Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
tcp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I post this here as there have been several threads looking for an original or a replacement in the last few months.

Other than cosmetics, does the hood add function or advantage? I have removed the hood on every gun I have owned based on my having experienced the hood and front sight filling with snow and being a pain to clean out. This is from falling snow while still hunting, NOT being stuck in a snowbank, btw.

Just curious if there is some great advantage to the sight hood, other than originality, that is inapparent to me. Thanks

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
It is my experience that when using open sights the front sight hood will help eliminate glare and also enable the shooter to better focus on the front sight. It also protects the front sight from damage and most importantly, it looks better....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
tcp, snow definitely isn't a problem where I live so I don't have that experience. But given that just the simple act of leaning a gun up in the corner of a room and having it slip down or from side to side can seriously compromise the front sight, the hood provides cheap protection that as PJ said, looks good to boot.
John

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I just like them because they look good... laugh cool

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The hood has a very definite shooting advantage over un-hooded sight. Like you, I removed and often gave away my sight hoods. No more. Protecting the fragile front sight is a big bonus but is not the only reason for a hood. Accurate shooting is another plus. When sighting as well as hunting an un-hooded front sight, the sun can glint off the bead. Unless the sun is directly over head when sighting, the sun will shine off one side or the other. Your eye will automatically push the rear sight to the side the sun is shining on. Then when the sun is shining on the other side you will move your focus to the other side. In summary between morning and evening the point of impact can change by several inches at a hundred yards.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
BSA I think that hood needs a rifle to go with it don't you:)

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
This song reminds me of some of the Model 70 crew here. Substitute Model 70 for guitar.

Remember to remember, "just who is playing who." wink

Last edited by battue; 04/17/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've been played hard lately smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by battue
This song reminds me of some of the Model 70 crew here. Substitute Model 70 for guitar.

Remember to remember, "just who is playing who." wink

I love that and you got it right!!! cool ..I've strummed a few model 70 bolts in my life time... whistle. Awesome song battue...

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have noticed some are flat on the front , some are "curved" on both ends , is there a date range that applies to each type?

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Those that are straight/flat on one end are not original hoods....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The one I posted a picture of is original. They ones that are flat on one end are not original like Pocono stated..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks ,I appreciate the lesson.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
As far as how useful the hood is, one thing no one has mentioned yet is that it can block light in low light conditions.

I like the looks of the hood. It is almost iconic for a M70 to have one. But if I was going to use iron sights, the front would be entirely different than what they come with.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Love the looks.

Hate trying to shoot with one on. It seems to block too much of the view.

In 62 years of hunting and shooting I have never damaged a front sight in the slightest, so I see no reason for one on a hunting gun.

Now.....the ones that hang on the wall to be admired? That's different. smile

The Tea Party Movement is pretty much the same as a bowel movement except that it smells worse and has far less in the way of intelligent content.
--DancesWithGuns
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
They are a part of the gun, it's how Winchester made them. If it's missing then the gun isn't whole. You wouldn't want it missing the butt plate would you?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Would I want it missing the butt plate? Depends.

If the recoil pad is an improvement over the butt plate--why not?

The Tea Party Movement is pretty much the same as a bowel movement except that it smells worse and has far less in the way of intelligent content.
--DancesWithGuns
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hoods....I am wishy washy for sure! I like original M70 hoods on my better 70's. I put the cheaper Galazan replacements on the others.

I have never damaged a front sight either and also prefer hoodless front sights in the woods.

Now all that said, I have hoods on all of my M70's!

Yeah I have them on there for looks.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Does anybody have any recomendations on Post 64 sight hoods? I have a Stainless Classic 375 H&H that I took on a hunt on Kodiak, When I got back to my house after the hunt was over I found that my sight hood had gotten smashed. I've been looking around for a new one to put on, but all the hoods I find say they're for pre-64. I'm not sure if that'll work on my gun or not. The sight hood it came with doesn't look like most of the pre 64 hoods I've seen.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (Anaconda, 308ld, 35, BamBam, AnthonyB, 8 invisible), 1,880 guests, and 816 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,740
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.