Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ringman,

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by ingwe
Somehow the Christians got this thread to spin out of control.

That was the whole point. I didn't want the Christians messing up the tragic comedy of Fireball and his 3rd wife, the Mail order Filipino one...

Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by eyeball
K
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn
Even if you can talk her into coming back, she is already gone, all you will have is the shell of the woman you knew.

Not once, in any of your posts did I see you declare love for her or the want of her. I think your gone too, don't destroy each other in the process of fighting for something neither one of you want anymore.

If the Good Lord wants you together he will keep you together, otherwise free will is yours and hers.

So i guess the Lord wanted Hitler to kill Jews? Or, OJ to kill his wife?

Come on Doc,

That's a little over the top.

If you want to throw those hammers I'll start a thread on the 170k year old Neanderthal DNA, but let's not do that here.

Now if you are trying to suggest that the Bible an Prayer are not the answers to our friend Fireballs current dilemma, and that perhaps he needs to explore a new approach to his relationship with his wife, I could agree with you. I believe the dynamics of the modern relationship have moved beyond what's in scripture, and I hope FB can use this as an opportunity to view the relationship in a new light and look beyond their traditional solutions.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've ask him to do that before, and he won't do it, because he can't fit real history into his imaginary time line.

Sorry, boys, I thought did that awhile back. I started with the creation and did a little arithmetic from Adam to Noah's Flood. I came up with 1,656 years. Since I did that about thirty years ago I have read many others did the same thing and came up with the same number of years. Abraham is modern history; according to archaeologists I have listened to in lectures. He was born 300 years after the Flood about 2,000 to 2,100 years before Jesus Christ was born. Split the difference and go with 2,050 to make things easy. It's been 2,000 years since Jesus was born. These simple numbers bring us to an age for the universe of about 6,000 years.

I am not dogmatic about the number being 6,000 years, but am certainly dogmatic Scripture is the Key. I would go with a plus or minus of 100 years from the 6,000 without argument.

By the way, there is no verifiable history that goes beyond that.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
I don't know exactly what happened and how old the earth is. The idea that it is only 6,000 years old is relatively recent and while I believe in the Bible, I'm not sure that merely counting the years in a genealogy actually gets us to an exact age for the earth. But, there are plenty of problems with the other extreme as well.

You might want to do a little more research on this subject. The ancients accepted the genealogies in God's Word as real history and concluded they do give us a rough age of the earth
and universe.

Go back to your scripture regarding the part of 'a thousand yrs is like unto a day,,,etc., etc.' and you get a broad idea concerning the earth's age. [/quote] Oops I flubbed up the quote!

I have no idea how old the earth is and I don't really care. I get what your saying about the day is like 1000 years but I don't think that's literal but is a suggestive thought about time, maybe i missunderstood you and thats what you were saying. I have not a clue about most things theological or geological but I do know about his goodness, mercy and Love cause he has proved it to me and nobody can despute it.

Last edited by seal_billy; 04/15/15.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Ringman
I've ask him to do that before, and he won't do it, because he can't fit real history into his imaginary time line.

Sorry, boys, I thought did that awhile back. I started with the creation and did a little arithmetic from Adam to Noah's Flood. I came up with 1,656 years. Since I did that about thirty years ago I have read many others did the same thing and came up with the same number of years. Abraham is modern history; according to archaeologists I have listened to in lectures. He was born 300 years after the Flood about 2,000 to 2,100 years before Jesus Christ was born. Split the difference and go with 2,050 to make things easy. It's been 2,000 years since Jesus was born. These simple numbers bring us to an age for the universe of about 6,000 years.

I am not dogmatic about the number being 6,000 years, but am certainly dogmatic Scripture is the Key. I would go with a plus or minus of 100 years from the 6,000 without argument.

Here is the specific question you would not answer:

What is the earliest non-biblical even you will place in history?

Lets say something like the Pyramids. When where they build?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I would go with a plus or minus of 100 years from the 6,000 without argument.

[Linked Image]

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The oldest civilization is right there where the Bible said it was in Sumer. Lots of people theorize, not just Biblical scholars, that Gilgamesh and Nimrod of the Bible were one and the same person.

Now, the oldest stuff that has been found yet indicating civilization of a sorts has been found more recently here: Gobekli tepe Which interestingly, is on the plains of Turkey. Right where the Bible says Noah's people first went after the flood. Interestingly, amazingly accurate carvings of animals, some not native to the region at all, are a prominent feature of these artifacts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Originally Posted by rattler
they are to old for carbon dating....carbon dating only works to 50,000 years....have to use a different isotope.....which is what you dont seem to get, there are several ways to do it and they have overlap to help you double check rather than going by one set of data.....but that would require you to do some research...

either isotope dating works, or radiation therapy is hocus pocus and shouldnt be allowed....cant have it both ways.....either we understand how to measure isotope half lives and how to measure proportions of those isotopes in a piece of material or we dont....

You bring up an interesting point. Carbon 14 is rather limited. It doesn't go back very far. Really old stuff is generally dated by what sedimentary layer it is found in. And these sedimentary layers are based on the assumptions that the processes that laid them down were the same then as they are now. And of course, once that is established they think they know what layer certain fossils are found in, the presence of these fossils is used to date the layers. It is rather circular.

I'm not saying it is wrong. I'm not that dogmatic about it. But, the point is that beyond a certain point, it really is elaborate guesswork about the age of fossils.

And there are anomalies that really can't be explained. For instance, if twenty-five years ago you had asked a scientist if it were possible to recover soft tissue remains from dinosaur fossils, they would have scoffed at you. No soft tissues could remain viable for the tens of millions and even hundreds of millions of years since the dinosaurs. Maybe a few thousand years, but no way could they remain for millions. Yet, here they are and relatively common too. So, now scientists will tell you that soft tissue can remain viable that long, because obviously, dinosaurs couldn't have been around just a few thousand years ago...

sorry worked a lot of hours the last two days and just said to hell with the 'fire.....

there are a number of different ways to date without going by layers even way back. radiometric dating is good back to 3,640 million years with an accuracy plus or minus 30 million years.....closer you get to present from there the better your accuracy usually is depending on which of the more than a dozen isotopes you use. there are also some crystal tests based on when quartz grains were last exposed to the sun but you need to be careful to collect your sample in complete darkness but you dont go back to far with that.

as to the soft tissue in dino bones...what has been found is basically the "rebar" part of the bones and if yah asked organic chemist they could have told you it was theoretically possible for that stuff to last a long damn time, its extremely resistant to degradation if protected even a little bit.....

most paleontologists and the general public arent organic chemists. the stuff is extremely durable and stable but its far from what most of us think as "soft tissue", definitely not anything that would contain DNA or the like.....it takes alot of acid to even bring the "soft tissue" out of a 68 million year old fossil, some seemed to think they cracked open the fossil and blood or something leaked out....

Last edited by rattler; 04/15/15.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ingwe
Somehow the Christians got this thread to spin out of control. If the DNA sample came from the Grand Poobah, don't you think it would just be easier to ask me about it?

Do you remember a sample being taken? Did you "deposit" one and someone snuck behind you and collected it?

Do you even leave samples or are you "full of it"?

Did DNA even exist when you were young? Were you ever young? Can you remember that far back? How long do memories last? Can you radio-carbon date them?

Is your beard a remnant from the last Ice Age?

By God, inquiring minds want to know!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lets say something like the Pyramids. When where they build?

About 1,800 before Jesus, plus or minus 100 years.

Everyday Hunter
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Radiometric dating is for rocks is it not? It is not used for dating organic artifacts. So, the only way to guess at an age for them is to find them within sedimentary layers. And dating the rocks in those layers doesn't necessarily tell when those layers were put down right?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
rattler,

they cracked open the fossil and blood or something leaked out....

You have not kept up with the newest info. They didn't find blood leaking out, but they did find blood cells and soft tissue.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JoeBob,

Radiometric dating is for rocks is it not? It is not used for dating organic artifacts. So, the only way to guess at an age for them is to find them within sedimentary layers. And dating the rocks in those layers doesn't necessarily tell when those layers were put down right?

If I took a single rock and broke it into four pieces and sent it to four different labs I would get four different ages, depending what fossil I told them was near the rock.

The idea of radiometric dating is fraught with assumptions. One has to assume there was no daughter product in the beginning. Ohe has to assume there was no daughter or parent product leached in or out of the sample. One must assume the decay rate has not changed for hundreds of millions of years.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
rattler,

they cracked open the fossil and blood or something leaked out....

You have not kept up with the newest info. They didn't find blood leaking out, but they did find blood cells and soft tissue.

no they found stuff with the appearance of blood vessels but are more than likely just the collegen in bone. dino bones are bird bones they are full of pores and the collegen in the bone is going to form to these pores in the bone....they also found what MIGHT be remnants of the iron from hemoglobin....that is a LOOOOOOOOOONG way from blood cells.....

do yourself a favor, get yourself some science text books and dictionaries and use those to try to get through the actual scientific papers and not the crappy headline journalism that makes it to pop-culture news...

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
To No one in person here, just an observation.

I find it funny the same arguments keep coming round and how a post poking a little fun at the esteemed Grand Poopah becomes a thread about how both sides know just exactly how old the earth is. I find it even funnier that anyone cares how old the earth is. It is no wonder so many shake their heads about the crazy Christians. I am shaking my head myself. crazy

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
or at the very least, subscribe to science news sites that dont get the facts wrong or dumb them down so far that what they tell you is only remotely connected to reality....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
are more than likely just the collegen in bone

In other words, you haven't read the latest.

Everyday Hunter
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Scott F
To No one in person here, just an observation.
I find it funny the same arguments keep coming round and how a post poking a little fun at the esteemed Grand Poopah becomes a thread about how both sides know just exactly how old the earth is. I find it even funnier that anyone cares how old the earth is. It is no wonder so many shake their heads about the crazy Christians. I am shaking my head myself. crazy

SSSHHHHH, Scott! Don't distract them with the OP, it might confuse them! You know how pissy some of them get when side-tracked!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
laugh laugh laugh

You are right. I sure would not like one of them to take away my salvation. Happened once before here.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Scott F
laugh laugh laugh

You are right. I sure would not like one of them to take away my salvation. Happened once before here.

WOW! How'd you get it back?

Ed

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

202 members (257 mag, 37L1, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 21 invisible), 1,645 guests, and 875 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,620
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.