Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by lastround
Guys, I know this thread topic has been worn out in the past, but it's really interesting to hear what other folks would choose if there could be only one. If I stop and think about the question, there are a lot of clarifications to answer. What will it be used for? How easy is it to carry? If I didn't reload, can I find ammo easily? Do I need to conceal? I haven't decided on my one and only yet......... Probably wouldn't be any that I currently have in the safe.

As much as I like my 44's and 45's, my "last resort" revolver would be a DA 357 Magnum, a 4- or 5-inch S&W 686. I have several of these in my safe and shoot them a lot. In my view, the 686 is more versatile than any big revolver ever could be. With light loads it's suitable for small game. Medium loads are more than adequate for personal defense. And heavy loads will work to bring down any large game in North America short of the big bears.

A 4" L-frame S&W is the best-balanced DA revolver I've ever found, with the slightly heavier Ruger GP100 a close second. Both closely match for balance and pointability the best-balanced revolver of all time, the Colt Single Action Army 4.75". The primary reason I didn't choose the SAA is that in my opinion single action revolvers are simply not as ergonomically effective for rapid deployment in defensive/tactical situations. I'm including defense against 4-legged as well as 2-legged varmints, here.

The N-frame Smiths are bigger, heavier, harder to shoot rapidly... at least in my hands. The Ruger Redhawk is even more so. The K-frame S&W's are too light to stand up to heavy duty loads. The heavier Ruger single actions, while wonderful hunting guns, lack the efficiency of a DA trigger.

The 357 Magnum revolver has the advantage of easy ammo availability. You can fire just about any 38 caliber rimmed cartridge in it, and I predict you'll be able to buy 38 Special ammunition almost anywhere in America until the Second Coming.

Just my dos centavos.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
Originally Posted by jwp475

Ruger Redhawk with Dan Wesson barrel system in 45 Colt

Easy to change calibers with this system

[Linked Image]

Who is the pistolsmith responsible for the wizardry, if I may ask? Very cool!!

Jack Huntington, did the wizardry.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by gitem_12
4 inch 41 magnum Mountain Gun

Outstanding choice. For me it would be either that or my 4 inch Redhawk 45 Colt.

[Linked Image]

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
4 inch barrel model 19, S&W, .357 magnum. It does it all. Thanks goodness I have one. laugh
[Linked Image]

Sam......

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The 4" M19/M66 is almost as close to a perfect packin' pistol as you can get... except for the M686. I've had several M19's and M66's, but just have one now.

The M19/66 is, like all K-frames, just a little too lightly built to tolerate heavier loads. I shot a M65 out of time in less than 2 years using full-power 357 loads on a regular basis (admittedly, it had seen a lot of time as a police service revolver before I got it and fugged it up). I learned with that K-frame gun that stout 180 gr loads are beyond the K-frame's design parameters.

I can and do shoot heavy-loaded 158 gr and 180 gr bullets in my L-frames, and do so without any fear of damage to them. I admit I rarely shoot 180's any more, because I can do anything I need to with 158's. I reserve the 180's for my 357 lever rifles, where the longer barrel and slow-ish powders can really wring some performance out of them.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DocRocket

A 4" L-frame S&W is the best-balanced DA revolver I've ever found,

I agree & I love the one I have, but if I could only have one, it would be a 6" Model 57.

Had a great one, no-dash, & in a fit of stupidity, sold it.

MM

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The new L-Frame S&W Model 69 in .44 mag sure are nice.

As far as K-Frames go, the 3" Model 66 is close to perfection IMO.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
The new L-Frame S&W Model 69 in .44 mag sure are nice.

Gotta agree. Really been loving mine. Not sure if it would get the nod over my 5.5" Redhawk but it would definitely be in the running.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Hard to argue with a 4" DA 357. Mine is a Security Six.

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I already have my "one" revolver, my SW Mountain Gun in 41mag.

IC B3

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mine won't impress anyone, but does all I need it to. Ideal trail gun, and I like it. smile

38 S&W

[Linked Image]

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by gunner500
Whitworth's 500 single action, why, pure beauty combined with raw power.

Not to covet of course, only if he'd sell. grin

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by lastround
.......what would it be. I know this is not how it is in real life, but just for fun, play along. One revolver, regardless of caliber. And why? Pictures welcome.......One revolver over all others.....

For any of us on the campfire to only have one revolver would require some cataclysmic, apocalyptic, end-of-world, Armageddon-esque event; or perhaps a Hillary presidency (if that's not redundant). In any case, the need for a gun to withstand the potential abuse of competition or the constant use of magnum ammo would be unrealistic; nice perhaps, but not necessary. Therefore I'd be hard pressed to decide between these two:

[Linked Image]

…..concealability would be a perq, but not a requirement during a melt down of society….consistent-carry would trump concealed-carry and the model 19/66 is about as easy a full sized gun to carry as there is. My first revolver was a 2 1/2" model 19 and it was a wonderful handgun that I wish that I had kept.

Let's pray that we never have to "grab and go" with just one gun!!

Last edited by gmoats; 04/13/15.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
S&W 629 Mountain Gun, plenty of power and utility.
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
A 629 mountain gun or 4" Redhawk would be a pretty practical choice for those living in areas with large predators and/or frequently around large stock animals.

I find the .44 mag and .45 Colt to be extremely versatile, with lots of practical loads available to the handloader, from snake shot to heavy for caliber bull stompers.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tough call. It would be one of these. Probably the 629. Specials for SD and full house loads for hunting situations. But the 19 wouldn't be a bad choice either.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gmoats
My first revolver was a 2 1/2" model 19 and it was a wonderful handgun that I wish that I had kept.

I have a 2 1/2" 66 that goes most everywhere I do. I can't imagine not having it.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
A 629 mountain gun or 4" Redhawk would be a pretty practical choice for those living in areas with large predators and/or frequently around large stock animals.

I find the .44 mag and .45 Colt to be extremely versatile, with lots of practical loads available to the handloader, from snake shot to heavy for caliber bull stompers.

Exactly, as they can be loaded from mild to wild to handle any situation perfectly. Not so with the 357 as it is light in the loafers for really large game.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I would like a .45 Colt/ACP, Ruger Bisley Vaquero in SS with adjustable sights, 4"+ barrel, aluminum ejector rod housing and aluminum Bisley frame, heavily fluted/chamfered cylinders and scalloped recoil shields.

I'm guessing it can get down to 31 oz smile

Last edited by alukban; 04/13/15.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Exactly, as they can be loaded from mild to wild to handle any situation perfectly. Not so with the 357 as it is light in the loafers for really large game.

…..fully agreed to…..however, in time of disruption (not necessarily a criteria according to the OP), .38 spl. and/or .357 will certainly be easier to come by than .44 mag/spl. or .45 lc. The only reason that I'd have only one revolver is because of some severe disruption.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 3333vl, 65 invisible), 2,340 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,461
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.