Print Thread
Hop To
#9781034 04/18/15
O
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
In all of my years of reloading I have never run into a issue like this. I load 56 grains of Retumbo in my 6.5-284 under a 140 gr Berger Hybrid, which is pretty middle of the road in this round. I ran out last week, this week I crack open a new 8 lb'er. I load 150 cases with my Redding powder dropper. When I start looking at the cases just to make sure they are all charged, they look like they are a little more full than normal.

So, I run several of them back to my electronic scale, 56 grains. So, I am good. I start seating bullets in my seating die, and I feel them a little harder to seat than they normally are and that the depths on the first stroke are not as consistent like they normally are. Anyway, I tweak the die enough to load 50 at my normal depth. I have been thinking about this all week, totally stumped why these cases were more full than normal, and the bullets being harder to seat.

So, I head to the range this morning with these. Now, I have pressure, sticky bolt lift. I come home, and check some of the other brass I have filled on my balance beam. 56 grains. To sum it up. I never messed with my Redding dispenser that was throwing 56 grains last week, never messed with my electronic scale, even re-calibrated it. Balance beam verifies 56 grains. The only thing that is different in this whole thing is this new jug of Retumbo. Anyone know what is going on??

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
first place I'd start is comparing the old Retumbo ya had with the new batch....

contact company and see if they changed formulation any...

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I guess it could have been mislabeled. One reason it is always advisable to restart load work up -20% with a fresh batch of powder

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Pull a few old rounds and weigh.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Saddlesore has it, new lot of powder needs worked up from start loads.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

IC B2

O
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
I dont have any old powder, and I dont have any rounds loaded with the old powder to pull the bullets on. I can wrap my head around the fact that maybe 56 grains of the new batch is hotter than 56 grains of the old batch. It's the volume thing that has got me stumped. Isn't 56 grains of Retumbo 56 grains of Retumbo volume wise? I guess it could be lighter and hotter?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by okierifleman
I dont have any old powder, and I dont have any rounds loaded with the old powder to pull the bullets on. I can wrap my head around the fact that maybe 56 grains of the new batch is hotter than 56 grains of the old batch. It's the volume thing that has got me stumped. Isn't 56 grains of Retumbo 56 grains of Retumbo volume wise? I guess it could be lighter and hotter?

The last batch of Retumbo you bought was probably made in Scotland. This one was probably made in Australia.....In addition Hodgdon's is now making their "Extreme" series of powders.....do you really think they can change the temperature sensitivity of a powder without additional effects?

Look what's happened to H4831....the new formulation appears to be faster then the old...then look at the differences of the SAME POWDER in the ADI vs Hodgdon's manual. Let's just say the difference is outside the traditional "3% variance" considered normal for commercial powders.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 04/18/15.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Back off a few grains and find the velocity you had with the old powder then party on.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

325 members (1lesfox, 160user, 10Glocks, 222ND, 10ring1, 12344mag, 24 invisible), 1,934 guests, and 1,108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,842
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.