Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Iam having trouble casting my Zebco 33s with a7ft rod using fluercarbon(sp?).78 years young and arthritis keeps me from using good baitcasting or spinning reels. Would a 7ft10" more limber rod and a Abu Garcia reel be a better combo?Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

Jimbob
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I like the Abu Garcia reels. I use them for the kids fishing crappie. You might try the new Berkley nanofil 6lb test. I am getting twice the distance compared to mono from my spinning reels. A good 7' 1/32 to 1/4 rod will help tremendously too. I cast 1/32 oz crappie jigs with that combo.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
First you shouldn't be using flourocarbon line on a spincast reel or any reel that you're looking for distance out of. at least half the casting distance is a result of the rod and the bad part is that all the rods for spincast reels are not really that good. A better option is, if you can handle them, an underspin reel with a quality spinning rod.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Try using a spinning reel instead of a spin cast reel. I prefer Shimanos

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by reelman
First you shouldn't be using flourocarbon line on a spincast reel or any reel that you're looking for distance out of. at least half the casting distance is a result of the rod and the bad part is that all the rods for spincast reels are not really that good. A better option is, if you can handle them, an underspin reel with a quality spinning rod.

I fish any spinning rod with spin cast reels. I just fish them downside up. Never had any issues. My kids can't use a spinning reel yet. I do much prefer a spinning reel but just because there are no real quality spincast reels on the market.

I can't really inagine how a spinning reel would be harder on arthritis than a spincast though. If you shop around for the right combo you can use your whole hand forward on the reel and won't have to hold it between your fingers. I often use one like that when my hands hurt from a long day fishing a spinning reel.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Besides the arthritis, you didn't mention what your troubles are with your current outfit. If it's distance, it may be the line or the reel. I'd first suggest switching back to mono versus fluorocarbon. Some fluoro lines are just awful from any kind of spin or spincast reel. Spincast reels especially are designed for - and demand - a very limp monofilament line like Trilene XL.

You might try to find a spincast reel with the largest possible opening in the shroud. During a cast, the line has to make almost a 180° turn off the spool, followed immediately by a 90° turn through the shroud opening. That's tough for any line, and doubly so for a thick, wiry line.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Put some Berkley Nanofil on that reel and you will get nearly twice the distance and feel every strike a lot better too.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Will second the earlier opinion, the reel is the problem, likely made worse by he line.

Use a good light or ultralight spinning reel (I too like Shimano, but I don't think the brand matters that much) with the lightest monofilament line you can get away with.

I do a lot of trout fishing, using just a leaf worm on a hook, no weight on small trout streams. I use an ultralight reel with a 6 foot ultralight rod. 4 pound line. Casting almost no weight 20 to 25 feet.

I also do a fair amount of smallmouth bass fishing, and like to use a large leech on a hook, no weight, and use a medium reel and rod. Again casting very little weight.

You will not get the same distance out of the reel you are using, I tried them, they dont work.

A longer rod is an advantage, but won't overcome a reel that won't feed out line smoothly.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
All due respect, cv, but he said he CAN'T use a spinning reel due to arthritis.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
While I mainly use spinng reels and braid I have a few Pflueger Cetina spin cast and underspin reels that I keep around. In particular I like the underspin version with 6# fluorocarbon on a spinning rod and get have gotten some pretty good results with light lures. Casts smooth and so fat no real problems at all. They do much better than any of the 33s or other spin cast reels I have messed with. They are a much better quality reel and once you clean them out they are pretty smooth for a spin cast reel. I managed to find a handful for closeout prices so they weren't that much more than the Zebco's.

The last one I got was off eBay for around $20. I would try one of their newer President spin cast or underspin reels before I bought another 33. Just be sure to clean them out and add fresh lube.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for all the suggestions. Really appreciate all .

Jimbob

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1minute, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 16penny, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 54 invisible), 2,300 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,911
Posts18,498,251
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.