Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

I got a nice old relaoding manual from BGunn by Phillip Sharpe. He discusses many pioneering concepts of relaoding here is one for Ultra Hi velocity...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think it was O'Connor who surmised that a BB moving some 12,000 fps would simulate the energy of a standard 180 grain 30-06 load. I don't recall that he thought it was necessarily possible at the time he whote those words however.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I have a buddy who wants to neck down an office waste paper can to take a needle....

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
I have a buddy who wants to neck down an office waste paper can to take a needle....

I hope someone is near with a camera when he touches that off. It would be like the monkey trying to put the cork back in from an old playground joke...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I read the Navy's rail gun only does 8,000fps.

[Linked Image]

Quando omni flunkus moritati
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The main gun on an M1 Abrams is 5,500 ft/s... Half way there..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A friend of mine gave me a tank round off of whatever tanks he was playing with on one of his reserve weekends. I think it is a 37mm, but I am no expert on tank ammo.

Its bullet is deeply relieved and made of some sort of Aluminum alloy. Probably pretty darned fast, I am guessing.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by las

I hope someone is near with a camera when he touches that off. It would be like the monkey trying to put the cork back in from an old playground joke...

I think he was joking, to make a statement... Well, maybe....

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I read somewhere that somewhere in the 5000fps range is the maximum that can be achieved with gun powder because thats as fast as the powder burns and the gas expands. Rail guns don't use powder but electricity IIRC.

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by GeoW
The main gun on an M1 Abrams is 5,500 ft/s... Half way there..

So - just neck that sucker down to a .30 cal TTSX....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
By God!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

2 shots from my 222 mag has a combined velocity of nearly 8,000 fps. No centerfire will outdo that...

Now imagine the possibilities !!!!!

X3 or 4 !!

Glad you like the book !! It's a fun read.
Check out the .357 Mag. pistol, it's TOO POWERFUL , and to dangerous to reload eek

We could always "Hollow-Point" that penny too!

[Linked Image]

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Small 2-stage light-gas guns can reach 10km/s, or 32810 ft/s. No typo, almost 33 thousand feet per second. I suspect the record is now a bit more.

I ran a larger one, 38mm bore, for much of my professional career. Fastest I remember shooting was about a 40 gram slug of plastic at about 5km/s, about 16000 ft/s. (a 40 gram slug of plastic isn't much in a 38mm bore.) 10000 ft/s was a virtual piece of cake.

Before you go to calling bs on me, google up 2-stage light-gas gun.

-Gun Doc

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by safariman
A friend of mine gave me a tank round off of whatever tanks he was playing with on one of his reserve weekends. I think it is a 37mm, but I am no expert on tank ammo.

Its bullet is deeply relieved and made of some sort of Aluminum alloy. Probably pretty darned fast, I am guessing.

The 37mm hasn't been used as a main armourment on American tanks since WW2 and even then it was obsolete..

Not sure what calibre of the penetrator is in todays 120mm tank shells, but they are made from something a little harder than aluminium alloy!

Last edited by Pete E; 04/28/15.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by safariman

The 37mm hasn't been used as a main armourment on American tanks since WW2 and even then it was obsolete..

Not sure what calibre of the penetrator is in todays 120mm tank shells, but they are made from something a little harder than aluminium alloy!

Depleted Uranium...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
Small 2-stage light-gas guns can reach 10km/s, or 32810 ft/s. No typo, almost 33 thousand feet per second. I suspect the record is now a bit more.

I ran a larger one, 38mm bore, for much of my professional career. Fastest I remember shooting was about a 40 gram slug of plastic at about 5km/s, about 16000 ft/s. (a 40 gram slug of plastic isn't much in a 38mm bore.) 10000 ft/s was a virtual piece of cake.

Before you go to calling bs on me, google up 2-stage light-gas gun.

-Gun Doc

Article I read said velocities from 5,000 fps to 33,000 fps... that thing has got some 'gitty-up'.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Depleted Uranium...

Which is a wee bit harder than aluminium alloy! wink

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Tungsten is also used. At those impact velocities hardness is fine, but density is more important. Both Tungsten and Uranium are quite dense.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The Ames Vertical Gun Range (AVGR) was designed to conduct scientific studies of lunar impact processes in support of the Apollo missions. In 1979, it was established as a National Facility, funded through the Planetary Geology and Geophysics Program. In 1995, increased scientific needs across various disciplines resulted in joint core funding by three different science programs at NASA Headquarters (Planetary Geology and Geophysics, Exobiology, and Solar System Origins). In addition, the AVGR provides programmatic support for various proposed and ongoing planetary missions (e.g. Stardust, Deep Impact).

Using its 0.30 cal light-gas gun and powder gun, the AVGR can launch projectiles to velocities ranging from 0.5 to nearly 7 km/sec. By varying the gun’s angle of elevation with respect to the target vacuum chamber, impact angles from 0° to 90° relative to the gravitational vector are possible. This unique feature is extremely important in the study of crater formation processes.

Many projectile types including spheres, cylinders, irregular shapes, and clusters of small particles can be launched. They can be metallic (aluminum, copper, iron), mineral (quartz, basalt), or glass (Pyrex, soda-lime). Soda-lime spheres, for example, can be launched individually (for sizes ranging from 1.5 to 6.4mm diameter - 1/16 to 1/4 inch), in groups of three (0.2 to 1.2mm), or as a cluster of many particles (2 to 200-?m).

The target chamber is approximately 2.5 meters in diameter and height and can accommodate a wide variety of targets and mounting fixtures. It can maintain vacuum levels below 0.03 torr, or can be back filled with various gases to simulate different planetary atmospheres. Impact events are typically recorded with high-speed video/film, or Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV). The Facility uses the same arsenal of light-gas and powder guns as the HFFAF to accelerate particles that range in size from 3.2mm to 25.4mm (1/8 to 1 inch) diameter to velocities ranging from 0.5 to 8.5 km/s (1,500 to 28,000 ft/s).

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (35, 308ld, 14idaho, 3dtestify, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 12 invisible), 1,860 guests, and 817 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,728
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.