to riding when the doc clears me to do so. While I still have minor pain (that that decreases daily), I can now look forward to hunting like I did years ago.

Like my doc said a couple years ago, you will know when the time is right for surgery. Afterwards you will probably be like so many people I know, including myself, that wonders why the H they waited so long.

Good luck.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 05/16/15. Reason: spelnig

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
That may be true, but i'm in my 70's, and still hunting elk solo. I've learned to deal with pain pretty good.

I just feel if I had my hip, knee, and lower back operated on my hunting would be over. One of them wouldn't turn out well, and they all need to be fixed equally. So, it's all, or nothing. I'm going with nothing.

It's only pain. wink

Last edited by BarHunter; 05/16/15.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Malloy805
You will find youself hunting slower because of taking the time to select good foot placement and taking longer routes instead of just bailing off the top of the mountain.

Might work for some but I always without fail step into a hole while walking in the dark. grin

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Don't walk in the dark. laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That may be true, but i'm in my 70's, and still hunting elk solo. I've learned to deal with pain pretty good.

I just feel if I had my hip, knee, and lower back operated on my hunting would be over. One of them wouldn't turn out well, and they all need to be fixed equally. So, it's all, or nothing. I'm going with nothing.

It's only pain. wink

There is "pain" and there is "PAIN". I spent a month in the hospital with burns to both legs from the bottom of my shorts to my boots, both arms from my shirt sleeves to my knuckles, both ears and my face. Until the morphine came almost two hours later, the pain was by far the worst I've ever experienced. My pre-surgery the hip pain was minor in comparison but it was still affecting my daily life in very negative ways. It reached a point where I couldn't get up off the floor out of a stuffed chair without help.

If you can still do it, go for it. I reached a point after 7 years that a truck hunt was the best I could have done and that was questionable. I was down to a cane and crutches, depending on the day. Next stop was a wheel chair. Time to retire and head to better fishing country if that was the case.

Wife had leukemia and the chemo ruined several of her joints. So far she has had a hip, both shoulders and a knee replaced and her doc said the left hip has dead bone that is just waiting to collapse, at which time she will need another hip replacement. She had to get them done serially but she gets around very well now - far, far, far better than before.

There is a big downside to NOT getting the surgery done - comorbidity. In my case my hip was causing me to limp which in turn was affecting other things, including a bad knee I've had since I was a teen. Muscles were atrophying and my back was stressed and hurting so much that at the time I decided to get the surgery I was walking bent over at a 45 degree angle. Now my back is much better, I walk standing straight up and my knee isn't bothering nearly as much.

Instead of your hunting days being over, getting help through surgery might well extend them. It has for me. Two of my girls and my wife told me if I didn't get the hip done I couldn't go hunting this year. The sad part was I had finally reached a point where I agreed with them. Last year, as a precaution, I got a "Help, I've fallen and can't get up" satellite beacon. When I couldn't get from the truck cab to the gas cap to refuel without holding on to the truck, and then only slowly, I knew it was over, even if I didn't admit it at the time. Now I'm looking forward to a WY antelope hunt with family this fall, followed by a week-long CO elk hunt with a daughter and one or (hopefully) two sons-in-law. And many more hunts in years to come.

And, for the first time in 7 years, I will be free of hip pain. Doc says I'll be able to hunt, water ski (I gave up snow years ago but could ski that too if I wanted), swim, bike or do anything else I want - no restrictions. All of those were far too painful before. Before I gave it up several years ago I used to swim 5 miles a week. Now I look forward to getting started again. I haven't biked for years, either, but yesterday I bought a new hybrid bicycle and plan to start putting a lot of miles on it to build my leg muscles and endurance back up. My boss, for what it is worth, has had both knees replaced and is now a very active mountain biker.

The point is, surgery isn't necessarily the end, it can be a new beginning.

Like you, I had some fears surgery might be the start of a downhill trip and found multiple excuses for putting it off. But as others told me I would, I'm really glad I got it done. Now I realize I put up with years of pain for no good reason other than doubt.

Again, your choice. I hope it all works out well for you.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Thank you. I'll be thinking about it.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Coyote hunter makes some good points. Like CH,I waited longer than I should have and subsequently caused issues with my back and good knee. But when no one wants to be around you because you're miserable with the cronic pain It's time to do something.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
That's why I hunt solo. smile

I do move a bit slow, but I get there.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
^^^^ Perfect ! ^^^^

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 12 invisible), 1,558 guests, and 923 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,720
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.