Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Hello Fellow Gun lovers! I managed to find a nice Savage 99 in 30-30 Winchester at a local gun show. The rifle appears to be in very good condition for being around 78 years old!

I added a nice Machined Leupold scope base, so I dont have to drill and tap the reciever for the Weaver bases.
The bore seems almost new!

Hope you like the pictures:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[img]http://i1287.photobucket.com/a...le%20Uploads/image_zpsaeolvb5p.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a629/darcytyndall1/image_zps8b5to83p.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a629/darcytyndall1/image_zpsp8obmhlb.jpg[/img]
This rifle has a hinged butt plate that appears to give some storage room (for a cleaning rod maybe)? I have never seen a savage 99 option like this.

I will have to wait till I get back home from work in a couple of weeks to post more pictures of the removed butt plate and fore stock, to confirm if they match the action's serial number.
Who could help me obtain more history on this rifle?

I would love to learn more about my 99's history! This will be a fun gun to shoot jacketed and cast bullets!

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Where did you get that scope mount? Looks kinda familiar confused

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Welcome to the Campfire Darcy. Always good to see another Canadian.

Nice find that 30-30. If you are really interested you can get your rifle lettered- the information is posted in a thread above marked Misc Info.

I'm curious, how'd you come upon the idea for that scope mount? [Lightfoot has faster feet and fingers] wink

Last edited by olgrouser; 04/16/15.

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by olgrouser
Welcome to the Campfire Darcy. Always good to see another Canadian.

Nice find that 30-30. If you are really interested you can get your rifle lettered- the information is posted in a thread above marked Misc Info.

I'm curious, how'd you come upon the idea for that scope mount? [Lightfoot has faster feet and fingers] wink

LOL! Thank you for the greetings!

I managed to get the mount at another vendors display at the show. He sure seemed knowledgeable about the 99's! It was simply good fortune, twice, in one day!

I "believe" He mentioned Lightfoots name. I am soooo bad with names! LOL!

The mount is a Very well made/finished product I have to say!

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I got a chance to shoot a couple groups the other day. It took me 3 rounds to get the rifle Vectored on paper at 25, then Printed this 3 shot group at 100 yards:

[Linked Image]

I managed to shoot a 1", and 1.25" group with the other load tests. Looks very promising!

I applied a nice coat of boiled linseed oil to the stocks, and hand rubbed it in. I Got the stock good and warm from the friction and the oil nicely absorbed into the wood. The grain just popped out! They are such a nicely figured rifle!

This is the old girl with an Bushnell 3-9x40 Scopechief from the mid eighties. I will eventually get a 2-7 range scope after load development.
[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
welcome to the fire Darcy,glad its working for you nice groop.

the trap door is not original to the gun but aftermarket ,ser no is wrong on butt and plate ,and the butt plate has been trimmed down a little to fit the butt stock , I had checked that all out when i first saw the gun fri night and sat morning .

big thing is you got a great shooter , good scope setup and a great attitude. enjoy the gun and when you want to buy another call me grin

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Thankyou Norm! I will definitely keep your number handy! Thanks for the insight and information!

I can hardly wait to try some more test loads! I have a bunch of loads waiting for me to get home! Lots to look forward too!

Last edited by Darcy; 04/16/15. Reason: Spelling
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Checkered 99EG's in 30-30 aren't common. Should be a great hunting rifle, definitely a great choice of scope mount.

Welcome to the Campfire!

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Welcome to Savage-land!

...and another one swallows the hook. wink

Dave

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Very cool. Congrats on the find.

Walk slow, get down, hurry up and be quiet.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Someone put a lot of work into modifying that buttplate.

I'm guessing this is the same one you were asking me about huh Norm? How many trapdoor 99's are out there.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd suggest keeping some hundred dollar bills rolled up in that buttplate for the chance to buy your next 99.

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would like to talk more about that buttplate. What do we really know about them? I have one on a high end special order gun. Wondering if anyone has ever seen one called out on a letter. Workmanship on the one I have is excellent. I believe there is a work order number but no specific reference to the buttplate. I will try to look up the letter today to confirm.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Does anyone know the twist rate of the savage 99EG 30-30 barrels?
I am guessing around 1:12".

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In the 1899's it was 1:10".

[Linked Image]

Not sure they ever would have changed it, but maybe best to check your rifle.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cdoCNZBlRGQ[/video]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
This is very interesting! Someone must have invested some hard earned money back then! Options like this seem frivilous for that time period. I feel lucky to have the chance to continue using a well cared for piece of firearm history!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cmhjohn
I would like to talk more about that buttplate. What do we really know about them? I have one on a high end special order gun. Wondering if anyone has ever seen one called out on a letter. Workmanship on the one I have is excellent. I believe there is a work order number but no specific reference to the buttplate. I will try to look up the letter today to confirm.

one of the machinist here will tell you how it can be cut so precise,[plasma, lazer??] ,it was nicely done and as you can see fits snug, spring is inletted into the stock with a metal sleeve touching a tab on the top inside of the door, guy selling it said there was a few rounds of ammo inside.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WOW!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
It wouldn't be that hard, just laborious. It would involve milling the oval hole and filing the hinge cutout and then cutting the door out of a sacrificial butt plate with the same striation pattern. The real work comes in when engineering and fabbing the hinge and spring system.

But the real problem would be milling the lip into which the door lands when closed, due to the curvature of the surface. I suppose a better machinist than me (LBK?) could see a simple solution to that problem. (It is what deterred me from making a hinged butt trap in a Niedner-style plate after a buddy gifted me a beautiful cast lid for the project.)

Looking at the less than perfect pic of this butt trap, the workmanship of the hinge system doesn't look like Savage factory quality (especially since it wasn't a production item and would have been done in the tool/experimental shop), but the lid/opening itself looks very well executed.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
"But the real problem would be milling the lip into which the door lands when closed..."

It looks to just close against the wood stock...no lip. Or did I misunderstand the statement?

Last edited by Rick99; 04/17/15.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (16penny, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 57 invisible), 2,432 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,524
Posts18,472,626
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.