-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First thing that need to be done with Salton Sea is to stop Mexico from using it as a septic tank

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
That part has already been solved, but also makes the Salton Sea problem worse. Mexico has been building a couple water treatment plants, but also plans to use the output which reduces the inflow into the Salton Sea. But even that and the flow of salts and pesticide from farming in the area isn't of levels to worry about. Its the lack of inflow that's the problem.

Phil

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
And yet Arrowhead bottles their precious resource and ships it out of state.

Too Funny...

So, in support I have changed my bottled water consumption to Arrowhead to help drain Kalifornia sixteen ounces at a time.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Arrowhead hasn't even had permits to be working/pumping water up there in years from what I've heard!

But "EVERY THING" done in California is for export!

Phil

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thats OK, the folks pumping the water probably dont have permits either.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ah water problem in CA, who would have thought it?

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
For those of you that just don't get it...

This drought is not just about California!

Link

Phil

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
No. You're right about that part. They're just the ones doing the least about it.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
How do you figure, there has been hundreds of millions of dollars spent in the last couple of decades building to capture and store not to mention to replenish the drain on the aquifers.

And the fact is no amount of building new storage is going to have any effect on the drought, and the more you build the more you destroy the echo system.

The problem is too much farm irrigation, crops that require too much water, and growing for export.

Phil

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
But, What about keeping the Golf Courses green?

Kevin
NRA Lifetime Member
Retired, Fulltime RV'er
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
On storage, I agree. On crops, I agree. But, desalination has to get off the ground there, and fast. KA is way behind the curve.

Without that, the golf courses will stay green.. for a little while.

Let's "lead them to water", so to speak. One of the smallest countries in the world..

http://www.technologyreview.com/featuredstory/534996/megascale-desalination/

Another small country has one of the largest desalination plants.. Aruba.

The technology is there.. might have to infringe on one or 3 of those coastal Kalifornia golf courses, God Forbid. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
San Diego has built one of if not the largest seawater desalination plants in the western hemisphere, which I believe should be going on line pretty soon, next year at the latest. Projects are not built or funded in just a year or two... and in fact California is leading in the technology field, has 17 desalination plants in various stages more to come.

The San Diego plant should come in at 1 Billion to build, not including operation, to produce 50,000,000 gals or 190,000 cu. meters.

And desalination, like with nuclear energy you have bi-product that must be dealt with.

But here's an idea placing an excise tax on all farm grown products shipped outside California to pay for the desalination plants.

Phil

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
All I can say was the best decision we ever made was to leave the Bay Area for Texas 18 years ago. I visited my college town, SLO, a year ago and it was Mars compared to when I arrived for college in 1980. I still have primers I bought on the equivalent of Main St back then. Sickening. Been bounced around to 10 places since but have landed back in Texas retired. [bleep] the place.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Greyghost

But here's an idea placing an excise tax on all farm grown products shipped outside California to pay for the desalination plants.

Another tax? Thats why so many businesses and income producing folks are fleeing that sinking ship.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Greyhost being a farmer I'm obviously biased, but I believe mans very excistace is bad for the Eco system and not just the farming part of it. I think if you compare CA population growth compared to ag growth you'd see urban development has far outpaced it. LA used to be citrus orchards now it's a cesspool of a city never to have a Eco system again. Now if it were ag land and it was let go it would go back to nature in a short time.

I see prime foothill habitat get developed never to be wild again, and I see ag land fallowed waiting for the next abundantly wet year and within months the ag land has ducks,pheasants,coyotes,snakes and all kinds of wild stuff.

CA needs something for its economy and given a choice I bet you can guess what I'd chose even if I didn't make my living doing it.

Last edited by Farming; 04/18/15.
E
edk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
They have taxed many businesses out of state.Now he wants to tax other states people. Give the taxes a break dude.They are not always the answer. ED K

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
Originally Posted by Greyghost

Another tax? Thats why so many businesses and income producing folks are fleeing that sinking ship.

Agriculture uses 80% of the water used in California. Much of it subsidized in the central and imperial valleys.

Who then should pay for increased water supply supply in the state?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Farming
Greyhost being a farmer I'm obviously biased, but I believe mans very excistace is bad for the Eco system and not just the farming part of it. I think if you compare CA population growth compared to ag growth you'd see urban development has far outpaced it. LA used to be citrus orchards now it's a cesspool of a city never to have a Eco system again. Now if it were ag land and it was let go it would go back to nature in a short time.

I see prime foothill habitat get developed never to be wild again, and I see ag land fallowed waiting for the next abundantly wet year and within months the ag land has ducks,pheasants,coyotes,snakes and all kinds of wild stuff.

CA needs something for its economy and given a choice I bet you can guess what I'd chose even if I didn't make my living doing it.

GMAB.. Gowing table grapes and lettuce in a desert is as ridiculous as green lawns and swimming pools in the San Fernando valley.

Has anyone read Cadillac Desert yet? Or do they just get their info from the couch sitter's forum?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
No doubt the loss and efficiency of moving water to the desert is hard to justify and I'm not here to say whether its write wrong or smart. A lot of ca water issues are because man gets lulled to sleep in extended times of wet weather then the dry period cycles and [bleep] hit the fan.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Next time you eat a burger you better have it without lettuce or tomatoes. Ed

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

182 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 33 invisible), 2,242 guests, and 1,049 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,704
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.