Ergo Grip
Cavalry Arms M4 stock
DPMS carbon fiber handguard
16" Shaw lightweight barrel
A2 flashider
DPMS bolt/carrier
Delton upper with M4 feed ramps
Burris FFII 2x7 scope.

Shot this bad boy at the range this past weekend at 125yds I was getting .75" groups with Winchester white box 45's. Clocked it at 3100 fps. Should be fun for calling dogs this winter when I have to hike in a couple miles. It is so friggin loud that I will have to call with earplugs though.

--------------------

Attached Images
975415-AR15.jpg (0 Bytes, 223 downloads)
GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I was getting .75" groups with Winchester white box 45's. Clocked it at 3100 fps. Should be fun for calling dogs this winter when I have to hike in a couple miles. It is so friggin loud that I will have to call with earplugs though.

--------------------

You may want to try different loads. Where your accuracy is good, your velocity for a 45 grain bullet is low. That is one of the reasons that it is as loud as it is. You still have velocity-building pressure when the bullet exits the barrel.

Nice looking gun! I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental illness"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sweet.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
You may want to try different loads. Where your accuracy is good, your velocity for a 45 grain bullet is low. That is one of the reasons that it is as loud as it is. You still have velocity-building pressure when the bullet exits the barrel.

Actually I think 3100 is about right for a 16" barrel.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Purdy!

Your hikes will be much more enjoyable from this point on. Gave up a heavier .22-250 bolt for a 16in BM to do the same thing. Felt like boot camp when handed the first 16's after training with the 14's. Light and compact...the only way to go.

How do you like the two-stage Bushy? Exactly what you were after, close, otherwise......?

Enjoy your new yote' getter.

IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Nice rifle! Enjoy!!

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Purdy!

Your hikes will be much more enjoyable from this point on. Gave up a heavier .22-250 bolt for a 16in BM to do the same thing. Felt like boot camp when handed the first 16's after training with the 14's. Light and compact...the only way to go.

How do you like the two-stage Bushy? Exactly what you were after, close, otherwise......?

Enjoy your new yote' getter.

Yeah, I have several varmint guns, but this is probably the lightest. Should be nice to retract the stock and throw it over the shoulder.

That Bushmaster trigger is a far cry better than stock triggers, and it is a lot better than even low power springs. The first stage is not real smooth, but it does work, and the second stage is nice and light like a bolt gun.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks for the reply and information.

About a month ago I took a poke at a yote' in Montana at a lasered 375 with my BM Varminter. I was shootin' gopher's and happened to see him at a distance through my 10X Geovids before the shootin' started. Figured the drop, had a slight right to left wind. Made mental adjustments and let her fly (50 gr. V-Max at 3,272 fps, BH's BB). Wind wasn't evidently effecting the area where the yote' was as my bullet struck just off the hair to her right side, chest high, face-on. Bummer. Boy can they fly and don't much care to find out where it came from or why.

Shooting the same bullet at 3,487 fps with my reloads now. Finally have enough LC brass to make it worthwhile.

Good times. Love that yote' huntin'.

Best of luck on your hunts and enjoy your new AR.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Yeah, those dogs look like a rocket when they decide it is time to leave, LOL.

I have two other AR's, one is a burner for plinking, the other is a 20" heavy barrel. I have used it a few times calling, but it is too heavy so I built this one for carrying.

Cannot wait to get out there and do some calling, going to start in Oct. Good luck.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Good luck to you as well and thanks for the info.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Woot...

nice gun there... say good by yote....

i'm retired,,,or is it Really tired,,,i forget

retirement is to dang busi for me...
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D

Actually I think 3100 is about right for a 16" barrel.

I have no idea as to the load, but I get about 150 fps more than that out of my son's 16" with a heavier bullet. I'm sure there are loads out there that will not yield any more than 3100 fps, but that's my point. Try and find one with a slightly faster burning powder. You will get better velocity and the noise won't be quite as bad.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Problem is I don't handload for my AR's. I have always had good accuracy with the Winchester white box. I don't have a progressive press and can't see spending an hour loading ammo that I can burn through in five minutes. And most of the bulk 223 is fmj which is no good for hunting. I think Remington makes some, but heard bad stuff like lots of case head separations and kabooms with it.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Handloading will give you a few more options, but I wouldn't do it either if I didn't have a good progressive press. I don't even load for my test ammo any more. I just buy
Black Hills blue-box for that. I handload all of my prairie dog ammo on a progressive. It's well under 1/2 the price of comparable blue-box ammo, and better velocity.

I just started trying some of the Winchester and Remington bulks stuff.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
+1 for the Black Hills re-man'ed Blue Box ammo. I finally got some 52 grain bthp to try one of these first days. The 40 and 50 grain Vmax's shoot great in my .223 uppers. The fmj is so-so comparatively at 1.5". The vmax's shoot 1/2 moa but are pricey. That 52 grain stuff shot great in a friends gun so I'll see what it does in mine and it's several dollars cheaper than the vmax. They must have a dozen loadings including 60 grain Partitions, which I'll try too when I find them.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1moredeer, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,614 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,816
Posts18,516,626
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.