Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bling
Originally Posted by bea175
The only reason i don't use the 41 for deer is because they make the 44 .

What kind of Browning to you have?

You jus get te bigger caliber cuz you can ehhh? See your in va too. I'm
Not to awful from Montgomery county!

Browning silver nwtf 3.5" mag 12ga topped with a Burris fastfire speed bead.

My Va home is in Graysontown on the Little River that runs into the New River . I was hoping you would say it was a Browning HP 9MM you had for trade.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
GB1

B
Bling Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
The only reason i don't use the 41 for deer is because they make the 44 .

What kind of Browning to you have?

You jus get te bigger caliber cuz you can ehhh? See your in va too. I'm
Not to awful from Montgomery county!

Browning silver nwtf 3.5" mag 12ga topped with a Burris fastfire speed bead.

My Va home is in Graysontown on the Little River that runs into the New River . I was hoping you would say it was a Browning HP 9MM you had for trade.

If I had a hp 9 it'd not leave the box much less my home hahaha

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Already answered my next question. WAS going to ask how the scope held up to recoil. Would it help if a person got a gun with a muzzle break on it?

I had a hard time with a pistol scope because of the requirement of holding it just the right distance away from the eye in order to see through it. Your going to need a one point sling on your pistol so that it is keep at just the right distance away from your eye. I would get one of those red dots that are about the size of a thumb - Leupold delta point or Trijicon RMR.

Last edited by ConradCA; 05/10/15.

[Linked Image from ]
B
Bling Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by ConradCA
Already answered my next question. WAS going to ask how the scope held up to recoil. Would it help if a person got a gun with a muzzle break on it?

I had a hard time with a pistol scope because of the requirement of holding it just the right distance away from the eye in order to see through it. Your going to need a one point sling on your pistol so that it is keep at just the right distance away from your eye. I would get one of those red dots that are about the size of a thumb - Leupold delta point or Trijicon RMR.

Hey ok that's good advice there I thank ya. I wondered if there would be much change if you kinda canted ya head 1 way or other like a regular scope on a rifle but I guess so since it's still a scope

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
First let me say that I am biased towards the .44 mag. The .45 Colt and .41 mag, when properly loaded are excellent rounds, and could serve a person very well.

After a little bit of fiddling with big bores over the years, I prefer a 6.5" Model 29 (629 if you prefer stainless) for a dedicated hunting revolver.

The 4" guns are excellent for packing, though a bit tougher to shoot long range (for me). The added sight radius helps.

8&3/8ths" guns I have found to be just too unwieldy and I don't shoot them any more accurately than a 6.5" N frame.

The 5" guns are Goldilocks. Long enough to shoot well, short enough to be comfortable to pack all day in a proper holster.

If I was to only have one, I would choose a 5" N frame.

If I intended to acquire more than one N frame, a 6.5" gun for hunting, and a 4" or 5" gun for packing, and spend the rest on stockpiling components.

If you were interested in shooting a bunch of top end, heavy for caliber, hard cast rounds, I would look at a pair of Redhawks (not super Redhawks).

A 4" for general packing and a 7.5" for hunting. Those two would cover all your big bore needs as well.

That said, the beauty of the .44 is its versatility. You can load small game loads, mid range deer loads, and top end dinosaur stompers, all with the same cartridge.

Don't forget good leather. I recommend the 200 AW from Milt Sparks.

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B2

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
29N-2

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A Super Blackhawk (in Bisley or standard flavor) would be my suggestion. They can be had reasonably priced, and they tend to shoot well. For me at least single-actions point better than double-action revolvers and frankly a DA doesn't offer any real advantages hunting. That said, you can load the Ruger a lot hotter as well if the need/desire arises. JMHO.

[Linked Image]

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
B
Bling Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Very nice pieces fellas.

I've decided I like and will go for a smith 629 in stainless 44mag. Now I've noticed many have mentioned a lot of different loads. How do unknown really what's best. My cousin said he would hand load for me on the 44. So that's not a issue. Wish I could do it but I don't have the required space really.

If anyone has a fair deal interested in a top end gun pm me maybe we can work something out.

Again thank all of you for this help. I really do preciate it

B
Bling Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Sir why can you load a ruger hotter than a smith?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Much stronger gun. Loads that will shoot a Smith loose the Ruger will shrug off.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very nice pieces fellas.

I've decided I like and will go for a smith 629 in stainless 44mag. Now I've noticed many have mentioned a lot of different loads. How do unknown really what's best. My cousin said he would hand load for me on the 44. So that's not a issue. Wish I could do it but I don't have the required space really.

If anyone has a fair deal interested in a top end gun pm me maybe we can work something out.

Again thank all of you for this help. I really do preciate it

It doesn't get any better than the Keith 250 gr SWC , 20 gr of 2400, CCI 300 primers for big game hunting in the 44 magnum. PS . I load the same loads in my 629 Smith that i do in my Ruger Blackhawk's

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, but you can safely run the Ruger much harder. Not suggesting it is necessary, but if the OP decides at some point that he wants hunt game bigger than whitetail, and puts 300+ grain bullets on the menu, he will be better served -- granted, if he doesn't feed the Smith a steady diet of heavies, he shouldn't have any issues...... I personally like the bit of additional insurance. Again, JMHO.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Looking over a Texas used gun website last night, I found a bunch of both Rugers and S&W's in .44 mag. The Smiths were more expensive, with some Performance Center models having an asking price over $1,000. The Rugers were a lot more reasonable. Saw a Super Blackhawk with 10.5" barrel for $600, A stainless Bisley Hunter for $650, a "regular" Bisley for $550. Wish I could find an excuse for another one myself!

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

A single action does not have a swing out cylinder and will not shoot loose as soon as a double action revolver.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
for what it's worth, and there isn't much difference really between a 41 and a 44, i did finish off an elk a couple of years ago with a 41magnum using a 210grain gold dot, right behind the ear. It hit her so hard, it bulged her eyes out, and she was smoking out her nose. I was pretty impressed.
I also was fooling around a few months ago with some 310grain cast bullets in 44 magnum.
I fired into seven lined up gallon milk jugs, should have used more. It split the first three, pentrated all seven and kept on going. I am saving up jugs now, next time i try that i am going to line up about 15 of them.
I wouldn't have any hesitation about either the 45colt, 41magnum or 44magnum knocking a deer down. Assuming you can hit it.
My personal bias is towards the six inch versions. Easier to pack than the longer ones, and you get a little more velocity and sight radius than the four inch.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
for what it's worth, and there isn't much difference really between a 41 and a 44, i did finish off an elk a couple of years ago with a 41magnum using a 210grain gold dot, right behind the ear. It hit her so hard, it bulged her eyes out, and she was smoking out her nose. I was pretty impressed.
I also was fooling around a few months ago with some 310grain cast bullets in 44 magnum.
I fired into seven lined up gallon milk jugs, should have used more. It split the first three, pentrated all seven and kept on going. I am saving up jugs now, next time i try that i am going to line up about 15 of them.
I wouldn't have any hesitation about either the 45colt, 41magnum or 44magnum knocking a deer down. Assuming you can hit it.
My personal bias is towards the six inch versions. Easier to pack than the longer ones, and you get a little more velocity and sight radius than the four inch.

You will need 20 or more jugs if you intend to catch the bullet. I exited 9 gallon milk jugs full of water with a 255 grain hard cast out of a 45ACP at 960 fps.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Bling Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Now this thread is really getting good. I'm learning a lot. Makes sense the single vs double and shooting loose. Definitely get that. Is it for see me hunting more than whitetail as I've never got chance to hunt a mulie or a elk yet so when I do I'm going with my best chance at hand.

And yes I've noticed smiths sell Higher than the ruger last few days I've been looking myself. Reckon cause of the smith name? I can get guns at cost but is it worth buying new when can buy good used?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I found theres really no reason to exceed the power I get from the 10" S&W with the 44 mag load I mentioned using a Lee 310 grain bullet over 21 grains of H110.
it frequently exits deer and hogs from most angles and it has been just as effective pushed at about 1300fps from the 44 mag as 250 fps faster from a hotter handload in my larger 445 DWSM

YES THE ALLOY its cast from matters, use 95% WW and 5% pure tin this results in a bullet that expands slowly but exits and won,t fragment, and while I'm sure to hear a few different opinions Ive used the same ammo in my marlin 1894 carbine with equally good results
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/0000690227/6-Cavity-Mold-C430-310-RF-

B
Bling Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
How do you know what a good holster is. Seems some say a "good solid holster and always leather". How do you know

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
For what it's worth, I finished off a big old cow elk who decided not to stay down when we approached her. It was an intinctive thing and I got her in the back of the head from 30-35ft with a 40 and 180gr XTP. It hit her about 4" behind the skull and shut her off like a switch.

I've tested 310's at 1200 and 1400 in milk jugs. You'll need at least 12. I only had 10, then 11.

Last edited by HuntnShoot; 05/11/15.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

145 members (2500HD, 2UP, 405winash, 6mmCreedmoor, 10Glocks, 13 invisible), 1,747 guests, and 932 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,127
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.