Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Would be willing to bet he's using a Shooting Chrony. Have seen one of them jump 10% in velocity due to a change in the light.

The magic new velocities (which amount to maybe 100 fps) in the .243 with Enduron powders are most likely due to using more accurate piezo-electronic pressure-test equipment, rather than older copper-crusher equipment. If you look at Hodgdon's data on their website, it shows the pressure for the Enduron powder in PSI (electronic) rather than CUP (copper crusher. Hodgdon has not made any claims about higher velocity levels with the Endurons.

BS they use psi in half of their listed loads
And you think their testing equipment has improved, but nobody will ever improve powder?
That is funny/sad.
You are just sore that none of the improvement benefit long actions frown

Last edited by Slim1754; 04/20/15.

60 percent of the time, it works every time
GB1

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by NTG
If your load of CFE223 is at 48.9 and your getting those speeds then, I'd say you've got a real fast barrel...don't know what else to say. If it was me, I'd see if someone would let me run that load over their chrony, just to see what a different chrony would tell you.

Your varget load seems about right IMO, based on your 22" barrel, etc.

I would love to run it over another chrony. If I do, I will report back

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Slim1754
Apparently you don't have the iq to understand that velocity DOES NOT EQUAL pressure. It can be an indicator, but only when variables don't change.
PRESSURE OVER TIME minus whatever resistance the bullet encounters, blowby, etc. Determines velocity.

Not quite. The work done by an expanding gas is pressure as a function of volume, integrated over volume.

w = ∫p(v)dv

This can be parameterized using time t, but the pressure-time curve by itself doesn't tell the story.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
You are a prize.

I just looked at the Hodgdon 100-grain data for the .243 and the ONLY pressures in PSI are for the Enduron powders.

I know companies improve powder, because they send me samples all the time to test. BUT, as I stated already, Hodgdon isn't making at claims that the Enduron powders get any "extra" velocity than other powders. All the improvements are in other areas, such as temperature-resistance, a decoppering agent, and "green" ingredients, so they can sell them in Europe.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
slim' if the 120 TTSX blew up on your doe in 2012, why are you back again pimping the same load?

Edit: if pressure does not equal velocity, what pushes the bullet through the barrel, CFE 'pixie dust?

Last edited by RDW; 04/20/15.

Dave

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by RDW
slim' if the 120 TTSX blew up on your doe in 2012, why are you back again pimping the same load?

Edit: if pressure does not equal velocity, what pushes the bullet through the barrel, CFE 'pixie dust?

I get your drift, but it is quite possible for two loads producing the same velocity to have different peak pressures. Similarly it is quite possible for two loads having the same peak pressure to produce different velocities.

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Yes...some of that variation can be due to a different bearing surface length and/or metallurgy in the gilding metal...or whatever type of alloy the bullet is made of...

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
You are a prize.

I just looked at the Hodgdon 100-grain data for the .243 and the ONLY pressures in PSI are for the Enduron powders.

I know companies improve powder, because they send me samples all the time to test. BUT, as I stated already, Hodgdon isn't making at claims that the Enduron powders get any "extra" velocity than other powders. All the improvements are in other areas, such as temperature-resistance, a decoppering agent, and "green" ingredients, so they can sell them in Europe.

It matters not what they claim, that argument is laughable, the proof is right there in the data. Powder has been/is improving.

To your next nitpicking point, I was looking at the 85 grain tsx data where EVERY LISTED LOAD IS IN PSI

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Are you referring to my post?

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by mathman
Apparently you don't have the iq to understand that velocity DOES NOT EQUAL pressure. It can be an indicator, but only when variables don't change.
PRESSURE OVER TIME minus whatever resistance the bullet encounters, blowby, etc. Determines velocity.

Not quite. The work done by an expanding gas is pressure as a function of volume, integrated over volume.

w = ∫p(v)d
fine then, area under the curve, which I mentioned previously. if you get what I am saying, why bring calculus into it?
Thanks for trying to explain it to RDW though.

This can be parameterized using time t, but the pressure-time curve by itself doesn't tell the story.

IC B3

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
yes...sorry I don't know how that got crossed.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Slim,

That's because they switched to piezo equipment within the past few years, so started testing every new product (whether bullets or powder) in PSI.

They didn't run nearly as many powders with the 85 TSX as they have with older bullets, particularly in the slower burn-rate range where IMR4451 stands out. Check out their .243 data for the 90-grain Speer bullet: the velocities for 4451 lag behind such "new" powders as H4831 and H414/W760.

Have you ever actually done any work with pressure-testing equipment, whether strain gauge or piezo-electronic?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by NTG
yes...sorry I don't know how that got crossed.

OK. I wasn't addressing changes in component bullets. What I wrote is independent of that consideration.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by RDW

I'm not pimping anything. Just sharing what I have seen. Is that so hard to understand?
This ain't a bullet thread slick. The ttsx destroyed that doe's heart. All I said is that I was surprised it did not exit. Btw ttsx might lose petals, but they can't blow up. The thread is about velocity, so I think it's relavent.

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Sure, understood. I was sharing that to acknowledge that there's lots of factors that can change in the equation of velocity. I didn't explain that well.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

w = ∫p(v)d
fine then, area under the curve, which I mentioned previously. if you get what I am saying, why bring calculus into it?

Please put your comments outside of the quote box, or color them, so I can follow them better.

It's area under the curve all right, but you still haven't latched on to the fact you're talking about the wrong curve. Work done, and hence velocity, is through the area under the p-v curve, not the p-t curve.

Calculus was brought in precisely because that's how area under curves is described in other than simple situations.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Slim,

That's because they switched to piezo equipment within the past few years, so started testing every new product (whether bullets or powder) in PSI.

They didn't run nearly as many powders with the 85 TSX as they have with older bullets, particularly in the slower burn-rate range where IMR4451 stands out. Check out their .243 data for the 90-grain Speer bullet: the velocities for 4451 lag behind such "new" powders as H4831 and H414/W760.

Have you ever actually done any work with pressure-testing equipment, whether strain gauge or piezo-electronic?

[color:#FFFF66][/color] I have worked with strain guages in both destructive and non destructive testing, never in a pressure vessel application. I never said newer powders were better in every application. Are not we talking about the 7-08 and ttsx? How about Superformance, in some calibers, nothing touches it.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S

w = ∫p(v)d

Please put your comments outside of the quote box, or color them, so I can follow them better.

It's area under the curve all right, but you still haven't latched on to the fact you're talking about the wrong curve. Work done, and hence velocity, is through the area under the p-v curve, not the p-t curve.

Calculus was brought in precisely because that's how area under curves is described in other than simple situations.

Well, this is a simple situation where i was trying to keep an explanation simple. what am i missing? pressure times the area is force. simply put, the average force (however you want to arrive at that) exerted over the time the bullet is in the barrel will give velocity when bullet weight acceleration are figured. BTW The area under a curve with pressure in the y axis and time in the x-axis will give the work done on the bullet. what is it you think I am not latching on to? - how to open up my physics book and write some equations? Thanks for your "help"

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Well, this is a simple situation where i was trying to keep an explanation simple. what am i missing? pressure times the area is force. simply put, the average force (however you want to arrive at that) exerted over the time the bullet is in the barrel will give velocity when bullet weight acceleration are figured. BTW The area under a curve with pressure in the y axis and time in the x-axis will give the work done on the bullet. what is it you think I am not latching on to? - how to open up my physics book and write some equations? Thanks for your "help"

Not directly it won't. That's what you're not getting. The work done is area under a pressure-volume curve.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It'seems scary that you think magic powder makes a 7/08 into a 7mm RM.

Look at the velocities in the book for your load, and the quick load figures above.

Once again, either your chrony is jacked or you're about to blow yourself up.

Please realize chamber, brass, and throat can cause your rifle to reach pressure way before book max.

Reload for velocity not weight and capacity.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

319 members (160user, 219DW, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 12344mag, 27 invisible), 1,998 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,712
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.