Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Woody,

I really wish we would go back to a uniform similar to those...maybe different material...but those look more like a military uniform versus a business suit.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not long after leaving jump school at Benning

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
1966 Lackland AFB Basic Training, 1966 Keesler AFB Computer School.....obligatory flight jacket and scarf photo. Was on exactly three military flights in four years. Two of them to and from Germany. smile

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Woody,

I really wish we would go back to a uniform similar to those...maybe different material...but those look more like a military uniform versus a business suit.

I certainly agree just haven't been able to warm up to the newer version since I see plenty around here living close to the AFB. Hardly wore the dress blues more than a few times even though I had two deployments in four years but 1505's was the travel uniform of choice since we all flew standby in those days..Not much need for dress when you spend 24 months in jungle fatigues and a hot flight suit. grin

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The USAF has a long history of dinking around with uniforms. As I mentioned earlier, I joined in June 1956. We were perhaps the first BT flight to be issued a mix of what was army cotton khaki with blue belt, hat, and silver colored insignia, and the new 505 light cotton summer uniforms. The 505s were an abomination, light basket weave cotton that looked like they had been slept in by 1000 hours. Worst was the pleated jungle jacket that comprised a Class A uniform. In certain combinations, the uniform of an E-1 Airman Basic had no military insignia whatsoever, just basic bus driver. You younger folks just visualize an airman in shorts with knee sox and a pleated jungle jacket. Mercifully, this combo was lost to history.

Better were the blues. The dress blouse was military and classy, and the blue Ike jacket, brought over from the army but blue, was a good looking and very functional piece of gear. Predictably, it was abandoned at some point. Also not regular issue, but authorized, was a dark blue wool shirt.

There was rumor that the 505s were designed by a group of generals' wives. It was also felt that the USAF of the 1950s wanted to adopt a more corporate look, sort of a military version of IBM. IMO, none of this contributed to morale and a general military bearing. It sucked.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A good friend of mine 11 yrs my senior went through AF boot in about '54 and said his first issued shoes were brown. Guess they spent hours removing the finish and were given black dye to comply with issue regs. crazy The uniforms of that day did peg the suck meter.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
A good friend of mine 11 yrs my senior went through AF boot in about '54 and said his first issued shoes were brown. Guess they spent hours removing the finish and were given black dye to comply with issue regs. crazy The uniforms of that day did peg the suck meter.

Guess it could have been worse. Can you imagine running around the flight line wearing... bell bottoms? grin

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
USAF BMT Sept. 1972 Lackland, AFB.

[Linked Image]

Oct. 1972.

Our paths may have crossed...

I went to Sheppard for Jet 1&2 maint.

Dave I went to Chanute for Jet over 2 maint.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Woody, you got it right.

1956 USAF Basic, Part II.

We were issued two pair of work shoes or boots. One pair was the smooth black leather brogans which we were required to spit shine. The other was a pair of army combat boots, rough raw brown leather with a two buckle flap on top, which we were also ordered to dye black and spit shine, after cutting off the flap with a razor blade!

Imagine if you can how many cans of Kiwi it took to put a shine on raw suede leather, but we did it. There was one flight that was also required to scrape and spit shine the soles. We heard that they wore out fairly quickly after basic training.

Actually the army boots were good, functional footwear. Very comfortable and wore a long time.

The odd uniforms didn't stop there. For fatigues we were issued mechanic's coveralls, but they were starched in an attempt to give them a semblance of military appearance. The instructors has theirs tailored.

The trainees' coveralls and brogans were topped with a jungle helmet. Probably functional protection from the Texas summer sun, but a goofier, unmilitary look for basic trainees is hard to imagine.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
When I went through basic I was issued 1505s, summer blues, and winter blues, and cotton fatigues. The newer light blue shirt and AF blue trousers were coming in and the 1505s were being phased out. In the 80's the AF issued wash and wear fatigues that were probably the best overall for work wear. When TDY you just pulled them out of the dryer, gave them a shake and hang them up. The camo BDU's were not aircraft maint. friendly. The bellows pockets caught and ripped when working in tight areas like wheel wells. Changing the Master Sergeant stripes pissed me off. I said "if I want to look like Slim Pickens in a western movie I would have joined the Army"!!!

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
In the 80's the AF issued wash and wear fatigues that were probably the best overall for work wear. When TDY you just pulled them out of the dryer, gave them a shake and hang them up.

Wish they'd done that sooner. I remember ironing fatigues using spray starch and then go crawling around airplanes.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Paul39,

Those double buckle army boots you were issued were the M1943 model!!!They were meant to replace the regular Army Garrison boot and the rough out M1942 boot. And to replace those ridiculous M1938 Leggings that were a disaster to lace up!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
To the topic of uniforms, just prior to my arrival at Ft Bragg in spring of '85, they had discovered a warehouse full of OG-107 jungle fatigues left over from Vietnam. There were enough "forgotten" uni's there to issue every member of the 82d and supporting units 2 pair, plus tons available off post.
They were great in summer compared to regular BDUs
Makes one wonder what other "forgotten" treasures our military has out there

1/504 PIR
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Uniforms? From the time I arrived at Ft. Jackson in '81, to the time I was discharged in '84, we went through 4 types of uniforms; We started with the Pickle Suits, then on to Camouflage Jungle Fatigues, then to OD Green Jungle Fatigues, and finally to BDU's. I was starting to wonder if I was in The Army or a Government Fashion Show.

Last edited by ebd10; 04/24/15.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. --H. L. Mencken

www.oregonfirearms.org
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Scott F
Company 371 out of Great Lakes in 68. My picture is long gone.

Had they transitioned out of wooden ships by then?

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. --H. L. Mencken

www.oregonfirearms.org
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My two daughters and I have been sitting admiring the views, and I am here to say every last one of you who posted a pic is MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW !!!! So say WE smile

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fort Sill July 29 1998 to 10 October 1998 then onto Fort Jackson for school graduated December 17 1998. Their are picture somewhere my wife has them in a box. Been in 17yrs I will retire 30 July 2018 and we are on our 4th uniform, BDU's, DCU's, ACU's and now MultiCam's.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I wanna see Evil Twin's "Southern Comfort" tank crew pic again!!!!!

grinAsk and ye shall receive grin

[Linked Image]

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Dang - only curdog and Scott F have me beat so far!
Don't know how to post pic's - but Leonard Wood 1973.

1st platoon , B company, 2nd battalion, 3rd Brigade. Fort Leonard Wood 1970.
Most commonly known as Fort Lost in the Woods, MO.
Still don't miss the snakes and crunch bugs.

Last edited by Swifty52; 04/25/15.

Swifty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Dang - only curdog and Scott F have me beat so far!
Don't know how to post pic's - but Leonard Wood 1973.

1st platoon , B company, 2nd battalion, 3rd Brigade Fort Leonard Wood 1970.
Most commonly known as Fort Lost in the Woods in the State of Misery.
Still don't miss the snakes and crunch bugs.

Fixt.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,415 guests, and 1,448 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,169
Posts18,484,568
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.