Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
jwp475 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
J

[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You better tell that to the folks at Marlin as they've referred to "detachable box magazines" as "clips" in their advertisements for decades. Oh, and if you do, I hope they tell you to GFY.

J
jwp475 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Blackheart
You better tell that to the folks at Marlin as they've referred to "detachable box magazines" as "clips" in their advertisements for decades. Oh, and if you do, I hope they tell you to GFY.

So you support incorrect, got it.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm glad you posted this. It's at the top of my list of things to worry about in 2015.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
jwp475 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
J

As I suspected.

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The only one that really drives me nuts and has caused some wasted time is using the word 'Bullets' for what is ammunition.

Years ago I called a shop that was about 25 miles around. I asked if they had any 35 caliber rifle bullets on the shelf. They said yes (I should have asked what brand/weight, but I just wanted anything 35 at that point).

I arrive at said store, don't see them and ask. Guy says yes we do, we have 35 Remington and 35 Whelen.

I said they aren't bullets, they are ammunition. He told me that they are bullets, what I was looking for were bullet heads.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
jwp475;
Top of the morning to you sir, hopefully the day is breaking bright and clear in your part of the world.

This is one of the topics that typically get covered when I'm teaching our annual Hunter Safety course at the gun club.

It's all part of getting the class/students to learn and use correct nomenclature when dealing with any firearm and honestly I've found it to be an important foundation for good instruction.

For that matter, using common nomenclature in any learning/teaching venture is a grand place to begin, so again it makes sense to carry that into the firearms realm - at least to me it does. wink

All the best to you and yours this weekend sir.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
If you don't know the difference between a clip and a magazine.

Between brass and 'bullet shell casings'

Between bullets and ammunition

Between Automatic and semi-automatic

Between pistols and revolvers

Between assault rifles and sporting rifles.......

Then you have a high paying job waiting for you in the mainstream media! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, I will admit to not liking it when my wife tells someone I make my own bullets. I mean, normal guys make their own ammunition, but only wackos make their own bullets.

J
jwp475 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead
The only one that really drives me nuts and has caused some wasted time is using the word 'Bullets' for what is ammunition.

Years ago I called a shop that was about 25 miles around. I asked if they had any 35 caliber rifle bullets on the shelf. They said yes (I should have asked what brand/weight, but I just wanted anything 35 at that point).

I arrive at said store, don't see them and ask. Guy says yes we do, we have 35 Remington and 35 Whelen.

I said they aren't bullets, they are ammunition. He told me that they are bullets, what I was looking for were bullet heads.

If the clerk had know the proper terminology he would not have cost you to 50 miles round trip for nothing.

IC B3

J
jwp475 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by BC30cal
jwp475;
Top of the morning to you sir, hopefully the day is breaking bright and clear in your part of the world.

This is one of the topics that typically get covered when I'm teaching our annual Hunter Safety course at the gun club.

It's all part of getting the class/students to learn and use correct nomenclature when dealing with any firearm and honestly I've found it to be an important foundation for good instruction.

For that matter, using common nomenclature in any learning/teaching venture is a grand place to begin, so again it makes sense to carry that into the firearms realm - at least to me it does. wink

All the best to you and yours this weekend sir.

Dwayne

Agree totally.

J
jwp475 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by ingwe

Between brass and 'bullet shell casings'

Between bullets and ammunition

Between Automatic and semi-automatic

Between pistols and revolvers

Between assault rifles and sporting rifles.......

Sounds about right!

J
jwp475 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by smokepole
Well, I will admit to not liking it when my wife tells someone I make my own bullets. I mean, normal guys make their own ammunition, but only wackos make their own bullets.

Some rifle bench rest competitors have been know to make there own bullets. A lot of people cast their own bullets. Didn't know they were "wackos"

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Words matter and it appears more and more that accuracy with said words doesn't matter much to many.

I'm a firm believer in say what you mean and mean what you say. Perhaps 29 years in the military has shown me that bad things happen when orders/directions etc aren't articulated clearly.

When I see someone ask 'Has anyone shot Ruger American?' The only answer I see to that question is 'Yes' or 'No'

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by smokepole

Some rifle bench rest competitors have been know to make there own bullets. A lot of people cast their own bullets. Didn't know they were "wackos"

You didn't know that was a joke either, now did you?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ingwe;
Top of the morning to you sir, hopefully this finds you and yours well on this clear, crisp Saturday morning.

On the media subject, the thing that drives our family around the bend is their overuse of the term "high powered" - which seems to be attached on whim to whatever seems to suit the reporter/writer at the time.

We've finally got a .223 in the safe - should have had one 20 years ago ingwe, it's that much fun - but anyway whenever the media folks wax eloquent about a "high powered rifle" and it's either an AK or AR variant there's a whole lot of eye rolling and snorking at our house.

Anyway sir, it's my sad duty to tell you that media folks on both sides of the 5 strand fence medicine line seem to follow identical rules when it comes to actually learning about a subject they're writing about that day.

All the best to you folks this weekend ingwe.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ingwe

Or even as President of the USA!. <smirk>

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
jwp -

I'm sure you know and hopefully most here 'nose' that there is a difference between ignorance and common usage.

Another example is caliber and cartridge. Nearly all the new rifle boxes I've seen state, "caliber 30.06", "caliber .308 Win",
etc. etc. Actually I don't remember any rifle box actually stating the caliber (.277, .257, .284).

In a way it makes sense to avoid confusion. However the same could be accomplished by stating 'cartridge'. But then... grin and so it goes.

Have a goodun
Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
You guys are hilarious,can't wait for the day when someone tells me to"GFY".I think it would make me feel more a part of the campfire.lol

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Then there is bullets vs. points.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1minute, 22250rem, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 16penny, 204guy, 53 invisible), 2,369 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,912
Posts18,498,283
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.