-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't remember ever hearing about one of those A-Bolt Hornets that wasn't accurate.
They're hard to find though

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have had a couple of Savages older model, and a newer heavy barreled single shot, then a Ruger 77 and now a LH Browning. Going to keep this one.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by shrapnel
After I got it, I wondered why it took so many years to discover such a great little cartridge. Of course there are dozens of members here that would make claim of 300+ yards with the Hornet, but my experience is real and not fantasized...

14" factory barrel on my Contender dropped a mule deer at 240 yards. forty grain home swaged bulled took out the spine just in front of the shoulder and it dropped like a rock. I have taken sage rats and rock chucks with my CZ in K-hornet past three hundred. It is the little gun that can.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by willecoyote
Originally Posted by SShooterZ
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

Isn't that the way CRF is supposed to work?

I don't normally like maple stocks but that one really looks good with the deep blue finish. Nice find.

I don't know if that was design or design flaw. If I had the magazine in and dropped a round on top of the magazine, couldn't close the bolt. The rim wouldn't load under the lip of the bolt for lack of a better term. If I loaded it in the magazine, would load perfectly with the rim loading under the lip. Fast forward to the current 527 as seen above, either drop it on the magazine or load it in the magazine and it chambers perfectly. No "lip" issues. IDK, maybe I was doing something wrong.

That's what FG is talking about, the CZ is CRF, Mauser style action. They are designed for a round to be pushed up into the bolt and under the extractor from the mag. where it's held in place while closing the bolt. If you lay a loose round on top of the mag. the only way the bolt will close is forcing the extractor to snap over the rim which probably isn't going to be good for the extractor. I'm sure others can shine more light on this subject than I can, most of my rifles are Remington's and can be loaded as you described.

Yea that's what I was talking about,,, thanks for explaining it for me Wiley.
I've heard/read discussions about the extractor "snapping" over the rim as well as modifications to make it do so but the general consensus always seemed to end up being that CRF simply wasn't originally designed to work that way.
To tell you the truth, I don't know if mine will or not because I've never tried to single feed it. Or for that matter,, worried about it,, I just load the magazine.
I can sure agree that it's a PITA at the range but I hardly ever shoot mine there.

I load my CZ K-hornet way longer that the mg will take and always load it one at a time by just dropping them in and closing the bolt. Have been doing it that way for years.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The Hornet is one of those chamberings that has run consistently through my gun owning/buying/trading/selling life. Rare is the time I haven't been without one. My current Hornet is a German single shot stalking rifle in 5.6x35R (indistinguishable from the Hornet), and wouldn't trade it for anything. Future plans for satisfying my Hornet lust: a Martini Cadet that is going on the chopping block for conversion, and saving a couple Social Security checks with which to shop for either a M54 or M70 Hornet. A gunshop owner buddy who owns a M43 Hornet re-chambered to K-Hornet is weakening in his resolve to not sell it to me. I can tell. I hope.

I owned Savages 340 and 219, long ago. Shot well enough but rather plebian, and they didn't shoot that good so as to overcome that. I remember a Martini Hornet that had the prettiest piece of crotch-figure walnut on it that I ever saw. It didn't shoot as well as it looked, so away it went into the ether. The one I really should have my ass kicked for was a vintage Winchester LoWall rebuilt as a Hornet that I swapped for a Mannlicher-Schoenauer.

Another angle to recommend a Hornet is its adaptability to shooting low velocity cast bullet rounds. .22LR and/or .22RF Mag performance at a fraction of the cost. It would seem the Hornet was custom designed for that very thing. Oh wait. It was. Consider the lead bullet shooting .22 W.C.F. from which the Hornet evolved.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1234, 1lessdog, 67 invisible), 2,845 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,370
Posts18,469,135
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.