Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have this one:

[Linked Image]

which you can't buy without a lock. So far, no problems with it. I may plug it, anyway.

When it comes to these:

[Linked Image]

I only buy ones without locks. The 5" 629 in the upper left has since gone down the road.

So basically I avoid MIM and locks as much as possible. It would have to be something unusually attractive and useful (like the Model 60 Pro above) before I tolerated these "improvements".

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 65BR
Does it keep you from buying a new one?

It has for me from day one. No interest despite the ability to inactivate it.

Yes. I actually went and BOUGHT a 6" new nickel plated 44 mag about six months ago. Always wanted one. Took it home and (the horror) I noticed the little hole. It went right back...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
S&W will never remove the lock. California is the largest gun market in the US and they can't sell them there without it. Lame as hell - if I wanted something that was only offered with a lock - I'd buy it, remove it, plug it, and be okay.

Fortunately the stuff I've wanted/have has all been old Smiths. We pay a substantial premium in CA for the old ones since "pre-lock" is seen as "better" in most peoples minds and it's difficult (not impossible) to bring in a revolver from out of state.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
No locks for me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No, I won't buy a S&W with a lock. S&W revolvers have priced themselves out of the market for me and caused me to buy Ruger Revolvers. I think Ruger revolvers are a good value.

IC B2

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good posts. Many echo my thoughts

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Ok- maybe I missed it but what is the deal with buying or not buying with a lock?
I am primarily a rifle shooter but I have S&W's revolvers both with and without the lock and have never had a problem with any of them. Admittedly I do not shoot a lot of pistol shooting but am just more curious what the issue is with the models with a lock. Is it a real problem or an imaginary one?

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by drover
Ok- maybe I missed it but what is the deal with buying or not buying with a lock?
I am primarily a rifle shooter but I have S&W's revolvers both with and without the lock and have never had a problem with any of them. Admittedly I do not shoot a lot of pistol shooting but am just more curious what the issue is with the models with a lock. Is it a real problem or an imaginary one?

drover

A mainly in the HEAD problem.Jerry Michalac seems to go just fine with the S&Ws with locks on them

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jerry doesn't quite count, as he's on the payroll.

Some are worried about functional problems which have apparently cropped up at times.

Others have philosophical issues and feel like S&W sold out to the anti-gun crowd by installing the locks. To me, that's like the guys who think the .325 WSM is disrespectful to veterans because it's an 8mm. But hey, it's a free country (kinda, sorta these days).

I've not had any trouble with mine as yet, and find it useful on occasion, so it's staying for now.

What fresh Hell is this?
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
There was nothing wrong with pre-lock models just like the new mods on a MKIII VS MK II Ruger 22 semi.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The magazine safety on the .22/45 is a pain, but the biggest nuisance is the need to hold down the slide release when dropping the slide on a loaded magazine.

Off topic, but another thing I've noticed with the .22/45 is that it's very fussy about the position of the top round in the magazine. I never had an issue with the standard Mk II Target model I used to have. This one cost me an easy shot at a turkey one fall.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Any way to remove the safeties on the 22-45?

I thought you could on the SW locks...

And you can on the Rem locks....get rid of all this crap....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As my .22/45 is a plinker/hunting pistol, I've never worried too much about it as it's really just an inconvenience. The safety lock is optional and unlikely to engage accidentally. The slide-lock issue is the one that causes the most grief, but I'm not going to tamper with it. I'd rather just get the regular MkIII, which I prefer anyway.

For $250 the .22/45 is pretty hard to beat, quirks and all.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't ever want another ruger... reason I was asking, the poly frames with light barrels and threaded for a can, can take a trigger kit easily...

I am not aware of another 22 pistol that allows all this, light enough to add a can too without big weight issues.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Huntz
Originally Posted by drover

drover

A mainly in the HEAD problem.Jerry Michalac seems to go just fine with the S&Ws with locks on them

Definitely an in-the-head problem with me. I just like the older models better.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Personally I have refused to buy ANY new S&W products since the sell out that occurred during the Clinton administration. That includes all handguns, rifles, shotguns and anything with the S&W logo on it.

I will purchase older firearms produced by S&W as long as NONE of my money goes to the anti-gun company who sold out all gun owners to an oppressive government.

My decision has nothing to do with the locks installed on newer models (although I don't like the locks and consider them to be another form of sell-out to the anti-gun movement).

I would likely not buy any S&W product that has a lock on it anyway. I do not purchase Ruger products with a lock either and avoid all products with unwanted added on safety features such as newer Winchester and Marlin rifles. I have traded for a few of these when the price was right, but traded them away as soon as possible.....so as to not contaminate my other guns in the gun room.

If God had intended for guns to have locks and added safeties.....he would have told Ruger, Henry, Browning and others to design them that way in the first place. Since none of those folks seemed to get that message from on high, I've got to assume even God doesn't approve of such "improvements".

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Preach it Brother! Preach it!

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I will not buy one with a lock. I wonder if they would improve their income stream if they left off the lock and told CA and others to GFY.
I assume Ruger revolvers are not sold in CA..

Last edited by bigwhoop; 05/17/15.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
I will not buy one with a lock. I wonder if they would improve their income stream if they left off the lock and told CA and others to GFY.

Bad assumption.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

Rugers are most certainly for sale here. Again, and unfortunately, CA is the 800 pound gorilla of gun purchasing.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 16 invisible), 1,561 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,716
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.