Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I heard that 7 people were killed in the derailment...

has anyone heard if Jesse Jackson's and Al Sharpton's Entourage were on the AmTrak at all???

I just want to make sure they are all right, just in case they were..... whistle

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Congress cut lots of funds that were going to Amtrak today as well. Just hours after the derailment.

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/amtrak-crash-hits-home-for-lawmakers-who-respond-118880314740.html

Wonder if this is the beginning of the end for Amtrak?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Electing a conservative pres. next year would help privatize Amtrak...

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
I had no idea that they could run that fast.

We rode Amtrak to FL from DC last Thanksgiving (with a sleeper car) and my GPS had us routinely 80-100 mph. I've ridden the Acela several times to NY/Boston and seen 120 mph on the legs from Baltimore and Philly and then from Providence to Boston. Most of the rest of the infrastructure is speed limited.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Even it the auto failed, how the he** can you not tell you are going 100 mph?

Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

When in the Course of human events......
IC B2

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by 4ager
My wife rides Amtrak quite often, and we know this route.

The train is quite frequently late.

Exceeding the recommended speed in order to make up time is the most plausible.

106 mph in a 50 mph posted curve????? This guy is toast!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
They are saying that he was flying at over 100 mph on a curve with a speed limit of 50...

Imagine a Greyhound bus going off a curve at over 100 mph.

It's amazing more didn't die.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER

Privatizing Amtrak will do nothing to help their financial situation. Railroads pay for their infrastructure (right-of-way, track, controllers, systems) while airlines have free infrastructure (air is free) and the Air Traffic control System is reimbursed for only a fraction of the cost.

Freight railroads do not have a system-wide comprehensive schedule to run; they run when the train is full (within limits). A passenger railroad must leave and arrive on schedule within minutes of the scheduled time or get a black eye, regardless of load density

If we need to relieve air traffic in congested corridors, rail is an answer and we need to be willing to pay for it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER

Privatizing Amtrak will do nothing to help their financial situation. Railroads pay for their infrastructure (right-of-way, track, controllers, systems) while airlines have free infrastructure (air is free) and the Air Traffic control System is reimbursed for only a fraction of the cost.

Freight railroads do not have a system-wide comprehensive schedule to run; they run when the train is full (within limits). A passenger railroad must leave and arrive on schedule within minutes of the scheduled time or get a black eye, regardless of load density

If we need to relieve air traffic in congested corridors, rail is an answer and we need to be willing to pay for it.

I'm shocked, SHOCKED, that you are for the continuation or expansion of a .gov program.

<insert sarcasm font>

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by djs
[quote=BOWSINGER]
rail is an answer and we need to be willing to pay for it.

Why should I have to pay for something that I don't use, and does not benefit me? I could care less if there was no Amtrack along with 97% of the people in this country. The people that use it can pay the real cost or needs to go away.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
CSX owns the rails, regardless of who's train is on it.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bigfoot
I hear it's speed was automated. Autopilots are great until they fail. In 2013 an Amtrack disrailed in NYC, it was also going 100 around a 30MPH curve. Co-incidence? I'm thinking 100 is terminal velocity, when that autopilot fails and the engineer is too busy looking at his Iphone bad things happen.

And they want us to ride in automated cars.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Funny how when a truck crashes it is the drivers fault. Period. He will be fined on the spot, for something, and have to go to court to defend himself. But when these things happen they have to investigate and take forever to make a determination. Not saying it is always the engineer, but he does not have to steer and there is not a lot of traffic to watch out for. If anything but a train is on the tracks it is understood that it should not have been there. Not a railroader and I am sure there is a lot I do not understand but JMHO

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He can't drive 55.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Was a drug screen done or did this guy leave to sober up?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'm betting the Engineer was drunk, since he's already lawyered up. Hope I'm wrong, but they said he applied the brakes AFTER the train started in to the curb
at 106 mph

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I'm betting the Engineer was drunk, since he's already lawyered up. Hope I'm wrong, but they said he applied the brakes AFTER the train started in to the curb
at 106 mph

They will know pretty much right away. After any fatality the engineer has to give blood for a tox screen pretty much as soon as they get him off the engine even if it's a road crossing accident.

Deserve's got nuthin to do with it- Willam H Munny
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd investigate his political leanings as well.. Home grown perhaps. I see no way that this was an accident.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is an article out now, fairly informative, that indicates that he's a gay rights activist...so you can pretty well guess where his political sympathies are.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nvestigators-statement-deadly-crash.html

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
They won't need a court order for his cell records, ntsb probably had them within hours of the crash. Not sure what the max speed for that subdivision is but for most of the country except for certain places on the east coast, with certain trains max speed for passenger trains is 90mph. At 3-5 over the max speed the engines over speed sensor would have set the bakes unless manually cut out. If the engineer put the train in emergency I would guess it was a mistake not a deliberate act. If the conductor did it from back in the train it would make me wonder. That is something the event recorder data will tell them.

Deserve's got nuthin to do with it- Willam H Munny
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 3,095 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,486
Posts18,471,896
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.