Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
jcolby Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I am fairly new to traditional archery, 3 years or so. I still have my original shooting glove, the brand is Neet. Nothing wrong with it I suppose, just thought I would get some opinions on what others like that have tried several over the years.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Jared
GB1

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Have you tried shooting with a tab? Do you shoot split finger or three under?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The best is what works for you. Could be a glove and any number of options, a tab, or bare fingers.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
My opinion is just that, my opinion. I was taught to shoot with a tab and have ever since, making my own for most of that time.
Have tried a glove of course, but found it hard to feel my anchor and had trouble with it hanging on the string.

I shoot Indoor 300 some, Field archery, and 3-D as well as hunting. The tab is just a lot more consistent on targets and game animals are targets too, more important to me in fact.

Have started using tabs made and sold by others lately with good results.

I just asked to see if you had given them a try. Like gloves they need to fit right and almost always need trimming to your fingers and shooting style.

jcolby Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Glynn
Have you tried shooting with a tab? Do you shoot split finger or three under?

I have not tried shooting a tab before. I shoot split finger. I like the idea of the glove for traditional purposes but I might try a tab for functionality purposes. Thanks.

Jared
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Back in Kansas City a lot of us shot two finger tabs and let the top finger float.

I still do that even when I switch to a glove.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've shot tab and glove, and I prefer the Damascus glove. I don't know that it shoots better than a lot of others, but wears more like a regular glove when you're doing stuff like climbing a tree.

http://www.amazon.com/Damascus-DWC-...=8-1&keywords=damascus+archery+glove

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't run a lot of weight, 56 IIRC, but when I could still shoot, I ended up preferring straight up fingers, callous and all.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I greatly prefer a Cordovan leather tab. I get a lot smoother release and have my fingers free and nimble to use.I don't worry about the trad police.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love the neet gloves with calf hair. Whoop Whoop!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been using this "palm" tab for awhile and LOVE IT!!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I can spin it to the back of my hand while pulling arrows or
climbing trees smile

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Try a Bateman Cordovan. The kind with the strap on the back for your finger.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I greatly prefer a Cordovan leather tab. I get a lot smoother release and have my fingers free and nimble to use.I don't worry about the trad police.

+1
Just for shooting, a glove is ok but I also get a smoother release with a tab.

Plus I find it's easier to adapt to changing weather with thin to heavy gloves if shooting a tab.

And my biggest peeve is most gloves have velcro straps and I can't stand velcro for any hunting accessory that might be removed or adjusted in the field.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've tried tabs but keep going back to a glove. As others have said, a tab will give you a cleaner release than a glove, but I just haven't been able to get used to the tab. Gloves can wear a groove in the leather from the string that can hang up trying to let the string slip off your fingers. Years ago, my favorite glove had nylon strips laminated between two layers of leather to help this, but I lost the darn thing and they don't make it anymore. I'm currently using a "Big-Shot" glove which has the inserts and uses nylon webbing against the string which gives a pretty clean release. This may be the best glove I've tried but haven't used it enough to say for sure:

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Big-Shot+Elk+Archery+Shooting+Glove_i6500X_baseitem.html

I see you can get it with all leather fingers now which wasn't available when I bought mine:

http://www.3riversarchery.com/big+shot+crossover+glove_i6518X_baseitem.html

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A no pinch tab here...the ones with a plastic spacer to alleviate finger pinch.

Gloves suck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rod Jenkins Signature Tabs are the best I have ever tried. Expensive at $30 each but they last forever.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
JColby, I use the damascus glove and sometimes a tab. The damascus it thin but protects the finger tips. I don't know what part of KS you are in but I would be willing to send you a damascus glove and let you try it. I have several new XL gloves. If you don't think you can wear a XL I can get other sizes. If you like it, keep it and send me $15. That is what they cost me. If not, send it back. I hunt a lot for turkeys and whitetail around Raymond and south of Great Bend with my traditional gear. Mostly osage selfbows but sometimes my glass longbows.
Mike

You don't quit playing because you get old, you get old because you quit playing!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
A no pinch tab here...the ones with a plastic spacer to alleviate finger pinch.

Gloves suck.

I have a 1/2 dozen gloves but still prefer the no pinch tab

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I started back into trad I shot a Superglove. Tried different tabs since and have settled on the Fred Eichler tab from 3 Rivers. Slippery and just thick enough. 2nd choice was the Bateman then the Black Widow's.

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

188 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 35WhelenNut, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 2ndwind, 26 invisible), 2,917 guests, and 960 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,643
Posts18,533,642
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.