-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
7.8mm...J-bore gun that will shoot .321 bullets well. Since factory ammo isn't a factor I'd shoot 170gr 32SPL bullets. It's a light little gun, and the 170s should be about right.

Green with envy here... cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Under the barrel below the number "60" on the barrel, there is the number 232. Does this mean 2nd month 1932? I'm having a dickens of a time finding info on this little beauty. Have you ever seen dove tail scope mounts such as this ? They measure 7/16" across the top.I have no idea and have never seen mounts of this type. Thanks to anyone who can help.

If you don't like Robert E. Lee, you won't like it on this ranch. JGM
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by oldgunsmith
Have you ever seen dove tail scope mounts such as this ? They measure 7/16" across the top.I have no idea and have never seen mounts of this type. Thanks to anyone who can help.

7/16" is very close to 11mm. You could try 11mm ringmounts, such as are made for CZ rimfires (among others). Assuming the "claws" fit, with that stop at the front of the front mount they should stay in place quite nicely. FWIW I use such mounts (steel ones, with little levers to allow them to clamp and release by hand) on a 9.3x74R without a problem.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
SWEET. Here's a little item, an 11mm to Weaver adaptor. It allows you to use any Weaver style ring set on an 11mm dovetail, it just might work for you and could easily be widened with a knife edged file without having to worry about ruining a set of rings. $11. at amazon. I've used them on two combo guns and they work fine with a good clamping set of rings.

http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Dovetail-...&keywords=utg+11mm-to-weaver+adapter

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2B8ybgwxBL._SL1000_.jpg

Last edited by erich; 03/25/15.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had an Otto Geyger double in 8x60r and really liked shooting it. I used an RCBS die set to form brass from 9.3x74r. Had no trouble forming brass. It was a very accurate gun and I was favorably impressed with the 8x60r cartridge. Never had a factory load for it.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
erich--- will be ordering a set of those blocks, the price is right and looks like they will work out just fine, without altering the rifle. Thats nice !!

Really do appreciate all of you guys sharing what you know with me. One of you even sent me loading data. Many thanks !! I am really enjoying having something new to learn about, and good to have people like ya'll that know good things !! :):)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by oldgunsmith
Under the barrel below the number "60" on the barrel, there is the number 232. Does this mean 2nd month 1932? I'm having a dickens of a time finding info on this little beauty. Have you ever seen dove tail scope mounts such as this ? They measure 7/16" across the top.I have no idea and have never seen mounts of this type. Thanks to anyone who can help.

It could be the proof date, February 1932. I believe it shot a 186gr bullet.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
thanks !! I can accept that :):)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by zimhunter
I had an Otto Geyger double in 8x60r and really liked shooting it. I used an RCBS die set to form brass from 9.3x74r. Had no trouble forming brass. It was a very accurate gun and I was favorably impressed with the 8x60r cartridge. Never had a factory load for it.

The Otto Geyger guns were superior firearms in every respect. You were fortunate. wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
" I still don't know what to call it smile smile smile smile "

These are called a Kipplauf.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I know what to call it. Lovely
Nice find Gunsmith, keep us posted on how it shoots.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
" I still don't know what to call it "

...Or Kipplaufbusche (tip barrel rifle) some call them "Stalking rifles"

Nonte says to form from 9.3X74R or 7x65R brenneke. .318 bullets Says there's a 8x60RS also using heavy .323 bullets called "magnum Bombe"

Greg

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
http://classicsportingguns.com/
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks all of you guys for the much needed help--- from info and articles all the way to some brass to play with !!! Have new brass on order -- some Weaver dovetail adapters and a couple of reamers. Trimmed the 7 x 65R's and fire formed them yesterday, with 135gr G/C lead bullets. The target was only 40yds. The rifle will do much better, but my 73yr old eyes won't !!! Cast up some today... 180gr and 210gr. So thanks to all here, I am well on my way.

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
That is a lovely single shot with just the level of finish I like; attractive, but you can take it hunting and not worry about some little ding wrecking the value.

I spent part of a summer in Bosnia back when it was still Titoland. The Muslim farmers around where I was HATED wild boars and encouraged me to shoot all I could. One way they encouraged me was letting me pick my favorite from one of their arms stashes. Being unfamiliar with Brens, Stens, PPSHs, and suchlike, I chose a "sporterized" G33-40 that had been rechambered to 8x60 for some reason (probably a rusty throat? They told me it was a WWII "battlefield pickup").

They had only two kinds of ammo for it, fireformed 8x57 reloaded with God-knows-what under a full-patch machine gun bullet (German heavy ball). And 19 German postwar RWS factory 8x60 Magnum Bombe rounds, somewhere over 200(212?) grain H-Mantel softpoints.

I killed 13 boars with those, before reverting to a 16 guage double with Brennecke slugs. A half-Croat half-Serb cop took the carcasses to town and sold them to a butcher. And kept his mouth shut about me.... The Communist "informal economy" at work.

8x60, rimmmed or rimless, is a big, big game round.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Probably rechambered to that cal. because for awhile, it was illegal in Germany (& maybe elsewhere) to own a rifle in a military caliber. Though many did and defied the law. I think that was the inspiration for the 8x60.

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You may well be right, but this was in the 1970s and it seemed to me that just about every Yugoslav over the age of 40 had an 8x57 Mauser of some kind or another. Now whether they actually "owned" them is another matter, and something I never figured out. Younger guys had younger guns, which I think the regime "owned."

Basically there were guns all over the place; just about any small arm made between that time and the turn of the 19th century--Austrian, German, British, French, Yugoslav, Greek, Russian, and especially Italian. I even saw a couple of M-1 carbines.

LOTS of shotguns, mainly used for hunting. I think most of them WERE actually privately owned. Seemed like I was the only guy who ever even thought of using a rifle for boars. To the natives, rifles were for people....

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The few 8x60 rifles I've seen were S bores. But apparently some chambered for it because they liked the caliber or happened to have a reamer for it. (other than just re-chambering) I had a Husqvarna, 98 type in 8x60 that was a fine rifle and barreled to that caliber originally. I rebarreled it later to something else.

Greg
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 16penny, 71 invisible), 3,295 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,483
Posts18,471,815
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.