Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
forepaw Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Howdy 24 hr. CF handgunners,

I am curious as to experiences with CCW using small of the back and crossdraw, vs. strong-side hip. Both xdraw and small of the back feel natural to me, though I understand it allows you to sweep yourself with the muzzle, and also opens the possibility of someone taking your sidearm. I have no interest in shoulder-holster carry, that is flat spooky.

Thanks all.

forepaw

"Only accurate rifles (that are light enough to be carried by a middle-aged man in rough country) are interesting"
GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Forepaw,

I'm a big proponent of the cross draw for three reasons. While seated, either at a table, or in a vehicle, the weapon is accessible without having to go through any significant changes in one's posture to draw the weapon. No leaning forward, no twisting, etc. Also, a seatbelt does not present any problems either. Also, the gun is accessible with either hand.

As for presenting a weapon for someone to take away, this would only apply to someone standing in front of you, and after all, I'd rather be facing the man who tries to take my weapon.

I carried cross draw as a police officer when the department allowed us to decide. I had another cop call me stupid for it as he could easily take my gun. I told him to show me. When he tried, I left him with a badly bruised wrist from thrusting a kubaton into it. He as pissed when I asked him who was stupid now?

Finger off the trigger, don't disengage the safety until you are presenting on the target, and a cross draw is perfectly acceptable.

Last edited by Dan Chamberlain; 04/24/15.

It's a source of great pride to my family that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My stint with law enforcement was with crossdraws. we were trained how to stand with your left arm draped around the butt. No one was going to take your gun with out you knowing it. I have always liked crossdraw and SOB. Carry in both.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
My personal problem w/ both is the difficult in defending the gun from a grab by your opponent. I have spent many hours and have had the crap knocked out of me learning and teaching firearm retention.

For a police officer this is a life or death skillset. I now carry AIWB because: it is the easiest to defend, gives great access in all clothing, is the only position that allows me to draw w/ either hand.

About 90% of cops that lose their gun to an opponent get killed w/ their own gun, unacceptable.

Whatever method you choose practice in front of a mirror w/ all the clothing combos you might use and prove to yourself that it allows a perfect firing grip in all conditions. Practice is key.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
forepaw Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Useful good info, and much appreciated. The club I belong to is death on anything other than strong side, which I understand for safety with all classes of shooters, but in real life sometimes it is better to adapt to situation, clothing, etc. Also, not everyone is built the same, has the same range of motion, arm/shoulder/back dimensions, etc. so understanding the limitations and practicing should enable proficiency with these other carry options. Thanks again.

forepaw

"Only accurate rifles (that are light enough to be carried by a middle-aged man in rough country) are interesting"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
CD is fine with the right combination of gun & holster; SOB ain't much fun sitting in a car or most any other chair & I see no other real advantage to it over a good strong side carry setup.

YMMV

MM

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
SOB carry sucks while driving.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I dont like either small of the back or cross draw, strong side always felt fastest, and most secure.

Seated in an auto is the only disadvantage, that is what a 5 shot in an ankle holster as a backup gun is good for.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have carried crossdraw for over 40 years. I do not however use a standard OWB holster in front of the offside hip. My gun is tucked in behind the offside hip butt forward in an IWB holster.

In that position I can draw with either hand seated or standing...belted in a car or riding a motorcyle.

As to small of the back...never. A few years ago I was crossing an icy parking lot and as I reached for my keys the next thing I saw in front of my face were the toes of my boots...just before the small of my back hit the ground hard enough for me to see stars... If the gun had been there I have no doubt I would have sustained a pretty serious injury.

For holsters I have been using a simple Bianchi #6 IWB. Recently however, thanks to Mr. Chamberlain, I have purchased several REMORA holsters and they have been excellent. Just got the forth one today for 4" N-Frame revolvers...also works great with my little Freedom Arms 97.

Thanks again Dan...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Which Remora holster are you using?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
RJM

I use Remoras almost exclusively now, unless I'm wearing a belt holster for hunting. Everything from a Charter .38 to an Officer's size 1911 fit in the same holster. I think it's a number 8. Tuck it and forget it. It doesn't shift. You can stick it strong side, you can shift it to cross draw quickly if you want to, or you can slip it off completely and stick the gun into your car hideout. I have a metal locker chained to the seat frame.

It's a source of great pride to my family that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
John,

I have the two of the standard closed top model and the two of the reinforced tops.

1911 Commander-Closed top
2-3" small frame revolver closed top
2.5-4" Large Frame revolver reinforced top
4" Medium auto (Glock 19) reinforced top.

None have belt clips.

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
With SOB. Consider the possibility of a struggle and you being thrown to the ground on your back before you can pull your gun. Likely to have an extreme injury from your gun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
SOB carry sucks while driving.

Sucks even worse if you somehow find yourself landing on your back (not that such a thing would ever happen in a self-defense scenario, or due to weather conditions, or anything else).

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Deep down inside I wish every single SOB holster would spontaneously combust and just disappear. I have carried concealed with many methods based on the circumstances and have never found it was an answer to anything. Add in the fact it is a retention nightmare and damn hard to draw with if limited to support hand only and it becomes problem on many levels.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They both suck, but SOB sucks the most.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (1234, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 21, 62 invisible), 2,417 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,414
Posts18,470,481
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.