Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by RDW
slim' if the 120 TTSX blew up on your doe in 2012, why are you back again pimping the same load?

Edit: if pressure does not equal velocity, what pushes the bullet through the barrel, CFE 'pixie dust?

I get your drift, but it is quite possible for two loads producing the same velocity to have different peak pressures. Similarly it is quite possible for two loads having the same peak pressure to produce different velocities.

mathman, that was not directed to you.

'slim, by default this is about bullets as one component of the subject.

You stated you may be a little over pressure at ~3350, I am guilty of pushing 61-63K psi close to 68K psi, I don't think I have hit over 70K but I damn sure have no intention of pushing it into the mid-80's.

A running start increases velocity, a slicker bullet increases velocity with more powder, higher peak pressure under a longer curve increases velocity; and, higher peak pressure can increase velocity.

I think all who have commented on the velocity you are achieving now and in the past, are showing concern, take it for what it's worth.

Dave

GB1

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by Slim1754
Well, this is a simple situation where i was trying to keep an explanation simple. what am i missing? pressure times the area is force. simply put, the average force (however you want to arrive at that) exerted over the time the bullet is in the barrel will give velocity when bullet weight acceleration are figured. BTW The area under a curve with pressure in the y axis and time in the x-axis will give the work done on the bullet. what is it you think I am not latching on to? - how to open up my physics book and write some equations? Thanks for your "help"

Not directly it won't. That's what you're not getting. The work done is area under a pressure-volume curve.

Bottom line, if you take a pressure time curve, and increase the area under it, all else being the same, THAT BULLET IS GOING FASTER. Shall I post a curve for you?

60 percent of the time, it works every time
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by RDW
Originally Posted by RDW
slim' if the 120 TTSX blew up on your doe in 2012, why are you back again pimping the same load?

Edit: if pressure does not equal velocity, what pushes the bullet through the barrel, CFE 'pixie dust?

I get your drift, but it is quite possible for two loads producing the same velocity to have different peak pressures. Similarly it is quite possible for two loads having the same peak pressure to produce different velocities.

mathman, that was not directed to you.

'slim, by default this is about bullets as one component of the subject.

You stated you may be a little over pressure at ~3350, I am guilty of pushing 61-63K psi close to 68K psi, I don't think I have hit over 70K but I damn sure have no intention of pushing it into the mid-80's.

A running start increases velocity, a slicker bullet increases velocity with more powder, higher peak pressure under a longer curve increases velocity; and, higher peak pressure can increase velocity.

I think all who have commented on the velocity you are achieving now and in the past, are showing concern, take it for what it's worth.

I truly appreciate genuine concern, it is just hard to see it through smart a## and condiscending comments (not directed at you). Lots of people are getting these numbers.
I just have a hard time seeing my pressures are that high with a load .6grain below max on an identical weight bullet.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Natural selection at work here, folks.

------------------------------

The APE

"But resist we much...we must...and we will much...about...that...be committed." - the "Reverend" Al Sharpton
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Slim,

SOME powders produce the highest velocities in SOME cartridges. While some of those are newer powders, some aren't--and so far there's always some other compromise being made.

"The" Superformance powder in various Hornady factory loads is actually several different blends of similar powders, each formulated to produce the most velocity in a specific cartridge, or even a certain cartridge/bullet combination. The Superformance sold to handloaders is the .30-06 blend, and yes, it does produce more velocity in certain specific instances. But that's been going on for a long time, with a lot of different powders.

If you check out loading data for various cartridges, there are always certain powders that produce the most velocity in certain combinations. IMR4350 is now 75 years old, and its still at or near the top for certain applications, despite being a single-base powder.

A few years ago Reloder 17 was supposed to be the new magic super-velocity powder. That lasted until Alliant published actual pressure-tested data. While RL-17 does do very well in specific instance, so do many other powders. In fact, it turned out that even some of Alliant's other powders beat RL-17.

One other interesting fact that can be learned from actual pressure testing, instead of the pressure guessing many handloaders (like you) depend on, is how often traditional "pressure signs" don't show up until 70,000 PSI or even 75,000 psi. And that's in temperature- and-humiditycontrolled laboratories, not out in the real world where it isn't always 70 degrees, and the bore may have some moisture inside.

That's exactly why SAAMI standards leave some wiggle room. They don't want some handloader running pressures up to the absolute max, and then when conditions change their "safe" load somehow isn't as safe as it seemed the day they worked it up.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by TheBlueMountainApe

Your post speaks to your character. How original. Neeeever heard that one on the forums before whistle

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Slim,

SOME powders produce the highest velocities in SOME cartridges. While some of those are newer powders, some aren't--and so far there's always some other compromise being made.

"The" Superformance powder in various Hornady factory loads is actually several different blends of similar powders, each formulated to produce the most velocity in a specific cartridge, or even a certain cartridge/bullet combination. The Superformance sold to handloaders is the .30-06 blend, and yes, it does produce more velocity in certain specific instances. But that's been going on for a long time, with a lot of different powders.

If you check out loading data for various cartridges, there are always certain powders that produce the most velocity in certain combinations. IMR4350 is now 75 years old, and its still at or near the top for certain applications, despite being a single-base powder.

A few years ago Reloder 17 was supposed to be the new magic super-velocity powder. That lasted until Alliant published actual pressure-tested data. While RL-17 does do very well in specific instance, so do many other powders. In fact, it turned out that even some of Alliant's other powders beat RL-17.

One other interesting fact that can be learned from actual pressure testing, instead of the pressure guessing many handloaders (like you) depend on, is how often traditional "pressure signs" don't show up until 70,000 PSI or even 75,000 psi. And that's in temperature- and-humiditycontrolled laboratories, not out in the real world where it isn't always 70 degrees, and the bore may have some moisture inside.

That's exactly why SAAMI standards leave some wiggle room. They don't want some handloader running pressures up to the absolute max, and then when conditions change their "safe" load somehow isn't as safe as it seemed the day they worked it up.

So you are saying you do not think powders have been and are improving?
By the way, what powder do you think is at the top velocity wise for that 90 grain Speer data you were talking about? Hybrid 100v introduced in 2012.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Slim,

I would love to see evidence of brass and primers not showing pressure until 75000 psi.
I am not being argumentative here, I would like to understand it. Either the pressure is enough to flatten a primer, or it isn't ( all else being equal) if that isn't the case, I would love to why.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
One place pressures can get high before brass starts to show signs is in a "balanced & blueprinted" action and chamber where everything is true, square, and minimum dimension.

One instance where this was apparent was when Layne Simpson used a Jarrett built rifle to develop 7mm STW loads for his article years ago. Pressure lab tests revealed how hot his stuff was when the cartridge was being subsequently standardized.

Last edited by mathman; 04/20/15.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Either the pressure is enough to flatten a primer, or it isn't ( all else being equal) if that isn't the case, I would love to why.

How much pressure does it take to flatten a primer, and are all primers equally resistant to deformation?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

You are just sore that none of the improvement benefit long actions frown

Really? Why is that?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

Your post speaks to your character. How original. Neeeever heard that one on the forums before whistle

Are you saying I'm a Darwinist?

------------------------------

The APE

"But resist we much...we must...and we will much...about...that...be committed." - the "Reverend" Al Sharpton
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S

Are you saying I'm a Darwinist?

You're The ape, you tell me wink

Last edited by Slim1754; 04/20/15.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH

You are just sore that none of the improvement benefit long actions frown

Really? Why is that?

someone said that I was trying to duplicate the performance of a bigger case. (Which I care nothing about, I just posted results I have seen and all of a sudden people are reading things in to it. If it wasn't you, then my mistake.)

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
Either the pressure is enough to flatten a primer, or it isn't ( all else being equal) if that isn't the case, I would love to why.

How much pressure does it take to flatten a primer, and are all primers equally resistant to deformation?

THAT would be good to know. I know that primer cups differ in thickness and have different properties. That is why I said "all else being equal." I also know that headspace plays a role in primer flattening. I have seen write ups correlating case head expansion to pressure, but I have never seen anything on primers in controlled conditions.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Slim,

As noted in my first post on powder, nothing is free. The tests in Hodgdon's data are shot inside temperature-controlled rooms at 70 degrees. Yes, Hybrid 100V is the "fastest" powder with 90-grain bullets (by exactly one fps over H4831), but H100V is also one of the less temperature-resistant powders I've ever tested. In a trial a few years ago with several powders and 165-grain bullets in the .30-06. H100V lost 176 fps between 70 degrees and zero Fahrenheit.

Since H4831 is one of Hodgdon's Extreme powders that are very cold-resistant, it doesn't normally lose any velocity between 70 and zero, which means that the "advantage" of oh-so-modern H100V would disappear with a drop of about half a degree in temperature. I've found this sort of temp-sensitivity to be common among newer powders designed to produce top velocities at 70 degrees.

The REAL advances in powders haven't been extra velocity as much as other characteristics, such as consistent velocities over a wide range of temperature.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
.... I have never seen anything on primers in controlled conditions.

That was my point. Absent that, it would seem that they're not very reliable indicators.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Seeing those results on a chronograph, and nothing "happens"( no outward signs of pressure) is what we get when a bunch of amateurs (us) gets turned loose with a bunch of powders full of promise and a chronograph, with a million variations in components and barrels,and some pet cartridge.

If you do this stuff often enough eventually we run into these velocity anomalies,there are no outward signs of pressure we can detect with our "guessing" techniques and we think everything is fine and some miracle powder gives these results.

Just as examples,similar situations I've walked away from include: 3200 fps from a 22" barrel 270 and a new lot of RL22; 3100 fps from a 150 gr in a 23" 30/06 barrel and H205;3300+fps from a 160 AB in a 7mm Mashburn and a load of Retumbo;one 7 Rem mag that gave close to 175 fps more velocity in one rifle than another with the same load of H4831.

There have been others but the point is that familiarity with the cartridges and lots of data told me those velocities were over the top,even though there were no outward signs of pressures to indicate I was over the top.Those are the kind of loads that will sneak up on you one day,or leave you in Montana on a hunt with a seized up action or worse. Bad practice.

Dunno know about anyone else but when I try to figure what a cartridge will do I don't look at the max velocity in a manual or what one person got without getting into trouble....too many variables and you have to leave yourself some wiggle room. Just because we see these velocities,even with manual loads,does not mean they are safe in our rifles.

It means we are redlined and a small step or slight variation away from bad stuff.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pushing a 120 TTSX another 200 FPS gets you 7" less drop, 2" less drift, and an additional 154 FPE at the 500 yard line.

Not even worth the [bleep] effort...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 16bore
Pushing a 120 TTSX another 200 FPS gets you 7" less drop, 2" less drift, and an additional 154 FPE at the 500 yard line.

Not even worth the [bleep] effort...

16 Sure.....advantage is small.

Point being it isn't worth chasing it in the little case just to show you can reach velocities with it that you won't see anywhere else credible.(pressure tested). You aren't breaking any new ground or proving a thing....just stuffing more powder in and it doesn't take any brains to do that.

If we want it,then we can have it.....just buy a bigger cartridge. smile

Of course this may require compromises like a longer or fatter case,a slightly heavier rifle, etc. Part of the game.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 99Ozarks, 673, 14 invisible), 1,457 guests, and 944 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,489
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.