-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
How many combo gun shooters here work on regulating your hand loads to the iron sights?

I've found over the years that few do, who have scoped guns. They work up accurate ammo with various bullets and powders, but they actually have little or no knowledge as to whether it regulates to sights.

I try to accomplish both, much to my frustration often. Time on the bench is pretty laborious, given that these are one to three shot-then cool down guns.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I rarely use my drilling without its scope being fitted, even on running or flying game (the scope is a 1.5-6x), but I do like to know that it will shoot to the sights when I do. The load I am currently using is pretty much right on the button at 100 yards with the open sights, which by great good luck took only a very minor bit of load refinement.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
One of the great pleasures of owning drillings and combo guns is shooting them.
I try to find a factory load that shoots to the open sights(usually real easy). I then work up a handload that does the same. That is usually pretty easy. Then I try to find a slug load that will go to sights at a closer range. That can be more punishment than fun. Then I wander off trying to find a cast load that will shoot at close range to sights and a lighter weight bullet that will go to sights. Sometimes that is like trying to find a leprechaun. I do the same process with my bolt rifles.
I've had success on all in my 8x57/16 combo even with slugs and my 6.3x52/16 combo with the rifle barrel.
I've been shuffling my drilling collection around, and only have factory loads and a standard weight handload in one, factory in the other and one that just arrived that hasn't been to the range yet. I'm looking forward to a bunch of range time this summer with them.
My guns have pretty much shot the same with and without scopes, which is really nice. With double rifles this whole process can make you crazy. They often don't shoot the same load to regulation with the scope on an off.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My old drilling in 38-55/12 is very accurate with a 265gr lead G/C and Reloaders 7, there is no adjustment in the sights, so I have to use a load that will duplicate the loads used back in the day. I have to be very careful because I also load 38-55 for a Savage 1899, which is moving almost 1800fps !!! The drilling is about 1300fps. So, I use the old nickle plated 38-55's for the drilling and brass cases for the Savage. Been playing with different loads for years, and I never tire of it. I don't know how anybody can do without at least one combination gun :):):):)

To keep from bring the 8 x 60R back to the top, thought I'd post my latest target right here. Have been giving it a good workout. I shot on two separate days, the same target. The two shots that are high, are cold bore. Wanted to shoot a 10 shot group, but only had 9 loaded. The other 7 are a one hole group, measuring 3/8". I still know the rifle will do better, the scope I have on it now, is an old Weaver with a heavy post reticle 3X but wanting to upgrade when I can. Keep in mind this target is only 40yds. Thought you might want to see how it was doing. Missed a rattler about a week ago, but today she redeemed herself and took 2 limb rats!!!! 2 shots, 2 kills ... offhand at 35-40yds. I'm not mad at the squirrels, just trying to save a little of my corn for turkey and hogs. :):):)

BTW, the load I'm using is 180gr G/C and 26gr H4198. Its a light load, but still a little too heavy for the fuzz tails !!! I use 4198 behind most of my cast bullets, as it burns really clean.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by oldgunsmith; 04/27/15.

If you don't like Robert E. Lee, you won't like it on this ranch. JGM

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (1minute, 117LBS, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 3,089 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,966
Posts18,499,245
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.